X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I cannot hold a train of thought.

Whenever I post anything on the Internet I can never say (type) more than about a short paragraph or two without getting kind of confused and losing my train of thought and saying "***** it, I don't have time to figure out what exactly I'm trying to say." It sucks. Maybe I'm just lazy. When I'm writing other things I can go for maybe a page or so, but then the same thing always ends up happening. I see other people making long-*** posts on message boards all the time and I don't know how they do it.

Anybody else have brain problems like this?
person86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: I cannot hold a train of thought.

I have that problem too... my train of thought usually goes chugging around the bend before I can finish a complicated message

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

oh yes i have the same problem. i have a hard time expressing myself in words on paper and face to face..... ugh i have something to say but i just cant get it out on paper fast enough and i forget stuff.... also, everything comes out jumbled and choppy, and confusing and it doesnt flow at all. oh well
Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, it's nice to see that three people on this board are as screwed up as I am. Maybe we should all get together and say short, badly put together things to each other.
person86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: re: I cannot hold a train of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by person86
Well, it's nice to see that three people on this board are as screwed up as I am. Maybe we should all get together and say short, badly put together things to each other.
Hmmm I am willing to bet its more than three. I arrange, rearrange and change posts all the time. And even after doing all that, I still think I sound like an idiot 99% of the time.

WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm the same way, depression has sucked all the energy out of me.
KimberlyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: re: I cannot hold a train of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly69
I'm the same way, depression has sucked all the energy out of me.
Inability to focus is a symptom of depression, one that was really tough on me, since my job requires lots of focus. So I know how you all feel, too.

coverto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, I have this same problem. This is one of the reasons I rarely post. A lot of times I'll intend on posting something or replying to a PM or whatever, but end up putting it off for weeks at a time, in some cases just dropping it completely. I find the whole process to be very mentally draining with little pay off.

Also, I think because of how unnatural it feels for me to express myself in this way, I'm unable to write things starting in sequential order; instead, I'll start with whatever is on my mind, and worry about making it sound remotely coherent afterward. And I'm sure this is probably noticeable in my posts, too (which is all the more reason not to post).
Hikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Depression and anxiety eat up mental processing power.
Pinzelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

yes, most definitely. I have the inability to express my thoughts in a satisfactory mannner. What i find the most annoying is that I know exactly what I want to say but somehow my thoughts become disordered when I attempt to express myself verbally or in written form.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yup, me too. It's not as uncommon as you might think, apparently. Lack of focus has long been a problem of mine
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

Quote:
I cannot hold a train of thought.
try holding one of the cars, they weigh less
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm the same way. (I'm not even going to provide examples for this exact reason )
If I believe, there is no end.
Restless Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, I have the same problem, too. Although I sometimes write long letters, I always fear of making mistakes and check them a million times before finally posting them. Then my mind changes again and I try to edit, edit then edit. If I find any mistake then can't edit, then I would feel terrified and that mistake would come to haunt me the rest of the day.
better_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am exactly the same way and although it might seem to just be irritating but harmless, in my case it happened to pretty much destroy my whole life! Sounds a little dramatic? Well check this out....and plz bear w/ me b/c this probably won't make since either after I'm finished but...I have always had a problem w/ alcohol b/c of my general anxiety and social phobias and as we all know alcohol makes us more relaxed and confident and so I have done my fair share of partying and have had 3, yes 3, DUI's. My last DUI changed everything and my parents took me to court to take custody of my two boys (my husband went to prison for trying to kill me, which is a whole other story, but I was a single mom and not handling it well) and the guardian ad litem for the court came to my house to interview me and I was so wrapped up in emotions and I knew how important this interview was and I got so nervous and panicky that I completely blew it. The guardium ad litem said in her report that I was incapable of answering her questions in a coherent manner, that I rambled, was incapable of understanding how my son's feel, disoriented, I could not complete a thought, I rambled, etc., etc., etc. So, needless to say, I lost custody of my boys and now my life has been changed forever b/c of my inability to hold a train of thought or express myself the right way and b/c I had a panic attack at the most important moment of my life and I blew it and there is no way to go back and change it no matter how much I want to.

Hopefully, some of that makes sense to somebody. I am just mentally drained today and that is a hard subject for me so I really didn't do it justice but maybe it will help someone in some way.
freeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

The train of thought thing is more verbal/conversation-like stuff. I always fear that I have switched to a tangent. I could be talking to somebody, and then seemingly "jump out" and do a topic check to see if I am being consistent .

I have less trouble with typing.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Well, I want to say "I've had this issue and dealt with it" but I don't know where to start. Lost capacity to stop thoughts (read: make coherent) at about 23. The constant flow gradually became a mild unsteadiness (which I will have to live with, if I find no alternative).

It doesn't seem to matter how systematic I am, structurally (statement a, b, c).
It could be associated with a shift towards memory dominant thinking (as opposed to mind dominant thinking, since my brain is spewing out things I think I will remember).

It has been very hard on family.
Was unaware of anyone struggling with this, till now.
But: a balance between pleasure and pain, affords all possibilities (in other words, if I can just strike the right balance, it may indeed come good).
Godservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinzelhead View Post
Depression and anxiety eat up mental processing power.
I thought this was really helpful:

that we have a reserve of processing power, which we can use for good or bad.

(its important not to cancel trains of thought, just because they are not working, immediately)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Start with something smaller, try only holding a tricycle of thought.
falling down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeme View Post
Hopefully, some of that makes sense to somebody. I am just mentally drained today and that is a hard subject for me so I really didn't do it justice but maybe it will help someone in some way.
Wow, what a story! It's hard for me to imagine losing so much over such a seemingly small problem.

What you wrote, read fine!