How am I supposed to be a supervisor? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How am I supposed to be a supervisor?

I'm pretty sure I'm about to be promoted at work to a supervisor position and I'm freaking the hell out. I have such low self esteem and such chronic anxiety that I'm seriously doubting I will be able to do it. I have been having such horrible anxiety for the past few weeks thinking about the embarrassment of being put into this position and failing that I have been considering looking for another job just to avoid it. Anyone else would be over the moon that they were being promoted but not me, I feel like I've somehow fooled them into thinking that I'm good enough for the position and sooner or later they're going to see that they made a huge mistake. Ugh, this feels horrible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Poker Junkie

If they thought you were good enough for a promotion, then you are! I'm a manager at work too. I started at the bottom and got promoted despite my SA. My advise is "fake it till you make it." If you don't feel confident, then ACT confident. Nobody has to know.

I know I'm oversimplifying it, but that's all it really boils down to. I'm sure you'll do great. Look people in the eye, never lose your cool. Heads up man, you'll do great.

“The purpose of life is to give life a purpose"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Meek

WELL DONE ! Seriously whoever decided to promote you knows what they're doing. Yeah, you might be a bit quieter than your average supervisor but the fact you know what you're doing means you just have to think of yourself as a robot - an information robot with a task to fill you will be fine. Your SA must be under control enough for someone to think you're capable - seriously no-one would ever consider me for anything like that

Turning to poison while the bee-mouth sips...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
SAS Member

I too work as a supervisor and feel like an imposter, I just dont have confidence in myself whatsoever. Dont sabotage it. Fake it till you make it and the anxiety will subside sooner or later.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. I was promoted after a year on the job despite my quiet and very meek demeanor, I suspect because my manager found me reliable, responsible, and trustworthy If they want to promote you, they have their reasons. I'm sure decisions like this are thought-out, as no manager would want incompetent staff supervising.

Prepare for your shifts and make sure you understand your responsibilities, and do your best. Don't expect everything to go smoothly right away as mistakes are inevitable... Anyways congrats once again and best of luck!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
SAS Member

there are two parts my little mind can make out here:
#1 anxiety and what you're doing about it
#2 can and do you want to oversee other people

for 1, anxiety treatment doesn't mean mind-altering benzos. you can gain a lot of power over your panic with the right meds. I gave up on treating my anxiety after some near-death experiences while driving on clonazepam and/or lorazepam, but buspirone turned that around. maybe it will for you, ask your dr.

the second question is easy. do you want to be in charge of other people? not "can you...", do you want to? if the answer is "no", then say so. double-time. my personal hell would be working management with employees who don't care. could I handle it? maybe??? would I even want to try and find out? ****. NO.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverella View Post
WELL DONE ! Seriously whoever decided to promote you knows what they're doing. Yeah, you might be a bit quieter than your average supervisor but the fact you know what you're doing means you just have to think of yourself as a robot - an information robot with a task to fill you will be fine. Your SA must be under control enough for someone to think you're capable - seriously no-one would ever consider me for anything like that
no hate at all here, but are you folks familiar with the peter principle?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM
gaz
SAS Member

Congrats! Whoever promoted you must have seen potential otherwise why would they have done so?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page