X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do people think I am mentally retarded?

All throughout high school i was a shy, really quiet kid. I played on the basketball team, not because i was any good, but just because I am 6' 8. I never really talked to anyone besides the occasional inane comment or a goofy remark. I had a group of about 10 friends that i always hung out wtih, but i was never really a part of the group. I just hung off to the side not saying much. The thing is though everyone was either nice or at least cordial with me. I never really got picked on or made fun of at all , which is odd becuase most high school kids are pricks. At the time, I didnt think twice about it but now that I look back on it, it kind of seems like maybe my friends only put up with me because they thought I was mentally challenged. It would explain a lot of things. Then again this could just be SA rearing its ugly head again and trying to bring down my self esteem.

(sorry if this is an incoherant rant, I've always had trouble putting my thoughts into words)
ScottieK00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Do people think I am mentally retarded?

Not unless you played "special" basketball.

They probably thought you were a nice, quiet guy. Simple as that.
gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

They probably didn't make fun of you because they liked you, even if you were quiet. Reading your post, you seem like an intelligent person, so I don't see why people would think you were mentally challenged.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

unless you feel that you have a learning disability like me than there might be some hidden challenges.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think most of the people who knew me in highschool may have thought I was mentally challenged. I also think that most people who get to know me think that I am mentally challenge as well.

I am pretty sure my extended family thinks something is wrong with me. They never hear me talk so what are they supposed to think??
SaigeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I too doubt if they do or did. I think they probably just thought you are "shy/quiet"

But with me I have indeed had people call me and refer to me as "retard" and "retarded," or ask if I'm "mentally retarded," so for myself I have to answer yes to the question. I figure I must have incurred brain damage from how I was born, basically.
eagleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Usually the guys that are 6 foot eight aren't the first ones to be scoped out by bullies.
colonelpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I imagine there were a lot of classmates of mine who suspected the same of me. It sort of goes without say that basically everyone here was quiet in school, but I was more or less catatonic. Seriously, I would sit and stare right into empty space. I'd only speak when absolutely necessary, and there were probably even days when I managed to go without speaking altogether. I even remember my 8th grade math teacher saying that on the last day of school, she was going to get a big jug of water and make me stand in front of the class and say every single word I've never said - I hated that ****ing ****.

I really do think people may have suspected I was mentally handicapped. It's difficult to explain, it's just the way they carried themselves around me. One particularly instance stands out in my mind. I remember this kid walked over to a girl sitting next to me and whispered (but not so low that I couldn't hear him) something in her ear like "I wonder if he knows what sex is!" Clearly that is not something someone would say about someone they view as "normal", for lack of a better term. I tell you, I would've loved to grab that little ******* by the head of his hair and beat it against the floor until his brains started leaking from his ears.

I don't know what it is, but as of late, I've been unable to talk about anything without descending into rants about various childhood/teenage traumas. Anyway, I'm not going to do that here, but I do have one more, and I promise it is relevant to the topic. So during 8th grade gym class, we used to have to play this Sumo-esq (minus the revealing undergarments) game where we stood in a circle and had to push the person we were facing out of the circle. Towards the end of the day when the gym teacher was temporarily disposed, and most of the class was doing whatever "normal" kids do when they're not supervised, and usually when I'd find a nice corner to stand in in silence, I was challenged to participate in this game once again, by a girl. I remember pushing her right out of the circle and she fell straight on her back. I remember everyone who witnessed this got a good laugh out of it, too, and even more humiliating, the girl was among those laughing! She got up and had a good laugh, and then challenged me a second time (which soon turned in a third, fourth, and so on and so forth), and being too socially inept to even utter a simple phrase like "no thank you", I accepted and proceed to push her once again flat on her back. I'm imagined this might have started to hurt her back after awhile, but she insisted on continuing, probably because like everyone else, she thought it was an absolute riot to see the socially awkward kid who never talks or smiles or displays any other human emotion, continuously knock a girl (even if said girl was her) on her ***. I remember a male classmate of mine even sticking out his hand to give me a high-five (and I imagine in his head he was thinking about what a loser I was), and I actually slapped his hand, which made me come across even more pathetic, like I was stupid enough to believe that I was genuinely being congratulated on my victory, not being mocked for what a socially inept fool I am. I can't begin to tell you what a freak I felt like right then - I may as well have been biting the heads off chickens in front of an audience of carnival folk.

Now, I'm not sure if these incidents I named seem irrelevant or not, but these incidents, along with many others, do make me think that I was viewed as possibly being mentally handicapped, or at least "off" in some way. I don't know if that's coming through in the way that I've described them, but that's certainly the impression I got from experiencing them firsthand. Oh, and I just remembered right now, but some time during junior high, my sister told me that she heard a girl I used to go to elementary school with telling her that she heard that I was in a car accident and that's why I never talked. Yeah, so apparently, there were in fact people who thought I was brain damaged, but I'm not sure if they simply thought only the speech center of my brain was damaged or what.
SomethingSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know that people think I am retarded or something.

I had one girl in my class tell me that I was really creepy. And then a few people said "yea" and agreed with her.

The people that I hang out with have called me retarded a lot. And make coments every now and then about how something is odd about me. And they have openly told me that they think I am "messed up in the head from doing too many drugs."

They just don't know that I have SA and think I am some kind of retard.
yrocis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default mee too

I feelcthe same way i feel like i been livibf my like as a diffvperson then wat i think i am put ppl are to nuce to just flat out say..are u reyarded u act like it..the only way u can tell is to record yourself during a normal convo or activity then rewatch it and see how u interacted in it...trust me i kno how u feel i wish someone would just sit me down and tell im diff i hate the wiedd lookscand ppl smiling at me i really hate myself and i think it all started wen i was little u never talked. Not bc i couldnt but just bc i didnt want to and that lead to ppl calling me 'tha shy girl' or say dumb stuff like u wonder if she can hear too? Wen in my head im perfectly fine i just chose. not to talk at school so all through elm. School it just stuck with me i was known as the girl that couldnt talk. But in reality wen my mom picked me up from school i would talk her head off! Lol
hateme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've been accused of "looking like I'm on drugs/sedatives/high" plenty of times. I'm sure I was deep in thought or imagination and not paying attention to what was going on in front of me. It happens. If you are a kid that's having some kind of form of emotional abuse at home and in school you're "the quiet kid" there's nowhere to turn but "in your head." I've spent a lot of time "in my head" whether its been thinking or fantasizing about something. I don't think most people spend nearly as much time doing either one and are pretty shocked when they meet someone who is so focused on their own thoughts. Don't take it personally. Most people just won't "get it." You can look more "normal" if you just force yourself to look "outside" and focus on what is right in front of you.
Mae West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hey, don't worry yourself about that. I've wondered this a couple of times myself but then realized how paranoid and irrational I was being. If those kids were casually nice to you and talked to you every once in awhile, there's no way they could've thought there was something up with you. High school kids ARE pricks, and for every kid that treats you nicely because you're mentally handicapped, there's a kid who'll pick on you ruthlessly for it. Trust me, if they thought there was something "different" about you, there's no way you could've gone through four years of high school without knowing.
Snowy Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=SomethingSomething;605664]I imagine there were a lot of classmates of mine who suspected the same of me. It sort of goes without say that basically everyone here was quiet in school, but I was more or less catatonic. Seriously, I would sit and stare right into empty space. I'd only speak when absolutely necessary, and there were probably even days when I managed to go without speaking altogether. I even remember my 8th grade math teacher saying that on the last day of school, she was going to get a big jug of water and make me stand in front of the class and say every single word I've never said - I hated that ****ing ****.

I really do think people may have suspected I was mentally handicapped. It's difficult to explain, it's just the way they carried themselves around me. One particularly instance stands out in my mind. I remember this kid walked over to a girl sitting next to me and whispered (but not so low that I couldn't hear him) something in her ear like "I wonder if he knows what sex is!" Clearly that is not something someone would say about someone they view as "normal", for lack of a better term. I tell you, I would've loved to grab that little ******* by the head of his hair and beat it against the floor until his brains started leaking from his ears.

I don't know what it is, but as of late, I've been unable to talk about anything without descending into rants about various childhood/teenage traumas. Anyway, I'm not going to do that here, but I do have one more, and I promise it is relevant to the topic. So during 8th grade gym class, we used to have to play this Sumo-esq (minus the revealing undergarments) game where we stood in a circle and had to push the person we were facing out of the circle. Towards the end of the day when the gym teacher was temporarily disposed, and most of the class was doing whatever "normal" kids do when they're not supervised, and usually when I'd find a nice corner to stand in in silence, I was challenged to participate in this game once again, by a girl. I remember pushing her right out of the circle and she fell straight on her back. I remember everyone who witnessed this got a good laugh out of it, too, and even more humiliating, the girl was among those laughing! She got up and had a good laugh, and then challenged me a second time (which soon turned in a third, fourth, and so on and so forth), and being too socially inept to even utter a simple phrase like "no thank you", I accepted and proceed to push her once again flat on her back. I'm imagined this might have started to hurt her back after awhile, but she insisted on continuing, probably because like everyone else, she thought it was an absolute riot to see the socially awkward kid who never talks or smiles or displays any other human emotion, continuously knock a girl (even if said girl was her) on her ***. I remember a male classmate of mine even sticking out his hand to give me a high-five (and I imagine in his head he was thinking about what a loser I was), and I actually slapped his hand, which made me come across even more pathetic, like I was stupid enough to believe that I was genuinely being congratulated on my victory, not being mocked for what a socially inept fool I am. I can't begin to tell you what a freak I felt like right then - I may as well have been biting the heads off chickens in front of an audience of carnival folk.

Now, I'm not sure if these incidents I named seem irrelevant or not, but these incidents, along with many others, do make me think that I was viewed as possibly being mentally handicapped, or at least "off" in some way. I don't know if that's coming through in the way that I've described them, but that's certainly the impression I got from experiencing them firsthand. Oh, and I just remembered right now, but some time during junior high, my sister told me that she heard a girl I used to go to elementary school with telling her that she heard that I was in a car accident and that's why I never talked. Yeah, so apparently, there were in fact people who thought I was brain damaged, but I'm not sure if they simply thought only the speech center of my brain was damaged or what.

my friend i respect you posting your coments on your special ability. parden i grammer because i try to understand this american language eveysince i moved to this country. i will not go into a rant but it is life and we have to go to GOD with evrything. YOUR sylance means prayer constant prayer and acoording to my LOrd jesus crist. ITs what we are supposed to do but interactacion helps to ease the pain.
TOTHEWORL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

yeah once in class, I was being teased by "friends", then I was so anxious I freezed up, mind went blank and I just standed there and stared at empty space, and one kid yelled, he doesnt know what to say, hes retarded!! and everyone laughed... didnt know what SA was back then and I really started to think I was kinda retarded, had no explanation for it..
OGKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

WOW.... 6"8 + SA = reaaally weird
Aribeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Doesn't sound like mental retardation to me.
Noll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

16 post with 6,535 views???
Advisor to the ill. Whoever gives an ill man advice gains a feeling of superiority over him, whether the advice is accepted or rejected. For that reason, irritable and proud ill people hate advisors even more than their illness.

Tipping the scales. We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgment to shine.

óN
Omgblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've had moments when I've wondered if everyone thinks if I have some kind of mental disability too. It's so frustrating because you want to prove them wrong. You want to prove to them that you are capable of communicating, and that that's not the issue. I've always noticed it more with people who are older than me. It could be because their intelligence levels really are higher than mine, but that doesn't even mean a disability is the issue.

Could be because there are still some people in the world who still aren't very aware of what a social anxiety is, so instead they automatically assume a disability. :/ Makes me wonder if I should tell my teachers the truth sometimes, just to see what they would say...
Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

I don't think people think I'm retarded but I bet they see me as incompetent compared to others, especially in school or generally in situations where I'm pressured to complete a task and I end up either needing extra help or finishing it after everyone else is already done, which happens often due to anxiety and ADD.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

catch them off guard and something clever to them
HungryHippy is offline   Reply With Quote