X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to deal with people making fun of you at work?

Recently I've been making significant progress with my SA, including working a job I'd never even consider years ago. I work part time in a kitchen with a lot of people and there's a lot of triggers for SA, especially my performance anxiety. I force myself to do it though and sometimes I even have conversations with coworkers. I can tell that people know something isn't right with me socially because I stumble over my words and blush but no one has really given me any trouble until an incident last night.

These two boys were sitting down and watching me dry trays. I looked up and they were looking at me and laughing. My performance anxiety is horrible, I hate when people watch me while I'm doing a task, so I got a little angry amd blurted "What's so funny?" They started laughing more and one of them said something but I couldn't hear so I said "what? I can't hear you" and then I heard him loud and clear say "well I said it loudly" with a huge attitude. I just kept drying the trays and they sat there the whole time watching me and laughing.
And I know they were making fun of me because I got stuck with one of them waiting for the elevator and when it came he wouldn't get on it with me.
I always thought he was nice and I'm scared they're gonna tell everyone how weird I am and I'll lose the one or two people I've met that I feel comfortable talking to
And I just feel embarrassed and I don't wanna face them again. I feel like I'm in high school again after I worked so hard to build up my confidence after years of being made fun of
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Those guys are jerks! I'm so sorry that that happened to you. *hugs*
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, nice to hear you have a nice job. Too bad those guys are making fun of you, that's kind of the worst thing that could happen. I hope it was a one time thing, if it continues you could always go to your boss right? Maybe you could even tell your boss you have SA... I discovered trying to hide SA at work can mess a person up. Good luck!
TheNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madstuh View Post
Recently I've been making significant progress with my SA, including working a job I'd never even consider years ago. I work part time in a kitchen with a lot of people and there's a lot of triggers for SA, especially my performance anxiety. I force myself to do it though and sometimes I even have conversations with coworkers. I can tell that people know something isn't right with me socially because I stumble over my words and blush but no one has really given me any trouble until an incident last night.

These two boys were sitting down and watching me dry trays. I looked up and they were looking at me and laughing. My performance anxiety is horrible, I hate when people watch me while I'm doing a task, so I got a little angry amd blurted "What's so funny?" They started laughing more and one of them said something but I couldn't hear so I said "what? I can't hear you" and then I heard him loud and clear say "well I said it loudly" with a huge attitude. I just kept drying the trays and they sat there the whole time watching me and laughing.
And I know they were making fun of me because I got stuck with one of them waiting for the elevator and when it came he wouldn't get on it with me.
I always thought he was nice and I'm scared they're gonna tell everyone how weird I am and I'll lose the one or two people I've met that I feel comfortable talking to
And I just feel embarrassed and I don't wanna face them again. I feel like I'm in high school again after I worked so hard to build up my confidence after years of being made fun of
Omfg if only that were me... Hey imo you did a good job calling them out! You should have let out a, "the ****s so funny bro"? lolol

Good job on standing up! Legend man
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Depends if it were sinister... I'd punch them probably. Yeah punch them or just ask them for a square go after work.
arealghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Brawwwwl!!!!!
Rexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm sorry that you have to go through this OP, it's such a shame that you have to put up with immature ****s like that at work, they seriously need to grow up. I guess most people are more mature than these pricks, so try not to worry about what other people will think (easier said than done I know), if the people who you are comfortable with are decent, they will not judge you based on what two obnoxious ****s think.
apx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, it's good you didn't resort to punching the dude in the puss.

If that avatar is what you really look like, you're a lovely woman. I was born and raised in Boston my whole life and it was never like this before. Then again I grew up with the kindly Italian folks.

Massachusetts sucks for it's lack of respect. A lot of people were born with silver shovels up their tookhes, which means to them that feelings don't matter.

Don't let it get to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawi96 View Post
Arguing with a woman who starts the argument?? Blasphemy! You monster! Why can't you just settle for arson and murder suicide like the rest of the good folk of society?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotony View Post
Also if their watching twilight the only choice to barricade all exits and burn the house.
ScottyChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Is there any way you can notify your boss or supervisor and have them deal with it? Surely there has to be a way to deal with them, if they're (presumably) adults and still behave like elementary schoolers when they're there to do a job.
BigBlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Make them a cake consisting of laxatives and ipecac.

But seriously, other than complain to the supervisor which much like bullying in school won't do much, guess do your best to ignore them. They want to get a reaction out of you don't let them. They'll eventually give up. Stay strong, hopefully everything will get better.
Whatev is offline   Reply With Quote