X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't look myself in the Mirror

I am afraid of looking at my reflection in the mirror. Even if it is on a window pane. I feel a mixture of shame and guilt.
sasupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know the feeling, I still struggle to look at reflections and photos of myself, I get an almost instant depressed feeling since my image of myself is extremely poor. I find it incredibly difficult to accept compliments from others as well, to me they are just being nice and not wanting to hurt my feelings, whether or not this is irrational or not I don't know, it probably is but my self-image is so bad it doesn't really help.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah same. I always have to look down when washing my hands in public restrooms. Otherwise i'll see myself and get anxious.
January 1991-February 19, 2007
lyssado707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

not only do i hate looking at myself in the mirror, i have a hard time looking at pictures of myself, i find looking at myself in pictures unpleasant
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is it when in the presence of others? Do you automatically worry they will assume you are being vain?
odd_one_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I donít feel guilty but I do detest the way I look. I donít like having my photo taken, I do look at myself in the mirror a lot, I probably seem like someone that loves their looks but itís quite the opposite. I'm actually starting to embrace being vain, itís ok to want to look nice as long as you donít think your superior because of it. I, donít think itís much different then working on other qualities you want for yourself. Some, people may view it as a flaw but thereís really worse qualities a person can have.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssado707 View Post
Yeah same. I always have to look down when washing my hands in public restrooms. Otherwise i'll see myself and get anxious.

same

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalo123 View Post
This is very interesting. I wouldn't say I am afraid to look, I just avoid it like the plague. I am definitely not one of those people who looks at themselves in the mirror every time they pass one. You are not alone in feeling this way I don't think.
same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
I know the feeling, I still struggle to look at reflections and photos of myself, I get an almost instant depressed feeling since my image of myself is extremely poor. I find it incredibly difficult to accept compliments from others as well, to me they are just being nice and not wanting to hurt my feelings, whether or not this is irrational or not I don't know, it probably is but my self-image is so bad it doesn't really help.
same, especially the compliments. I am getting a bit better with it but then I find ways of still validating how I feel about myself, in a negative light.
BreakingtheGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasupport View Post
shame and guilt.
it'll go away
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Don't be silly. You're beautiful.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I stopped looking in the mirror at 13. started looking a few yrs ago. Thinking of stopping again.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
dax

I have the same issues. Can't stand looking into a mirror. Other reflective surfaces such as glass doors are even worse.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

There was a 1-2 year period where I pretty much refused to look at myself in the mirror. It's not a path I recommend heading down. Most directly it will detract from a healthy sense of responsibility for maintaining your physical appearance. What's more troubling, though, is that this lack of responsibility will likely start to seep into other areas of your life, so that you'll feel less responsible and less connected to the world generally. It's not a healthy pattern of behavior to fall into.

While compulsive mirror-checking is to be avoided, the opposite extreme of avoiding mirrors entirely is just as bad.

Break the habit -- force yourself to look every now and then. The more often you do it, the less frightening it will be. And if you don't like what you see, take some reasonable steps to improve your appearance (emphasis on reasonable -- don't run out and get extensive plastic surgery, as it could irreversibly make matters worse). Wear makeup, style your hair; even if you don't like the way that you look, you can at least try to make the most of it. Dissociating and letting yourself go certainly won't help matters.
No Surprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

I look at in the mirror only when I feel that it is necessary. Which is once before heading out in public. I have bad eyesight though. So I'm quite impaired. I never look into the mirror with my glasses on, I don't think I could stand to look at myself in such detail.
Whimsical Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

I hate looking at my reflection, and at pictures of myself. A lot of it has to do with my weight though. I know that's something I can change, but that doesn't make it any easier
saramg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think I look at my reflection a lot more than average, but only because I am so self-concious about it. I've been accused of being vane when people notice me doing this, which is funny because I have the opposite problem.
Fuzzy Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Arrow Can't look in the mirror also.

I also do not look in the mirror, well, any mirror that is not the one in my bedroom. To avoid looking in the mirror I focus on washing my hands. I know that if I look in the mirror I will see something that I really don't like about myself-I will feel ugly and then I will go throughout my day feeling so hideous I won't want to look at anyone or have anyone look at me. So I tell myself "what you don't know won't hurt you" so that is what I use as an excuse not to look in the mirror. If I can't see that I am ugly then I won't go through my day worrying about it.
My husband notices that I don't look in the mirror, but instead of being supportive he ridicules me and just confirms that I am unattractive. I hate my skin, my hair, my size, and my clothes. There is only once in a while when I feel actually attractive and that is hardly ever.
nalderton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

every morning i open the mirror cupboard thing above the sink so i don't have to see myself while i brush my teeth. not even intentionally... it just happens. also i can't look at an album of myself with pictures of me throughout my life without crying. the other day i was just flipping through, it was this little girl, but she was the most disgusting thing to me.

i look away when the computer screen goes black, teehee

because I don't really think they're bad,
I think they're just scared.
Is it because of me?

What?

That she drove away.

Well, why would you
say that?

Because...

because I'm boring.

Dear world, I do not feel strong today. I feel I have been strong for too long, and now I would like to rest.
jijiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

me too, photos are worse.
i srsly havn't take any pics in 6 years, other than photo ID.
monsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Lately I've been retreating to the bathroom often to look at myself and try to accept the way I look, but it still hasn't happened yet. The self-acceptance part. I hate the way I look in most other reflective surfaces, and I literally can't stand to look at photos of myself. I'm just extremely self-conscious when it comes to my appearance and have been this way since the 10th grade, back when the baby smooth skin I had all my life was taken away from me.
ThisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

The only time I hate looking at myself in the mirror is when I'm at a salon. I hate sitting there wearing a tent and staring at myself in that harsh, unflattering light as some cute chick chops at my hair. Bleh.

Other than that, though, I'm pretty vain. Whenever I pass a mirror I stop and stare at myself. It's pretty disgusting.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote