X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default friends are overrated

as the title states, friends are overrated...friends are pointelss, expecially "friends" who you become "friends" with, without even knowing if you have things in common, expecially being "friends" with people whos only real hobby is drinking and smoking and partying dude, and, expecially if you know there is more to life beside "partying"...its very annoying when you call people to do healthy activities and activities that normal people do, and then its always an excuse to say no, and then you get calls at night with people are wanting to sit and drink, like thats so exciting, im sorry people, drinking and sitting gets very old, drinking at a bar and or club gets very old, the crowd involved in this is usually bad and or pointless, because these people have only one thing they like to do, party.

with this being said, friends are overrated, it is very hard to find a true friend, and when and if anyone can ever really find a true friend, they become family, so i suggest to try to stay close with some type of family member so you can atleast do things that are progressive in life, because when you wanna do something that doesnt involve drugs and alcohol, nobody wants to do anything, and then they expect you to just do whatever they want when they always blow you off when you wanna do something, friends are overrated, a true friend is hard to find, and people are full of ****, it is literally impossible to find a true friend who wants to do the same things as you, and when you have supposive friends with issues, they never want to admit them, and would rather just get drunk to forget everything and then say..."man, i was drunk, i couldnt help myself," but really, you can help it, quit drinking and acting a fool, get yourself together, im just truely sick of people expecting me to do things with them when they always wanna blow people off...

in conclusion, friends are overrated, good bye.
--Mr. SandMan--
Mr. SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: friends are overrated

I don't think they are overrated. I think you just picked the wrong friends.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6
I don't think they are overrated. I think you just picked the wrong friends.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

"When you're losing you don't have any and when you're winning you don't need any."-----Woody Hayes on friends.
Ohio Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Your right..Friends are OVERRATED...THEY ONLY USE U AND CALL U WHEN THEY NEEED SOMETHING@_@:
estelle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

friends are overrated, there is no such thing as having a healthy relationship with somebody who doesnt mind doing what you want to do, and then you doing the same in return.
--Mr. SandMan--
Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well i dont know what happened in your life to make you feel like this, but your last post makes you sound really naive. Of course its possible to have a healthy relationship with someone who will do things for you and vice versa. I am lucky enough to have at least a couple of these relationships. Sounds to me like you just picked the wrong friends.
ShyGuyy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree that it is very tough to find a good friend, I have found very few of them in my life time. But don't say that he "chose" the wrong friends...thats naive. For me, at least, I get very little "choice" in the matter...and I think it is like that for lots of us with SA. If you are too shy to talk to most people, and too socially inept to make friends like many of us are, then we kind of need to take what is given to us, or have nothing at all.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with you that having SA does make it alot harder to make friends. The few friends that i have whom i am close with i have known since junior high, back when my anxiety was not very bad.

But just because its harder for you to make friends does not mean that there is no such thing as a "healthy" friendship. That is simply not true.
ShyGuyy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

well, thats what i believe, cause as i said, i believe if a friend is really that close, its family...and if its family, its not friendship, its family...i just dont believe its possible to actually find, its not like i ripped out the faces of my year book and put all of them in an abe lincoln hat and picked out who i would be friends with, i met people who i believed maybe we had something in common, and no, we didnt, so with me, i believe there is no such thing as a true friendship, if some of you have found a real friendship, good for you, i just dont believe it, its not like i went out saying hi to everyone and made aquantences who became friends, ive known people for a while, and with the clear mind i have from not doing drugs in the afternoon and only smoking weed at night rarely as a "social" thing, i can now see things down here with everyone else in the world, instead of way up there...its not like im six years old, and i met someone and said, "do you wanna be friends?"...people who i know, ive talked to, and believed there was more to our "friendship" than just drinking and bull ****ting, but i was wrong...thank you and good night.
--Mr. SandMan--
Old 07-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

i like friends
doobashooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

not to sound like an *******...but your comment really has nothing to do with anything this thread is about, please read my posts and then post your comment, i will apriciate it, thank you very much, sincerely yours, nate.
--Mr. SandMan--
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

oh my bad dude
doobashooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think friends are one of the most important things in life. Relationships are very important.

You're just hanging around the wrong "friends" if you don't like them..
Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I agree that it is extremely difficult to find a true friend. But maybe it's just me because it seems like other people have no problem finding a real friend. I just don't believe a positive and healthy social relationship exists for myself.

Many people I used to be friends with no longer hang out with me because like you said, all they want to do is get drunk and/or high and go to parties. They don't like me anymore since I'm not into the whole partying scene. I was ALWAYS there for my friends when they needed me. If they were depressed or angry or happy or whatever, I was always just a phone call away. Of course, when I needed someone to talk to, they were always "busy".

Half_A_Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well aren't you doing the same as them? You both don't like to do what each other likes?

Can't live without friends.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

huh?

i can live without friends, i dont need to be emotionally attached to anybody to be happy, all i need is family...and it really doesnt seem like im respecting peoples ideas towards my thread, cause im not...but im not really reading anything that shows that you guys are respecting my ideas, so i come across the way i come across...and others who came in with lyable comments, i apreciate it, thank you...
--Mr. SandMan--
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

I dont think I need friends to tiring for me to talk

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey, I think Friends can be overrated if it is friends you only hang out with to drink and party with. If "Friends" and you can not hang out without drinking, partying in group settings, then i won`t call them close friends, more like people you know and is with because their also in the same group. I have plenty of these drinking acquaintances. A close friend is precious and not overrated. A close friend is not overrated. He is a person you feel comfortable being with most of the time. A person that laughs and find interest in the things you find interesting. A person you can share your hobbies with and respect your opinions and think what you say is meaningful. A person that find your personality awesome and likes being with you because of chemistry. A good friend is not overrated. Drinking friends is overrated.... My opinion is that if your just with friends to drink and party then your just drinking together because there always been this way and you don`t want closer relationships for alot of reasons. I would recommend to actively engage in finding new friends, while keeping your old drinking buddies till newer more meaningful activities with new friends is initiated by you. What do you like to do, that they don`t want to do? do those activities for yourself for awhile and maybe you meet somebody that also does those activites. find a sporty girl.
ApplesandGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

I like having friends, but i lost all my good ones and now im stuck with the partying,drugged-up,drinking,.orgy-lover friends who think thats the only way to have fun. and just to actually have a social life , i hang out with these "friends" just to get my mind off things and get out of the house. even though im not having fun at all the whole time im there with one guy going ballistic yelling his head off and girls sloppily drinking and competing on who can be the most "craziest *****" there./ but myself would much rather be at home playing xbox with friends or just a simple walk in the woods. ahh the dayss of good ole friends and halo parties.
Buriteri is offline   Reply With Quote