X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you ever feel alienated from your friends?

I was just contemplating sending a friend of mine an email just to say hi and apologize for being uncommunicative lately because of all the **** I've been going through, and I realized that, she probably hasn't even noticed. I'm such a poor correspondent that I could disappear from the face of the Earth and she wouldn't even think twice about it.

I've always felt jealous of how easily other people seem to make connections. My friend and roommate Chels, although a total social recluse in many ways, is very, very talkative. She's able to light up the room and I've always envied that. I find it so hard to speak. I guess I've never entertained the delusion that anybody cares what I have to say, whereas other people never have any trouble thinking this.

People are so confusing. When I was younger I learned not to speak because I thought people were more interested in having someone who listened to them. Now that I'm older I find that people are a paradox. They want to be heard, and they want to be spoken to...but not spoken to, really, they want to be entertained. The prize goes to the person with the best act or the most interesting stories.

I'm completely rambling here, but this section is about frustration, so I'm going to go with it.
flickaflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Do you ever feel alienated from your friends?

We are all acting all the time. The entertainers among us get most of the friends and goodies in life.
wootmehver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't understand people who are social recluses or have social anxiety that are talkative. Forgive me if I'm offending anyone. Maybe they're just able to hide it better or they just want to distract themselves from the anxiety.

I've felt alienated many of times and still continue to feel alienated. I guess since I don't like to talk on the phone very much I don't get in contact with them and they lose interest. I would like to try to find people that have more in common with me or have anxiety as well. I think if we tried to find friends like ourselves or that had our interests (when we're ready of course not immediately) we wouldn't feel so alienated.

In the meantime we should just focus on ourselves.

"When my eyes are closed, dreams and reality are the same"-Utada Hikaru "In my room" excerpt (English translation)

"it's the sparkle you become when you conquer anxiety" Bjork, "Crystalline"
forever_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

What friends?

Actually I do have one friend who calls every once in a while. The calls are getting farther and farther apart. I imagine they'll eventually stop altogether, as I'm not really worth talking to.
Ohio Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

^ haha, my first thought ....ya..what "friends"...<_<.
estelle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

I feel like an alien, even to myself.
OKdOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
sno

The only "friendships" i've had have generally all been unequivocally abusive and unhealthy for me. Constantly manipulated, mocked, and made to feel worthless.

So i've been a loner, pretty much.

Hasn't really worked out well for me.

So, like, those of you who have good friends to back you up, be happy, and never let those friendships fade, don't take that **** for granted.
sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

^ Hey was it your birthday? o.o'
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
sno

Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle85
I did have a birthday recently, yes.

It was unremarkable.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_dreamer
I don't understand people who are social recluses or have social anxiety that are talkative. Forgive me if I'm offending anyone. Maybe they're just able to hide it better or they just want to distract themselves from the anxiety.

Hey, I'm a talkative social phobic. Though for being a talker I don't make sense most of the time, so it doesn't matter if I'm talkative or not. Most of the time I'm putting on an act to hide my anxiety as stated above. The funny thing is however, when I'm not being outgoing everyone seems to be happier. Can't tell you the number of times I've listened to conversations going between people that seem to get sabotaged every time I try to nudge my way into the topic. Once I'm in the conversation, I try to spice it up and make it interesting and then the former "outgoing" conversation freaks clam up and leave me talking to myself. In fact, sometimes it seems that all of a sudden I turn into social GOD and everyone else turns social phobic!

So lately I've been trying different approaches to this bullpoop occurance, and have come to the conclusion that while being quiet does lower one's chances of being liked, being seemingly TOO outgoing has the same effect as well. It's a lose/lose situation in my case. And I dunno, maybe some people were never meant to be socially acceptable, no matter how much effort the person puts into it. Back to quiet mode I go!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

yep, been there. I've always felt alineated with my friends. Partly because I've never been able to run with their train of thought. I happen to be so much of an idealist to the point that it frustrates people no end. They;re thinking of what to put you down with, and Im thinking of what all I should put up with to 'settle in' with their discussions/arguments/jokes.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Someitmes, if I'm depressed or just feel like crap. Because then I don't feel like saying much when with a group of people and end up drifting away from their conversations. At least when I participate in a conversation I'm contributing to deciding where it goes, and can make an effort to lead it to a topic that interests/affects/relates to me and I can further add to.

When one-on-one the 'conversations' can get very monologic, especially with my one friend who won't shut up sometimes.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickaflicka
I've always felt jealous of how easily other people seem to make connections. My friend and roommate Chels, although a total social recluse in many ways, is very, very talkative. She's able to light up the room and I've always envied that. I find it so hard to speak. I guess I've never entertained the delusion that anybody cares what I have to say, whereas other people never have any trouble thinking this.
Yeah, I felt the same way. My best friend and roommate from college also was kind of like that - a recluse who could be very nasty sometimes, but when she felt like being social she could effortlessly slipped into the center of attention, and everyone just loved being with her, despite the way she treated them when she was in one of her moods. I mean, if I treated people the way she treated them sometimes, nobody would ever talk to me again.

Yeah, I think it's true that most people just want to be entertained. If you're charismatic or funny enough, people will forgive you just about anything. I always was kind of jealous of her, and how she had a lot of qualities that I didn't that allowed her to be the way she was. Of course I never could express these feelings to her, so that made me feel alienated.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno
Quote:
I did have a birthday recently, yes.

It was unremarkable.

Happy Belated Birthday~~!
(hope this makes u feel "better"?)
Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
sno

Quote:
Happy Belated Birthday~~!
(hope this makes u feel "better"?)
Heh, well, thanks, i guess.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

No, but only because I don't have any friends in real life.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I know exactley what you mean. I've had the same group of friends since high school but now that we are all in college, I feel like im only their friends by "default". My friends are all funny or cool and it seems like i have nothing to bring to the table besides akwardness. They put up with it probably cause they feel bad, but since I figured out I have SA I'm starting to avoid them more and more. Sooner or later they're going to sever ties once and for all.
ScottieK00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

I only feel alienated when my friends want to go out and drink. It's because I'm not 21 yet.
MidnightBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Post Re: Do you ever feel alienated from your friends?

I have one friend irl. We've been friends for about 5 years now and i guess i'm lucky cos she happens to be one of the best friends a person could ever hope to have. We're really close and i can talk to her about most things, yet i often still feel alienated from even her. She seems to deal with most social situations with ease, can easily hold/carry a conversation and seems to have no trouble finding jobs. I can't help but envy that. She's just so much more "normal" socially than i am. I don't think she's the type of person who'd just stop hanging out with someone if she got bored of them, i just don't think it's in her nature to do something like that, yet sometimes i still find myself wondering why she is still friends with me
citizen_erased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_erased
i still find myself wondering why she is still friends with me
Because you are a great person.