X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default do people ever mimic you

someone reminded me of this from another thread

it makes me so mad whenever someone repeats what i say in a mono tone voice, i dont know how they can think i sound like that when i dont!!

i just pretend to laugh but im really annoyed and angry and wonder why do they do that when im being nice to them, it pisses me off the most, i dont even sound like that!!!
ruinMYlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Like Vietnam "You dont know maaan, you wern't there!". People so are insensitive sometimes, they don't know it hurts. I get this from time to time, your right it's very frustrating, and pretending to laugh is what I do, but inside Im raging.
I understand, we understand hehe
What makes it more frustrating is that I can't really take the mick out of them, I wouldn't want to anyway, why piss people off like that?!?! I dont get it.
My911GT2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, and it drives me nuts.
odd_one_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

My immediate family does it all the time. I practise reading in an overly expressive manner every day and then I use that when I talk to them, since I'm so monotone usually they don't even notice that I'm using more expression. It seems to work for the most part.
strawberryjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

My family does this as well, mainly my parents. My voice is very deep and monotone, so they always mock it. It's made me loathe it, and I actually get angry when I hear myself talk because it sounds so stupid.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd_one_out View Post
Yes, and it drives me nuts.
I bet they couldn't mimic your art!
My911GT2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

People mimic me in a posh voice as in 'please excuuuuse me while I step out of the class' or sometimes they act fretful like 'oh my god, the sky is falling' they find it so funny.

Usually if I get an insult I make a mental note of who said it and completely ignore them, I toy with the idea of saying something back to them like 'If I want advice from you it'll be about obesity' or something. Then I wonder why the hell I'm socially anxious in the first place if I could express anger.

I don't get it often though, people are usually indifferent to me.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

People mimic me in a posh voice as in 'please excuuuuse me while I step out of the class' or sometimes they act fretful like 'oh my god, the sky is falling' they find it so funny.

Usually if I get an insult I make a mental note of who said it and completely ignore them, I toy with the idea of saying something back to them like 'If I want advice from you it'll be about obesity' or something. Then I wonder why the hell I'm socially anxious in the first place if I could express anger.

I don't get it often though, people are usually indifferent to me.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

yeah this happens to me quite a lot, i have quite a deep and monotone voice too which people used to mock a lot, so i started speaking slightly differently, with more expression but now it just sounds kinda strange, people are always asking me 'were are you from?' and they seem suprised when i tell them 'this city'.

no wonder i hardly ever talk.
nemesis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

If they do mimic me then they don't do it in front of me. They do it to other people though, at my work.
organicwildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

It happened to me before. Sometimes some people I knew did this as a raze every once in awhile, but I knew they didn't mean anything by it. Other times, I didn't really know the people who were doing it, so I knew they were making fun of me.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's going to sound like I'm a gimmick account, because of my avatar, but rest assured I'm not.

I have been told that I sound like a robot. I also have an accent, so that does not help. People constantly made fun of me for it in high school, but no one has since then. In fact, now people think that I sound mature, even though nothing has changed.

It would be nice to have a voice full with inflections and emotions, so I don't sound so darn bored all the time, but then I realize that 9/10 times I always preferred monotone voices in music/movies/etc.
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

It happens to me alot. I've also been told I remind people of an "emotionless robot," Ben Stein, and that donkey from Winnie the Pooh.
IWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Monotone voices are sexy *coughcough*

Did I say that?
soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

My voice has always bothered me. People used to mock me all the time, they still do once in awhile. I even had a nickname because of my voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
Monotone voices are sexy *coughcough*

Did I say that?
I think you did
nightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I tend to speak softly so people often ask me to repeat what I say. My family likes to mimic/make fun of me for this...it hurts my feelings.
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecelia View Post
I tend to speak softly so people often ask me to repeat what I say. My family likes to mimic/make fun of me for this...it hurts my feelings.
My family does that too. They don't seem to realize that it hurts me

I mumble, speak softly, and have a monotone voice... It's really not a great combination.
nightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

My family doesn't mimic me. They know better by now
Where my feet hit the floor in exactly the same place
Scrub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

they could try to but im the master of mimicking so i would send it back their way x10. i dont do it to people who dont deseve it though.
userabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

my younger brother alex does this to me! (he's such a brat) and when he knows you're hurt by it, he does it more dramatically. i can tell he gets joy from it.... to stop him, you have to say something sarcastic or deprecating to him. usually, i don't do it because i feel too hurt though. something like, "ohh wow my name is alex and what i like to do for fun is mimic people! yay me i'm the smartest cookie of the bunch, aren't i? now what's my name again" will probably ward him off. but you have to say it fast or he'll catch on. that gives him a taste of his own medicine, but sometimes he just looks at me strangley and tells me i'm immature..
chai16 is offline   Reply With Quote