X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Facebook depresses me

The more I go on their the more depressed I feel. I go on their and see people with pictures of all their friends or see people that have a million comments on their statuses, or see other peoples events that I wasn't invited to. It's like why am I doing this, isn't friends a pre requisite of facebook. These are all just people that I know and haven't even talked to since highschool, and it's not like I even hungout with them then. I get depressed and sometime I just want to curse them out for being able to live their lives when I can't. The other night I went on to the google translator and found the translation for "**** you" in about 12 different languages and I just posted it as my status since nobody could read it.
SicilianuAmericanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

It depressed me too, then I just stopped going on. I feel a lot better since.
josh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dude, I had Facebook for a year and a half and only got 25 friends. I know how you feel.
Colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

heres what you do.

- deactivate or even delete it.

- go outside and explore

- travel somewhere, or if you cant then go to an area with not many people like a nice town that has a reputation for friendly people and just explore! you'll realize life is more than just facebook and partying and uploading pictures etc.

try meet new people weather it be through clubs or where you study. just do it. easier said than done yes.
then eventually you re active facebook, upload pictures of you and your new friends having fun and that will be your appropriate '**** YOU'

try it
super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well this is my second facebook I had one before a couple of months ago but I deleted it, because I keept getting depressed and post stuff as my status that I probably shouldn't have been posting. Twice I went to the movie to the movies with some of those people in high school that I never hung out with. But after that freaked out and deleted my facebook because I didn't want them to know that nothing about me has changed since high school. So I had no way to be in contact with them. But because of those two incidents I hungout with them my therapist recommended I get back on. I feel like I'm never going to be invited by those people again though, and I'm not gonna invite myself unless they openly ask to everybody who wants to come.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know the same feeling. I try deactivating it but I'm always drawn back in one way or another.

Nice to know somebody feels the same way even if it's a bad thing.
sben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Facebook depresses you?
Then why the **** are you on it?

If a legless person watched the olympics, and it made them depressed, you think they'd keep watching?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato86 View Post
Facebook depresses you?
Then why the **** are you on it?

If a legless person watched the olympics, and it made them depressed, you think they'd keep watching?
Lol, good point! But there's a Special Olympics for that particular case.

Hey, maybe thats what we SAers need - a "special" facebook!
Darren07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

EXACTLY! Honestly, I don't even know why I go on it. It is seriously sickening to me seeing all these people being so involved and active, and meanwhile I can't no matter how hard I try. It's weird, it is almost as if I am clinging on to a last string of hope in terms of a link to the "outside world" and a window to gaze into because after all I AM interested how these "normal" social beings are supposed to interact...

I used to use it because there were friends that I was more comfortable talking to on FB because of the convenience and the fact that it makes sense, but those people don't even talk to me anymore anyways. In fact they are the same people who pass me by in the halls and not even utter a peep. And the second reason was that I have two REALLY close online friends there, and I am not sure how to keep in touch with them other than FB although I do have their phone numbers. The thing here is though, facebook is convenient should I want to contact them, more convenient than shooting over a text for some reason. But who knows, it might be my FB addiction talking..it's kinda like when you're smoking, you CRAVE cigarettes... but when you aren't, you have absolutely no desire for one.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

It is depressing. I put up a wise, insightful quote from a famous person, 0 likes & comments. A girl updates her status saying "I'm single ", 86 likes and comments. That just shows peoples' mindsets and ulterior motives on Facebook...
StarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

A lot of people think facebook is crap; me too. it's the next myspace, a lot of people use just for friend-count collection, and to show off, that's the part I hate. I get tons of friend requests from people I don't even know and even, not even close to my area, I reject. But for some it's a site to keep in contact - even though we've never spoken for over 7 years - it's a joke
Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

FB is in fact more than just teenage solicitation. It's a major part of most people's lifestyles. If one wants to send a note to a friend, who would use yahoo mail or gmail these days? FB messaging is even more popular than the telephone...FB has created a global communication network. It is also at the center of the whole social media marketing thing and businesses too. So I wouldn't say FB is useless crap. It has become the next generation thing in so many ways which must be why most of us want to be part of it. Otherwise you feel like left alone....
TheVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDude View Post
It is depressing. I put up a wise, insightful quote from a famous person, 0 likes & comments. A girl updates her status saying "I'm single ", 86 likes and comments. That just shows peoples' mindsets and ulterior motives on Facebook...
^Yeah that's what I think is stupid about it. I never post status updates anymore because it's pointless since no one will react to it anyways. Nowadays I just focus on the games and I only add people for game-playing purposes, because if I add someone I actually know and stuff, they'll un-friend me soon after and that'll depress me. It's basically pointless, and depressing unless you have a decent circle of friends in real life.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

this is reason why I don't have any of that social networking crap. I don't need second by second updates on everybody's life. I mean good for them but I'm a lot better off without it imo.

Rock City, Kings of Leon
RetroDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Am I the only one who just don't have the courage to MAKE a facebook?
weil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear another person echoing my thoughts, although I'm sorry you have to experience it too. I often feel that way too when I read through the newsfeed. I find that ignoring the feed helps and just writing to the people I want and reading the replies, etc. (getting straight to business) helps, since it's a way to keep in contact with the people I want to talk to without having to be reminded of how left out I feel at my school. I hope that helps.
Phoenix Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh23 View Post
It depressed me too, then I just stopped going on. I feel a lot better since.
Same here. I actually deleted mine a long time ago. Have never regretted it. Free yourself!!!
Hazelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

You're not alone! In fact, even people without SAD suffer from "facebook depression." Check out this article:
http://uwire.com/2011/02/08/new-stud...to-depression/

In a nutshell:
"Facebook isn’t an exact representation of people’s lives. It’s only what they choose to share."

So if you see Tony's photo album of a Friday night out on the town with a bunch of pretty ladies, just remember it was ONE Friday night. The residual days were probably very mundane.
AllToAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

I know how you feel. The thing about facebook is, you only see what people want you to see.
I've deactivated mine briefly a few times but I did it again a few weeks ago and I haven't missed it in the slightest. I might get it back eventually but I'm not ready to right now. Maybe you should try that, it's nice not having to think about it!
Losm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's an interesting article. It's usually stuff from the same people over and over again that depresses me. My little cousin is one of them, she has over a thousand friends on her facebook and she posts a ton of stuff in the news feed. I think I'm going to give facebook an ultimatum. If t doesn't help me connect with people more, by August or September, I'm going to delete it.