X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Facial expressions

This might sound odd, but in social sitations does anyone else have trouble emoting? I guess a lot of the time I feel uncomfortable to the point where I struggle to make myself smile. Even if I really want to smile at someone, sometimes I think my face hardly changes. It's very annoying and I think it probably makes me look kind of 'severe' at times. Back at school I remember my sister saying she'd see me around at recess and I'd always look really angry. But I don't think I look angry all the time. In fact, I think sometimes I look sort of sad because people will ask me if I'm okay.

People with SA seem to be overly aware of a lot of things and I think I'm all too aware of what expression I have on my face. It's like I can't just be natural and I'm always thinking about it. I love moments when I can actually smile and laugh and it just feels normal and easy. But most of the time it's very hard. Anyone else like this?
secretlyshecries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
JMX

I've had the same problem. I always had trouble smiling in school pictures, and I've had people tell me I look sad, or that I need to smile.
JMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alot of people have told me to "cheer up".. even when i'm not feeling low. But when they say that, it sure makes me feel low.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

toffee, I hate that too. When someone tells me to cheer up and I'm not even sad.
secretlyshecries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Nothing wrong with you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretlyshecries View Post
This might sound odd, but in social sitations does anyone else have trouble emoting? I guess a lot of the time I feel uncomfortable to the point where I struggle to make myself smile. Even if I really want to smile at someone, sometimes I think my face hardly changes. It's very annoying and I think it probably makes me look kind of 'severe' at times. Back at school I remember my sister saying she'd see me around at recess and I'd always look really angry. But I don't think I look angry all the time. In fact, I think sometimes I look sort of sad because people will ask me if I'm okay.

People with SA seem to be overly aware of a lot of things and I think I'm all too aware of what expression I have on my face. It's like I can't just be natural and I'm always thinking about it. I love moments when I can actually smile and laugh and it just feels normal and easy. But most of the time it's very hard. Anyone else like this?

People who really know you, know your not sad. you just dont where your hear anywhere near your sleeve. me on the other hand have a really hard time hiding any emotion. Someone once said that my inner dialog is always on my face.

This could be bad because im a nurse and i clean up smelly things, i feel bad for my patients because..... well just picture my face.

Also, i can make some really ugly faces. My mom always said, "How could such a pretty girl make such horrible faces."

MAYBE I HAVE TURRETS!
NurseBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, "smile," very familiar. Actually nowadays though no one does that anymore with me. When I was younger (most of my life) they did.

Maybe it's we're more sensitive and so we have a more serious expression. I think most important thing is how we feel about ourselves. Feel it's OK to look serious, to be sensitive. I think if you feel OK about yourself others are more likely to feel OK about how you are too.
kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a tough time with body language, I'll just be sort of frozen, my talking seems fake cos I'm not showing the emotion that I claim to be expressing - but that's only when I'm scared
Sloppy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeah...my boyfriend always says that i look sad or angry when i'm not. it always irritates me because i cant help it sometimes
dancerinpink19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sometimes I have this problem as well. I've been to a football game before that I enjoyed, but family thought I didn't like it because I didn't cheer, smile or anything. Also I'm asked if I'm having a bad day or why I'm not smiling every so often. I don't know how people will react if I even try too.
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes i can relate. I've been told on several ocasions ' cheer up, it might never happen' by complete strangers when I didn't even think I was looking sad or anything. It's like SA freezes my whole face and I just go round with this stupid blank expression. If and when I talk to someone other than my family I am extremely aware of my facial expression.
Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

when i'm around people i'm always worrying about what my face looks like. people tell me i look sad or mad when i'm not, and i don't even realize i have that kind of expression on my face. or when i go out to a store or something i always think i look scared. people probably think i'm so wierd. =/
ynattirb726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

I sometimes have this problem as well in which I constantly have to force myself to show emotion. It's the same thing with my voice as well. Imagine a generally blanked face person that will, when you approach them and have a conversation with them, will suddenly smile. How apparent the falseness of the smile will depend on how bothered I am/how comfortable I am with the person/how amusing I find the topic of conversation.
It tends to show when I'm around people I'm not comfortable with because I tend to go "stiff".

With people I am comfortable around, I sometimes have a problem with smiling too much.

I also seem to have a problem with seeming "annoyed" alot of the time as well.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakas View Post
Sometimes I have this problem as well. I've been to a football game before that I enjoyed, but family thought I didn't like it because I didn't cheer, smile or anything. Also I'm asked if I'm having a bad day or why I'm not smiling every so often. I don't know how people will react if I even try too.

WOW I can totally relate to this all the time people are always assuming that i'm unhappy or not having a good time because I cant give the same reactions as everyone else it's so tiring and discouraging and after they say it i'm like what was I doin how was I acting almost having to plead my case that I did enjoy myself and had a good time it almost makes you want to not do anything.
Bmg2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

I know what you're saying :\ I tend to either have a hard, blank face or smile too much. Someone I sit near in one of my classes constantly is telling me to cheer up >_> it's really annoying and I sometimes act depressed to annoy him, or FAKE SMILE sarcasticly.

But yeah, I reckon it's best to smile a lot and at the appropiate times and laugh even if it's not really funny. Because you seem interested and a happy laughy person...? :P
Wulf chan is offline   Reply With Quote