how to stop intrusive and disturbing images as im trying to sleep - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to stop intrusive and disturbing images as im trying to sleep

It is happening very frequently now . As am trying to sleep very disturbing images play in front of me inside my head for no reason. These images or little movies are so frightening and disconcerting it is like nothing you have ever seen in a horror/terror movie . I dont believe this is caused by exposure to violent and terror movies or video games since i despise any of that crap . I hate violence on the media and movies such as "the saw " are not appealing at all and never saw not even the first part of it. Then the anxiety pops in the middle of all that and i feel im struggling between getting those images out of my head and calming myself down and finally drifting off to sleep.
Then when i finally get some sleep , all i dream about is sex. Almost everyday without fail a women (i am a girl) that looks like me but its not really me gets naked and tries to get me off with les sex. It seem like a good dream but its really not because they are 1.invasive 2. not based off anything from real life since i am not into any girl or boy right now 3. they arouse m but when i wake up theres no one there to get me off lol

On top of that i feel like im tunning in to something around me . I hear some voices whispering in a low tone some ****ing gibberish or half words that i cannot understand what they are trying to say .but that doesnt happen to me in the morning , i am a pretty average person who is currently receiving medication to deal with hormonal problems and my skin disease at the same time.

I have recently moved to a new place where i dont know anyone and not being the epitome of socialization i feel very lonely . So what would be your general opinion overall and how do i stop the scary images from happening before they start?
kiwikiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might try a guided or focused type of meditation to relax you mind a bit before your bedtime so that you're actively setting a state of mind before you head to sleep. In regard to the sex dreams I don't think that's very out of the ordinary for anyone but I can imagine waking without someone to pounce on is frustrating. Again you might try a session with the self before bed so that's already covered, might help distract from these visions you mention as well. That's about all I've got for advice, if you see a therapist of some kind then you might consult them as well

"Je ne comprends pas"

"But a blight had come over my existence...Company was irksome to me;
when alone, I could fill my mind with the sights of heaven and earth...
and I could thus trick myself into a transitory peace. But busy,
uninteresting, joyous faces brought back despair to my heart.
I saw an insurmountable barrier placed between me and my fellow-men"

"Shikata ga nai"

Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Something I used to do, but of course it's not medically recommended and I have no idea why it worked, but...

When I couldn't sleep, I used to force myself to think of an object (any object), and then after that, think of another object that is in NO WAY related to the previous object.

The important part is to make sure it's not related in ANY WAY. Not the same category, etc... so if the first object was a monkey, the next one can't be an animal, brown, hyper, etc...

So maybe you get the idea? You end up forcing your brain to think in a way that it's not accustomed to, and it tires you out fairly quickly. You have to stick with it for at least an hour though.

And none of this has ever been corroborated by a medical professional. It just used to work for me when I used stimulants too late at night. But the key was to stick with it even after it got boring. Then the next thing you know, you wake up and think "hey, that worked!"
Thomas Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I get intrusive images as well....sometimes at night, but just in general. I was molested as a kid and sometimes memories will pop up of that day and it's quite tormenting. The only way I know to get them out of your mind(what I do)is close my eyes really tight and force other thoughts into my head. Not very helpful to your situation, but I can relate to an extent so you're not alone in it. I really hate all those "pop-up" thoughts

"Sometimes a person has to be loved before they can become lovable."~Ravi Zacharias

"As we have gotten more open-minded, we have become more closed-hearted."

My avatar is my art...www.myspace.com/illlaymedown
illlaymedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I get those, demonic sorts of images flash in my mind, monsters and other creepy things, but only when the lights go out and I try to sleep.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I read about some anti depression drugs causing people to actually be more depressed and kill themselves, also there was some drug they gave to military personnel to protect against some diseases that also caused them to see really scary dreams like you describe, it could be something of that nature, don't know.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
You might try a guided or focused type of meditation to relax you mind a bit before your bedtime so that you're actively setting a state of mind before you head to sleep. In regard to the sex dreams I don't think that's very out of the ordinary for anyone but I can imagine waking without someone to pounce on is frustrating. Again you might try a session with the self before bed so that's already covered, might help distract from these visions you mention as well. That's about all I've got for advice, if you see a therapist of some kind then you might consult them as well

thanks ,i have tried meditation but as soon as try to blank my mind out , it gives more opportunity for the images to pop out . Instead i am trying visualization . The last time i went to sleep a white wolf dog barked away the hostile demons and they divided into two teams which eventually faded out , but i think this is all connected with me not having much of a life . a deeply ingrained demon . thanks again...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotic1 View Post
I read about some anti depression drugs causing people to actually be more depressed and kill themselves, also there was some drug they gave to military personnel to protect against some diseases that also caused them to see really scary dreams like you describe, it could be something of that nature, don't know.

Chemicals that alter , are more harm than good thats for sure . thank you all , i am a little bit less anxious now...