X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you stare at people & has it led to awkward vibes????

So you stare at people & has it led to awkward vibes???????????? -me, personally, I've stared repeatedly at the same people and I've been caught.........I've stared for different reasons, not cuz I'm a stalker and it's led to awkward vibes so that it makes me I internally panic when I see them.....
letitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I stare at people sometimes. But I am usually quite clever at not getting caught out. When I suspect their head moving slightly so that it looks like they are going to look at me to see if i am looking at them. I can turn my head away from them completely or I just look at the thing/ place next to them, so that it looks like i wasn't looking at them. And then when they turn away again, I sometimes look back and continue staring or i just get bored of staring at them LOL
So no, i haven't really been caught out staring

I have however caught people looking at me though and I think in my head oh no, she's staring at me, how long has she been staring at me for LOL
Georgina 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

From the master starer and awkward starer here is my 2 cents (also why is it called 2 cents?)
Anyhow, I always stare at people cause i'm just paranoid like that and have focus problems.. There's lot of reasons why i stare..

1. Paranoid people are staring at me so i have to look up and stare at various people and see that they don't "notice me" and relax.

2. When I see a hot girl, I just can't help but look at the beauty.. Sometimes I would stare at body parts but I feel kind of guilty after. One time I was in school and stared at a girls breast and she was like why are you staring at my boobs, I would reply well because it's big.

3. Try to stare at people in the eye when talking then i lose focus and get anxious and the stare turns into something that looks like I've offended someone or get other person uncomfortable... Or see there little smirk and see there making fun of me or something...

4. I also stare when im in public and see if anything out of ordinarly catches my eyes and when some kind of conflict happens it reduces lot of anxiety cause i'm not the only one making *** out of myself.

You can say i have a staring problem

They say you can tell a lot by what type of stare you get , kind of like picture speaks a thousand words...
monkeyisland91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's a bartender I wrote about in the Relationship forum that has been the ultimate victim in my unintentional creepiness. It's one of my favorite stories I tell. Here it goes:

So one night I go into this bar and I see this bartender there and I immediately noticed she looks a lot like this little know celebrity Kristin Holt. You should google her, she is insanely hot. Well, I was stunned and I would glance at her while she was working, and EVERYTIME I did, she would catch me and I'd look away really quick. So I thought, "Oh great, she thinks I'm a creep now." But I really thought I put it away one night when I went in to the bar REALLY tired. It was Saturday night and I didn't go home so I just sucked it up. I sat down and ordered my drink and I was so tired I spaced out for about a 50 seconds, I'm guessing. Nothing was going through my head for about forty five seconds until my brain went "someone's staring at you, Ryan," at which point I snapped out of it. I then realized that I was completely unaware that I had spaced out and my eyes just happened to be looking at hers. I freaked out and apologized and told her I didn't mean to do that, and she was actually very nice about it. I figured for sure she would think I was creepy. That was a few months ago.

Interesting follow up: She and I were making fun of the karaoke singers a couple weeks ago and some raging drunk guy said she and I had good chemistry (I'm not putting too much stock in a drunk guy's, opinion though) and that night she told me about a guy that was stalking her cause he was coming in everytime she worked, among other things. I went on vacation for three weeks and when I got back she asked me where I'd been. So, I played this prank on her by telling her that I didn't come in because she said that I creeped her out (when I knew she was really talking about the stalker). She kept trying to tell me that I didn't creep her out at all; and she liked me as a person; and I kept telling her that I'd leave. Then I came clean and she swore revenge and asked me if I was coming back on Saturday...which I am (she's all talk, she's not going to get me back).

I still have absolutely NO idea how someone as cool as her doesn't think I'm a creep after staring at her 800 times and getting caught. Anyway, that's my story.
RyanAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah at least your able to talk to her so i don't think she thinks your a creep unless you stare at her in odd way and she sees you back... (i've had that happened to me a lot and definately see creepy look girls faces).. I'm not a creep i'm actually just anxious. Anyhow, some females actually liked to be stared at ... it's like yeah thanks for noticing and makes them feel special.. (if you don't stare them in creepy way)....
monkeyisland91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't really stare at anyone unless a.) I think it's someone I know b.) I think they were staring at me. I'm kind of opposite from you, I try to avoid eye contact & I'm afraid that if they catch me staring at them, they'll start staring at me, and then we'll just be sitting there in silence staring at each other.....awkward. Of course I would quickly turn my head. LOL Georgina 22 I'm so gonna try that next time I get the urge to stare at someone.
britchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can't help but stare at beautiful women.
Jinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

letitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't so much stare at people as my eyes keep finding them. Accidentely. As soon as I realise I'm doing it I jump (out of panic) and look away. It can feel quite awkward if they notice.

I used to have quite a bad habit with men. Staring where I oughtn't to. It ain't deliberate or anything. Just a tendency to stare downwards to avoid looking at people's faces and accidently meeting with... yeah... That is bloody embarassing.

Getting better as confidence grows though.
cucumbermoisturecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like to look at hot/cute/freakish/funny looking people, but I'm way too paranoid of looking weird to stare, so I usually look at someone for no longer than a couple seconds. I do this kind of sweeping gaze so it actually looks like I'm looking at something else, like the window or whatever. I've pretty much mastered this since I ride crowded buses everyday and have to sit directly across from people.
scriabin221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'll stare at a hot girl sometimes, but most of the time whenever I stare at someone it's because my mind is wandering, and I'll end up looking at them with a blank mind. If I do get caught, I'll tend to look in their eyes for a second or two so it just looks like I was looking in their direction for a moment because it avoids that panicky look when you glance away real quick.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, I have staring competitions with random people. I always win.
Emptyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina 22 View Post
When I suspect their head moving slightly so that it looks like they are going to look at me to see if i am looking at them. I can turn my head away from them completely or I just look at the thing/ place next to them, so that it looks like i wasn't looking at them.
Ah, the ol' lazy eye. Obi-wan has taught you well....eh, nah, I don't think that actually fools anyone, LOL. Me, I am too shy to stare, but I am working on that. I plan to stare at people right in the eye. If they ask, I will say I thought I recognized them. Or that I want to kick their arse!!!! jk

Hey, ever seen a little toddler stare at someone? ha! I mean they absolutely do not give a ****. Toddlers are hard muther*******. They would totally dominate like in prisons...never backing down from a stare. I think they're completely psychotic. So all people would obey toddlers, even the most hardened criminals. Plus, also in hard-nosed business or government negotiations man. It's time we harness toddlers man. (Emptyheart, a toddler would crush you!!!)
rickthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrock View Post
Do you stare at people & has it led to awkward vibes????
All the time.
gaTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

I stare at hot girls. I think I'm pretty good at doing it without being detected. I did get caught a couple weeks back, but it didn't seem she was annoyed about it. It looked like she got a little shy.
Nathan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'd also like to point out that peripheral vision can work wonders, heh.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

I stare at people, sometimes they stare back.

I love a good staring match. When they look away, I WIN!!!

As for vibes, thats never really happened.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

I stare at people all the time. Most of the time people give me dirty looks when they catch me.
Aculaismyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

In my lectures, sometimes but not often I would stare off to space and I ALWAYS end up staring at the same guy. T__T Not only that, I always catch his eyes in class. We always have eye contact. I think it's really weird. It's making me feeling uneasy and awkward. The thing is that we never even talked to each other. I am always the one that is turning away first. He is not a shy guy for sure. I just hope I don't make him think that I am interested. T_T
I have a panic attack whenever I see him now because this makes me feel so awkward and uneasy. @_@
peachteax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

No, people stare at me all the time though. I'm personally too busy living in my head to give a damn about looking at other people most of the time, though I will occasionally stare at a beautiful woman.

"Life handed me lemons, I jumped back in the public eye and squirted lemon juice in it"

Metalunatic is online now   Reply With Quote