Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Frustration (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Do you think you're truly a nice person? (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f35/do-you-think-youre-truly-a-nice-person-770057/)

PatheticGuy 12-14-2013 08:38 PM

Do you think you're truly a nice person?
 
I see people often referring to themselves as nice/kind people and whining about how other people are insensitive jerks or the old, girls only go for douchebags and whatever. It seems every one thinks of themselves as nice and everyone else is bad. Just wondering if people truly think that of themselves.

I haven't really thought of myself as nice since I was a little kid. I quickly learned nice gets teased and taken advantage of. Now I've never done anything directly mean or cruel since I was like 13, at least nothing undeserved, but I realize to many people I probably come off as a jerk, I've often offended people, and at times I've felt like my lonely friendless state is a kind of karma (at least in the sense of having broken the social contract) for having been a bad/selfish person and/or not participating in society/community. I don't really feel I'm in the wrong though so now I feel like a victim of some grand injustice of the fates.

Bluestar29 12-14-2013 08:51 PM

I never called myself a (insert any good adjective) guy.

Any self proclaimed nice guys isn't really nice. They are more acting to be nice to get something they " think" they deserve just for being nice.

Raeden 12-14-2013 08:56 PM

Nah, I don't think that I'm particularly nice. However, I also don't go out of my way to be a jerk, either. I don't go out of my way to do anything to others at all.

The best descriptor for me would be 'boring'.

InfiniteBlaze 12-14-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raeden (Post 1068863953)
Nah, I don't think that I'm particularly nice. However, I also don't go out of my way to be a jerk, either. I don't go out of my way to do anything to others at all.

This.

Alkalinity 12-14-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

They are more acting to be nice to get something they " think" they deserve just for being nice.
Or it could just be that the have no reason to act mean. I'm that way with everyone, there's no point in being mean. It doesn't solve anything. I think people only do it when they have low-self esteem and pick easy targets to pick on to feel better about themselves.

Thedood 12-14-2013 09:05 PM

I honestly think I'm a legimately nice person and I don't say that I'm a "nice guy" with any kind of ulterior motive or to "get" anything. If anything, my niceness is more of a negative and has caused me some pain. But I'm not changing who I am because of that.

PatheticGuy 12-14-2013 09:09 PM

Yeah but being nice is more than just not being mean. It's being polite, helpful, etc. I know that's difficult with sa but within reason. I've flat out refused to help people before with easy things because it'd inconvenience me slightly more than I'd be comfortable with, thus while I don't think I was wrong, I'm definitely not nice.

monotonous 12-14-2013 09:11 PM

yes

Bluestar29 12-14-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alkalinity (Post 1068863993)
Or it could just be that the have no reason to act mean. I'm that way with everyone, there's no point in being mean. It doesn't solve anything. I think people only do it when they have low-self esteem and pick easy targets to pick on to feel better about themselves.

If you were really a nice person would you really have to say it?

Anytime a person proclaims to be a "nice" person, I avoid them like the plague. they are usually not nice at all IMO.

crimeclub 12-14-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thedood (Post 1068864145)
I honestly think I'm a legimately nice person and I don't say that I'm a "nice guy" with any kind of ulterior motive or to "get" anything. If anything, my niceness is more of a negative and has caused me some pain. But I'm not changing who I am because of that.

Thedood and I were separated at birth so I'll just quote his response for my response to avoid redundancy.

Though, I will say that I'm more prone than thedood to be a d*** on occasion.

Thedood 12-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestar29 (Post 1068864433)
If you were really a nice person would you really have to say it?

Anytime a person proclaims to be a "nice" person, I avoid the like the plague. they are usually not nice at all IMO.

I mean, I guess if someone's always parading themselves as being "nice", I could understand the aprehension. I don't really go around saying it, I think my actions demonstrate it.

Sequoia 12-14-2013 09:29 PM

Truly nice people do not exist, everyone has his or her problems and many many faults to go with them.

Thedood 12-14-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crimeclub (Post 1068864545)
Thedood and I were separated at birth so I'll just quote his response for my response to avoid redundancy.

Haha, I always knew I had a long lost brother in Utah!

JH1983 12-14-2013 09:34 PM

I treat everyone with respect unless they give me a reason not to. I have no desire to hurt anyone or be mean to anyone. I'm usually helpful and polite, too. I don't claim to be a "nice guy" and I don't want anything for being nice, that's just how I treat others.

EccentricCat 12-14-2013 09:52 PM

I seriously don't consider myself to be a nice person, at all.

KingoftheRing 12-14-2013 09:52 PM

I'm nice to people, but I wouldn't consider myself a nice person.

RelinquishedHell 12-14-2013 09:54 PM

No.

RadnessaurousRex 12-14-2013 10:00 PM

No.

Lacking Serotonin 12-14-2013 10:17 PM

I'm genuinely nice.

scottx 12-14-2013 10:36 PM

I am reasonable with people I don't know, I wouldn't call it nice, more like indifferent. I go from that to looking downright unfriendly, but I am never forwardly mean to people unless they are mean to me first.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.