X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does talking to people make you cry?

Sometimes when I have to talk to an authority figure or someone older than me, and I feel like I am being scrutinized, I really feel like crying. I usually do...and I can't even explain why, and it's hard to stop. The only way to keep from crying is to not say anything, and I have to say something. =P

I think I've heard some members here talk about this. Any coping advice?
Jenikyula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
imt

Default Re: Does talking to people make you cry?

Some authority figures tend to over do it, feeling the need to be aggressive as a way of showing strength. To our detriment, being already emotionally challenged, we feel they shouldn't express themselves that way to us. The emotional effects are different for me though.

When I feel this way, my voice get shaky. It sounded like I was crying (or about to) when I was younger though. I get over it now by simply staying calm and sometimes not speaking at all. Other times when it happens I get shaky and agitated. It depends on the situation. Sometimes it's best not to say a thing.

In my case I used to get even more emotional because my voice would sound weak and I'd feel weak (like they're picking on me), as if what I've said was to no impact. My problem was that I wanted them to understand how uncomfortable they made me feel. I wanted to be heard.
imt is offline   Reply With Quote