Does anyone know how to wean yourself off antidepressants - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone know how to wean yourself off antidepressants

I'm new here and was hoping someone could help. I was given citalopram 10mg, then 20mg and kind of self upped to 30mg because I haven't been able to see my doctor due to financial and insurance issues. I had an appointment today but it looks like my new insurance coverage won't kick in for a couple more days and my doctor won't be available for a couple more weeks after. So seeing as the currrent dosage is working but starting to die off, and I don't know when I'll lose this insurance. I think I'll just give up. I'll go back to the daily stomach aches, headaches, depression, weight gain and overall unhappy self, and hopefully my body will deteriorate to a nothingless blob of goo and I can not exist anymore. But while doing that I would like to avoid any life endangering side effects, so does anyone know how to wean off the drugs with the least bit of side effects. I went off for a couple days and my stomach aches came back in triple force, so I went back on.

I have a 2 week supply of 20 mg pills left and no 10mg pills. I can probably get one more 10 mg pill pack.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and I can't ask my parents for any money to see the doctor because they don't know about my depression or anxiety (even though I live with them) and asking my sister is the same as asking my parents. And I have no friends. So it's just me, and I need a way to get off the drugs without them knowing.
tweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

2 weeks at 20mg and one at 10mg should be fine or one week at 20 and 1-2 weeks at 10(cut em in half) if you cant get anymore pills. You should be pretty safe with this routine.

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
2 weeks at 20mg and one at 10mg should be fine or one week at 20 and 1-2 weeks at 10(cut em in half) if you cant get anymore pills. You should be pretty safe with this routine.
Thanks
tweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I went off paxil cold turkey. It was very pretty tough. I couldn't sleep and it felt like I had electric shocks going though my head a few times a day. The doc told me to cut the pills in half and take half a pill for a week at first and then take half a pill every other day for a while. I didn't because for some reason my pharmacy told me my insurance wouldn't pay for the refill. I wanted to go off anyway - due to side effects - so I just decided to go off cold turkey.
scarpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

It took me over a month to wean myself off Cymbalta. I got awful mood swings and heart palpitations. It sucked because they were capsules, so I ended up having to divvy up the powder inside just so I could "split" a pill.
cakesniffer is offline   Reply With Quote