X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cocky People

I can put up with a lot of different types of people and pretty much can get along with anybody but theres this one guy in my school that really didnt do anything bad to me but i dislike him so much. They guy is smart and not a bad person but is such a cocky *******. Just the way he speaks (imagine a cartoon god voice) and talks to people in such a condescending manner, I instantly get angry and feel like punching him in the face. Heres the most annoying part, if you ask him something he will sigh pause for a couple of seconds and than answer in a very annoyed way, every single time, which actually my SA worse and the conversation akward. Actually talking to the guy is painfull. Plus did you ever come across someone who just doesnt have a sense of humor and will take everything literly, which if you have a sarcastic sense of humor he takes everything as an insult.

Now i gotta go to this thing for school and will have to spend about 3 hours one way and and the another 3 going back in the same care. I probably won't go unless I have to but if I do i will probably shoot myself, or really hope the car crashes. Yea its that bad.

Thanks for reading I feel better now
NotThisAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cocky People

I think you described all the guys in those school movies that everyone hates, lol.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
did you ever come across someone who just doesnt have a sense of humor and will take everything literly, which if you have a sarcastic sense of humor he takes everything as an insult.
Yeah.I'm one of them ususally.

I'm sure people have thought of me as cocky and humorless.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThisAgain
I can put up with a lot of different types of people and pretty much can get along with anybody but theres this one guy in my school that really didnt do anything bad to me but i dislike him so much. They guy is smart and not a bad person but is such a cocky @$$#. Just the way he speaks (imagine a cartoon god voice) and talks to people in such a condescending manner, I instantly get angry and feel like punching him in the face. Heres the most annoying part, if you ask him something he will sigh pause for a couple of seconds and than answer in a very annoyed way, every single time, which actually my SA worse and the conversation akward. Actually talking to the guy is painfull. Plus did you ever come across someone who just doesnt have a sense of humor and will take everything literly, which if you have a sarcastic sense of humor he takes everything as an insult.

Now i gotta go to this thing for school and will have to spend about 3 hours one way and and the another 3 going back in the same care. I probably won't go unless I have to but if I do i will probably shoot myself, or really hope the car crashes. Yea its that bad.

Thanks for reading I feel better now
I'm not taking up for this guy or implying that he has anxiety (you never know, though) - but I remember some times when I answered someone in what was probably perceived as an annoyed way, but what it really was was my anxiety-in-disguise. I'm not really annoyed during these times as much as I am just very anxious and "stressed" - and being very anxious can cause you to speak in a "pressured" way that is perceived by others as impatience or irritation.

(Actually, my anxiety does cause me to be "annoyed" during certain times. But I'm not always annoyed when I sound annoyed.)

But anyway - you never know what this guy is dealing with. Whatever problem he has - it is clearly his problem and not yours. If I read your post correctly, it sounds like he speaks this way to other people, right? This would make me feel at least a little better - that it's not personal and solely directed toward me.

Is he a very social person? How "popular" is this guy?

As far as his lack of sense-of-humor - well, I can relate to being accused of not having any. What kinds of things have you said to him that you meant to be funny, but he took seriously?

It sounds like the guy may be a little "tightly-wound".

--What a "close friend" of Bill Belichick's said to Sports Illustrated in January 2000, referring to Belichick's first head-coaching job with the Cleveland Browns (which was marred by various troubles).
kintrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

it could be possible he has anxiety issues or maybe is uncomfortable and it just happens to come out in a cocky manner.

when people talk to me and I'm very awkard and anxious my responses usually come out annoyed and/or angry. which is not good because really I'm a very nice person and now most people think I'm just angry all the time.
Kuromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

nah the guy is one of the most confident people i know and I doubt he has any anxiety. Its not only the way he speaks but also what he says.

I wouldnt exactly call him popular, hes well know but not really liked by people. Social.. well yea but most of the time hes doing all the talking. Also if you ask him something he will find the most complex answer and talk for 20 min to tell you something that can be told in less than 30seconds. Well what I think it is hes full of himself.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know the type. I feel sorry for you if you have to spend time in the car with him, lol.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThisAgain
nah the guy is one of the most confident people i know and I doubt he has any anxiety. Its not only the way he speaks but also what he says.

I wouldnt exactly call him popular, hes well know but not really liked by people. Social.. well yea but most of the time hes doing all the talking. Also if you ask him something he will find the most complex answer and talk for 20 min to tell you something that can be told in less than 30seconds. Well what I think it is hes full of himself.
Well if he's not really all that liked by people - at least you have company. It makes me feel better to know that someone who is offensive to me is also disliked by others.

Yeah, it could very well be that he's full of himself. But as I'm sure you know, those type of "show off" people often lack genuine confidence. Deep down, they are often a mass of insecurities - with low, fragile self-esteem.

And still, what may look like "conceit" on the surface may actually be something else - or it may be a mixture of things. Times when it might have looked to others that I was "showing off" intellectually are often times when I felt like I had to "live up" to people's expectations of me - like I was feeling "trapped" in this label and I didn't want to say or do anything to make people say, "We were wrong - she's not as smart as we thought." Or it was the opposite situation - I felt pressure to "prove that I was capable and smart", when I felt like someone didn't think much of my abilities. Or I was putting too much pressure on myself socially - trying too hard not to be dull, trying too hard to come up with something "intelligent" to say, etc. Often the hardest thing to do is to relax and "be yourself", or relax and "let things happen". For one thing, I've thought that "being myself" (whoever that is) is not enough.

Another thing - sometimes people may be "long-winded" because that is the way their minds genuinely operate. It's like they have a thinking/speaking style that just doesn't know how to be concise. Their minds are "inefficient" and, try as they might - they can't quite get to the point, and end up rambling. They think of every detail as being important...they aren't efficient "self-editors".

If this guy has a reputation for being "smart" or "one of the smartest" - maybe he's clinging to that identity for dear-life...he's afraid to be in a situation where he would "let go" of that identity, because it's what gives him self-worth. If someone is known as "the smart one", or "the funny one", or "the gorgeous one" - they can appear to carry that identity too far, by being verbosely intellectual in social situations, or by trying to be funny at inappropriate times, or by wearing makeup while building a Habitat for Humanity house (lol).

--What a "close friend" of Bill Belichick's said to Sports Illustrated in January 2000, referring to Belichick's first head-coaching job with the Cleveland Browns (which was marred by various troubles).
kintrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

I remember once when I was introduced to someone I said a hurried hello and I wanted to get the hell away from the intriductions. Later that person said I was stuck up. I was shocked. I consider myself a nice person and that one hurt. But I couldn't stand being the center of attention as I was being intriduced to others. It made me uncomfortable. and I could feel my face turning red. Now meeting new people makes me uncomfortable but I try to be friendly and smile.
galiciaadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

That guy sounds like my brother. He emanates, honest to god, the most loathsome, repugnant, execrable personality in the history of man. He always does the "look upwards and sigh loudly before speaking" to convey that he's about to bestow his plethora of knowledge upon all of us, and we should be grateful that he's going out of his way to share it. If that guy is the cocky ******* you say he is, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Needless to say, I resist the urge to knock him out on a daily basis. I feel your pain, seriously.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella
That guy sounds like my brother. He emanates, honest to god, the most loathsome, repugnant, execrable personality in the history of man. He always does the "look upwards and sigh loudly before speaking" to convey that he's about to bestow his plethora of knowledge upon all of us, and we should be grateful that he's going out of his way to share it. If that guy is the cocky ******* you say he is, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Needless to say, I resist the urge to knock him out on a daily basis. I feel your pain, seriously.
Exactly lol