X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I don't feel important

Anyone else feel like this? On the other hand, does anyone feel like what they do IS important and can explain to me what puts you into this state of mind?

I sometimes feel like all is for naught. I can't seem to motivate myself to work hard. I'm not just talking about social situations- I mean work, school, and life in general. I don't feel like I have much to offer, and anything I work at doesn't seem good enough to be of any long-term benefit to me, my family, or anyone else.

Even if I do something that intellectually seems beneficial, the people who are close to me in my life don't seem to care IN THE RIGHT WAY. They care about the ends but not the means. For instance, my family cares if I get a degree or make money, but they don't care about how I get there. But I need support during THE PROCESS which I don't get. I mean, I wish they would care about what I learned and how, if I feel at peace, if I made friends, etc. I don't feel like the process of improving myself is valued and appreciated.

While I write this, the thought keeps coming to my head that motivation must come from within, but I'm not sure if that's entirely true. I think I also need to be surrounded by people who approach things in life with great care and importance- it inspires me to take the same approach.
alohomora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I feel like that. I get frustrated that everything seems pointless. I have no end in sight so it's hard to keep going. Occasionally I will get excited about a new interest or something, and then I'll tell my mum about it and she'll not pay any attention because she says she knows I'm all talk because in the past I'll talk about what I'm going to do then not do it. I might be kidding myself, but I think I would have given up a little less if I'd had some support or at least some interest from other people.

It would be nice for other people to help give motivation but you can't rely on people 100% so I suppose you do have to motivate yourself. And I think as long as you're living your principles and goals without trampling on other people, life could be good.

Easier said than done.
jellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reading some of your posts (only a few) you sound pretty smart. Just like most intellectual young adults a little confused.

Just stop trying to please everyone, it's not worth it.
jblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblazer View Post
Reading some of your posts (only a few) you sound pretty smart. Just like most intellectual young adults a little confused.

Just stop trying to please everyone, it's not worth it.
Oh geez, thanks. I'm a retard when it comes to practical matters of life :P And yeah, I do like to please people. That may be my downfall.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
kos

tbh, none of us are very important and those who act important are even less important then we are important lol. It all boils down to how much money you have because if you have a big house and nice car then your are successful which = important in the eyes of society.
kos is offline   Reply With Quote