X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you dread going to work each day?

Every day I hate the thought of going to work. When I'm there I count down the hours until I get to leave and each day I feel a little bit better because the work week is almost done. Even though I never have much plans for the weekend, I still prefer it a ton more than having to go to work each day and be around people that I would rather not be around. Then on Sunday nights I feel a little nauseous knowing that the whole work week is about to start all over again. Does anyone else feel the same way?
yellowdiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Somewhat, but being at work is about the only social stimulation I get.

I do get somewhat depressed around Sunday noon. I think "Wow, the weekend is already 75% over."
wootmehver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Yes

hell yes ! I feel that way everyday I go to work. The people I work with are a drain on me, I hate it. It feels like a prison. I get paid well and it pays the bills but I count the hours jjust like you.
KickingAndScreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't worry! I'm pretty sure everyone hates going to work unless you work at cool places like Google where they give you free food No, but I understand that sometimes going to work is emotionally and socially draining, but imagine being without work for a second. Working is better than staying home and doing nothing.
hopethishelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dread work constantly. Halfway through Sunday I think 'oh #$%@ I have to work tomorrow'. It's not good. I just wish I could get a job that's not dealing with so many people or talking on phones. I'm STILL looking for a better job... and hoping I'll win the lottery so I never have to work another day in my life (I don't care about the odds, I'm always hoping for that).
HannahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got a simple office job that pays well. It should be bliss, but other peoples' unhelpfulness and cliquey behaviour makes it a bit of a drag.

I feel like a social leper in there - yesterday a girl looked at me like I was going to pull a knife on her or something because I dared asked her a question!

Most people would rather cause 30mins of work for someone else than take care of their 2 minute responsibility, and feign ignorance to get out of doing stuff.

...and my colleague is a moron. She constantly tells me pointless things and asks me questions with obvious answers. I try to be patient and understanding, but after years of it, it beats me down.

My supervisor is a sociopathic bully. Seriously. A total fruit-cake. Fortunately, her duties are moving into other areas and the guy who is taking over is pretty laid back and nice.
AbsurdistMalarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just have so many other things going on in my head, that I find it worse to deal with when I have to go to work. When I'm upset about something that happened in my personal life and all I want to do is crawl underneath my bed covers, the last place I want to be is at work around other people...with no way to get away from it. It makes working 10 times harder when you have other things worrying you in your mind...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, work is an atrocity.
CeilingStarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdiamonds View Post
Every day I hate the thought of going to work. When I'm there I count down the hours until I get to leave and each day I feel a little bit better because the work week is almost done. Even though I never have much plans for the weekend, I still prefer it a ton more than having to go to work each day and be around people that I would rather not be around. Then on Sunday nights I feel a little nauseous knowing that the whole work week is about to start all over again. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I feel the exact same way; you couldn't have said it better. I'm not working right now because I'm not ready for work at the moment. But yes, I absolutely understand where you are coming from. But I would add that I used to love the long weekends when I was working, because it meant one extra day of no work, and thus no socialization.
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye--Kite by U2

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption
rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I just have so many other things going on in my head, that I find it worse to deal with when I have to go to work. When I'm upset about something that happened in my personal life and all I want to do is crawl underneath my bed covers, the last place I want to be is at work around other people...with no way to get away from it. It makes working 10 times harder when you have other things worrying you in your mind...
That is exactly how I feel... If I had the time to sort out all of the issues in my head, I could be more at peace with the world. Instead I have to go to work, and deal with all of the asinine issues that accompany it... My job only serves to remind me why I dislike people... I spend the majority of my time at work accomplishing pointless tasks, and it is profoundly draining.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

I 100% agree. I dread going to work. I get nauseous the night before and the time before I go into work. and I'm nervous/nauseous while at work.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

i hate it. as soon as i wake up in the morning i just think how im going to waste away yet another day doing something i dont like just for some money that i'll probably waste on something useless anyway.

at least when i was unemployed the days i wasted were wasted at my own pace doing what i felt like
Michael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, but it's worse after a weekend. Once I get into a groove it's not as bad.
Alvy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, I do. But it's not really the work, because I feel like any job I get is going to be pointless and mundane and generally awful. I dread going to work every day because it means I have to go out and face the world again.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

I am sure even people without SA have many days that they don't want to go to work, but I doubt that any of them actually dread it because of their fears. Sure many of them find it pointless, boring and a waste of time and they'd much rather be doing something else, but I know SA goes way beyond that though.

I totally dread going to work - it starts around 4 pm on Sunday and goes all the way through Friday afternoon, with many highs in between. Quite often on Monday mornings, I find myself crying as I try to get ready to leave the house. On way to work, I try breathing exercises and keep telling myself things are ok. At the end of the day, I am so exhausted that once at home I simply do nothing.

The thought of doing this for the rest of my life really depresses me.
victoriangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
S0s

I dread work because it pushes me outside of my comfort zone thanks to the sa. Weekends are the worst when I have a presentation or meeting coming up the next week and the anticipation stress is horrible. I have been prescribed xanax which I only take at work so I can cope with the sa. I love not being drugged and feeling safe on the weekends. On the flip side I'm happy to have a career and the ongoing exposure is probably a good thing.
S0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

And when you are at work virtually nobody knows or cares that you are suffering from a crippling disability, because it's all in your head. So you must be hiding out and making yourself miserable and lowering your productivity just for the fun of it, I guess. But even if your coworkers somehow magically knew and accepted that you had a serious problem with the structure and function of your brain and treated you with the greater care and consideration you deserve, you might then feel stigmatized, you might feel like "damaged goods." So you just can't win.
wootmehver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

yes. I have a good job and I should be thankful for it (in many ways I am), but sometimes I literally feel like I'm in prison. I hate devoting 8 hours almost every day to something that I'm not particularly passionate about, and then being too tired to do the things I am passionate about when I get home at night. I hate not having enough time to nurture the few relationships I do have because I'm either working or tired from working. I think it would make a world of difference if the weekend were one day longer. having only two days a week off really isn't enough to take care of personal business and have fun/maintain sanity. they fly by in a flash...and I definitely get the sunday blues many have mentioned. I had a pretty manic depressive episode just this past sunday...it sucked ***.

Quote:
totally agree with this. it's the most miserable thing having to be at work when you're upset or have something on your mind. I've always wished I could be like the normal, well-adjusted people who can manage to keep their personal lives from affecting their work lol.
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Every day I come home from work, I'm really tired. But I try my best to stay up rather than going to bed early, mostly because I feel that the next work day will come around too quickly...because every day when I get into work I think to myself "it feels like I've just been here...".
Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

There are varying degrees of dread. I think some are normal but some are poisonous. Here are the various degrees I've experienced, from worst to best -

- Pure dread. This one is most poisonous. The dread starts on Sunday evening and already you feel ill about work. You have difficulty even getting out of bed on workdays, and your commute is heavy as you emotionally try to prepare for another horrible day. You need to find another job or way of earning a living ASAP because life is too short to live like this. It's not worth it. Get out.

- Extreme dissatisfaction. You aren't an absolute mess like the scenario above, but you really don't like your job. It's more irritation and frustration than actual dread. You simply go through the motions and are constantly looking for greener pastures somewhere else. Sunday night is a bummer.

- Mild dissatisfaction. You don't like your job, but it's a job. There are probably better ones out there, but this one is familiar enough and it would be too risky or a hassle to find other work. You go into Sunday night with a surrendering sigh.

- Secure. Of course there are other things you'd rather be doing, but it pays the bills and gets you out of the house regularly. Just another part of life. Sunday night is "ok, time to go back to the grind".

- Invigorating. You are so wrapped up in your work you don't have time to think about what else you could be doing. This is it. When you wake up your concern is putting your to-do list together for the day and concentrating on what needs to be done. There's no time for dread, and Sunday night is just another night like any other.

One last note. Regarding personal life/ work life interferences, what I learned to do long ago was a life saver. I started viewing it this way - if I'm having trouble in my personal life, work is my escape from that where I can concentrate on only work and ignore the personal stuff for that period of time. Then, vice-versa. I go home to escape the troubles at work, leave them behind for another day and switch gears to my personal stuff only, escaping work problems.

Do not allow personal things (phone calls, emails, etc.) to go to your work place (emergency only) and don't bring work home with you. Keep them separate. Each one is a temporary escape from the problems of the other. I've found these "breaks" give you time to mentally cool-down and prepare to address any issues more clearly and with a level-head. It makes me far more productive in both areas of my life.
moneyman is offline   Reply With Quote