X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you hate shopping for clothes?

This is literally my worst nightmare. Everytime I walk into a shop I feel like people are judging me.
I don't have a problem with my body or anything, but thanks to puberty i've got um, a big chest, which always draws unwanted attention and is frustrating when trying to buy shirts.
Shopping kinda sucks in general though - Just walking around feeling like people are staring at you, eating alone, seeing people you know with friends, dealing with snobby employees.... it just makes me wish I could be confident and not give a s***.
Ms Yesterday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hate shopping cause I'm lazy to try on clothes and since my mum loves shopping and we're about the same size, I would just wait for her to pass down those she don't feel like wearing anymore. Easy right?
"Live. How many of us need to be reminded that living has nothing to do with trying to be as good as someone else, or trying to fit into some category, or filling in the blanks on some stupid checklist. That it has nothing to do with punishing yourself for past mistakes." ---Suzanne Selfors
DiscardedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

that suxs, luckily I buy the same color plain shirt and blue jeans and it's a quick in and out processes so there's no real shopping going on. But I do hate dealing with people at stores, like the mall is the worst of them all...
SOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

It doesn't bother me all that much as long as I can get it done quickly. I just feel anxiety when I have to try a bunch of crap on. I like getting in and out as quickly as possible, but I think it has more to do with my general distaste of shopping than it has to do with anxiety.
Evo1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Yesterday View Post
This is literally my worst nightmare. Everytime I walk into a shop I feel like people are judging me.
I don't have a problem with my body or anything, but thanks to puberty i've got um, a big chest, which always draws unwanted attention and is frustrating when trying to buy shirts.
Shopping kinda sucks in general though - Just walking around feeling like people are staring at you, eating alone, seeing people you know with friends, dealing with snobby employees.... it just makes me wish I could be confident and not give a s***.
I personally love shopping. There's so many other girls with groups of friends who look . . pretty average, I should say . . and they're just having a great time. There's a lot of diversity nowadays, I have noticed, and the best we can do is just add to that diversity and inspire other people to Come out of the closet

and into the Shopping mall
DeniseAfterAll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's one of my least favorite activities. I don't like to be questioned about anything or talked to, which is precisely what the people who work there do. I know that isn't their fault at all because it's what they're being paid to do, but I would rather be in and out of there without having to deal with people. It also seems like a chore to find clothes that I not only like, but are also flattering and reasonably priced. The whole experience usually ends in me being frustrated one way or another.
StrangetoBehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I rather enjoy it.
evakatalinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangetoBehold View Post
It's one of my least favorite activities. I don't like to be questioned about anything or talked to, which is precisely what the people who work there do. I know that isn't their fault at all because it's what they're being paid to do, but I would rather be in and out of there without having to deal with people. It also seems like a chore to find clothes that I not only like, but are also flattering and reasonably priced. The whole experience usually ends in me being frustrated one way or another.
I know that feeling. I've actually ended up in tears while shopping :s The whole experience is just seems so painful to me.
Ms Yesterday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah i hate it.

I'm a guy but im particular about my clothes, i can never usually find what i want and i feel as though i'm been watched. I just want to be done with it..

I also hate walking into an empty store, because the attention is ALL on me, and i know at some point someone will ask if i need help or try and talk to me when really i just want to look on my own and be out of there as quick as i can.
Lazarusx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I know that feeling. I've actually ended up in tears while shopping :s The whole experience is just seems so painful to me.
I have too! I'm just happy that I was able to wait until I got back to my car before breaking down. It's a terrible feeling.
StrangetoBehold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I used to hate shopping. But now i enjoy it.

The secret is to know that this place was made for you . They don't have the right to judge you .. it is you who are judging them. Their fashion, their attitude , their style, their reception etc..

You don't owe any one an explanation of your taste....you do what you wanna do in that shop as long as you don't break the law. If they hate it .. tough luck ..

In regards to your chest, don't care about men .. what are you gonna do about it any way .. your boobs are gonna be there.. and even if you have a bad posture they will still be there and obvious. Walk straight and dont give a ****. Have a good posture. Don't be ashamed of your chest . If girls are jealous, it says something about their insecurity and not about what is wrong or right with you .

You should buy books about assertiveness. It will give you an idea of your bill of rights.

Previous Meds : Fluxetinem Citaopram, Buspirone.
meedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gosh, I thought I was one of the few that felt anxious while shopping. I dont know if the anxiety comes from previously making bad purchases and not wanting to waste money or more so from other people watching me shop?
sladerancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
yep

I actually like browsing through clothes. But then again, I don't really have social anxiety (plzdonthateme). I have body image issues, though, so it's a bit of a nightmare when putting on the actual clothes.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

I don't hate it, but I do dislike. I have uncommon happy moments when I find a shirt that I really like, but other than that, I feel mostly sad. I don't like my body, and I have a hard time finding clothes that I love. I usually buy clothes that hide the shape of my body.
bracelets91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ugh I hate shopping... For me it's mostly the lighting in the dressing rooms that I can't stand for the way they seem to enhance features I'm less confident about... Plus I get tired and hot quickly. And the sizes... So hard for me to understand some systems...

The only way for me to get any shopping done is to go with my sis and have her pick things out for me after my instructions. Going with someone also distracts you from the feeling of "being judged".
Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

I hate shopping but I have to go do it soon. I usually spend so little time because I want it to end that I end up getting odd fitting clothing. Some of the time I buy things online. I've gotten some really cool things online, but half the time I have to send it back. My best looking clothes are all things I found online though.

Mostly I don't like looking at myself in front of other people because I feel vain.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
...thanks to puberty i've got um, a big chest..
man, those are big.....who can touch ( i suck are spelling...BTW..they just want to get in your pants...so be easy one them) those though?
paul oakenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am a thin person - some say too thin - and tall, but I have a pot belly. I'm male but I look pregnant! So I have always been self-conscious about clothing especially in summer. It doesn't matter how much weight I lose because it comes off other parts of my body. I tried abdominal exercises but that just builds lean muscle underneath the fat which doesn't affect the look in the slightest. I guess I am just genetically unlucky.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

It's a nightmare... it's always too hot in the shops as well, which makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I've even grown to hate shopping online! :/
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Ms.Yesterday should be Ms. present cuz the past will only depress you more. I know what you mean about the shopping. I hate shopping. I usually just make a list,get in and get out. These days I couldnt even leave my house.Take a shower,etc etc. Lost interest with life. If people are staring at your boobs they are probably judging you positively.(which is always a good thing)But somedays you dont wanna be seen. yep. confidence and not givin a s*** is what we all need.
xgodmetashogun is offline   Reply With Quote