X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cant find work

Im so tired of looking for work. I look but I dont really apply these days. All the ads state they want years of exp., usually 3 or 5. I have none really. Just 6 months of work experience. Im looking for an accounts payable position. I dont know what i ultimately want to do for a career. Ill just settle for that now cos I did a course on it. I studied accounting too a bit at uni.

Theres no job out there for me where theyre willing to train someone up, and if there was one, i bet thousands would apply. I doubt out of thousands that apply I'd be the one theyd pick.
I wanted to get in the finance industry a few years back, but realised there wasnt much chance due to the nature of the job and its requirements and experience needed. The way into banks is to go through their graduate recruitment process but I wasnt good enough on that.

I dont know how the hell Im going to get a job. I probably could get a cleaning job, but I dont want that. That doesnt lead anywhere.
Any people in a similar situation?
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

could you lie, if you have any family or something that could give you ideas of what to put on your resume and cover for you that might help, even if you exaggerate and its not true. My grandma owns her own business, I have helped her before in the past with some stuff there, just because. When I fill out a resume I would try to make it sound like I worked at that particular place for this amount of time, leaving out the fact that it was a family thing and it was more of occasionally help than real work. Just an idea if you have anything like that you can use.
kenny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

The economy is a lot worst than the news is saying. Believe it or not there was a time when most people did on the job training and worked themselves up from the bottom. Degrees also weren't required as much and the degrees you had were worth a lot more.

Welcome to 20% unemployment rate.

You'd be surprised how many people would jump on a janitorial job right now. The more I dig through craigslist the worst the situation seems to get. I'm talking about stories I read where in some places hundreds of people are applying for one minimum wage job opening.

My brother just got a job as a parking lot attendant (6 hours a week). I'm still looking for work and no luck.

Maybe If my country didn't sell it's industrial base to china I wouldn't have to work in an extroverted minimum wage waiter job or retail sales job. Give me a damn factory job where I make stuff and I don't need to talk to people.

Oh yeah and they just announced closure of the only auto-plant on the entire west coast. 5000 jobs axed. Not including suppliers. Why bother anymore?
drealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drealm View Post
The economy is a lot worst than the news is saying. Believe it or not there was a time when most people did on the job training and worked themselves up from the bottom. Degrees also weren't required as much and the degrees you had were worth a lot more.

Welcome to 20% unemployment rate.

You'd be surprised how many people would jump on a janitorial job right now. The more I dig through craigslist the worst the situation seems to get. I'm talking about stories I read where in some places hundreds of people are applying for one minimum wage job opening.

My brother just got a job as a parking lot attendant (6 hours a week). I'm still looking for work and no luck.

Maybe If my country didn't sell it's industrial base to china I wouldn't have to work in an extroverted minimum wage waiter job or retail sales job. Give me a damn factory job where I make stuff and I don't need to talk to people.

Oh yeah and they just announced closure of the only auto-plant on the entire west coast. 5000 jobs axed. Not including suppliers. Why bother anymore?
The truth is sad indeed.
Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Im so tired of looking for work. I look but I dont really apply these days. All the ads state they want years of exp., usually 3 or 5. I have none really. Just 6 months of work experience. Im looking for an accounts payable position. I dont know what i ultimately want to do for a career. Ill just settle for that now cos I did a course on it. I studied accounting too a bit at uni.

Theres no job out there for me where theyre willing to train someone up, and if there was one, i bet thousands would apply. I doubt out of thousands that apply I'd be the one theyd pick.
I wanted to get in the finance industry a few years back, but realised there wasnt much chance due to the nature of the job and its requirements and experience needed. The way into banks is to go through their graduate recruitment process but I wasnt good enough on that.

I dont know how the hell Im going to get a job. I probably could get a cleaning job, but I dont want that. That doesnt lead anywhere.
Any people in a similar situation?
Yeah, I can related. I am fed up looking for a job. I do online searches and look through the newspapers but I don't find anything for me. Or if i do, it either says you have to have experience, own your own transport, be an ougoing person and can work as part of a team etc.
I then stop job searching for a while because I know there isn't any jobs around and it gets boring. I would like a cleaning job, looks easy to do lol but all the cleaning jobs i've seen, you have to own your own transport. And I don't have a car. *sigh* and I'm too scared to learn to drive! It does say Previous experience prefered but not nessercary as full training can be given, which is good but it's the transport thing that really holds me back.

Ohhh and uhm...you know when you get those job advertisement, saying if you are interested in the job, contact bluh bluh bluh...I hate using phones!! I sometimes apply for the jobs where they want you to reply by email only just to avoid using phones.

I really need to get this phone fear and get driving lessons sorted. Then I'd probably be in a job by now. grrrrr!!!
Georgina 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a similar problem. I've been doing work for the dole for about a month now, and as much as it still terrifies me going in there three days a week (it's usually okay once I'm actually there), it's pretty all right work. All I have to do most of the time is price clothes. Unfortunately there aren't really jobs like that out there. I wish there was though, because I rarely have to deal with people (except for when they decide to throw me behind the counter, which they've done a couple of times and God was that scary ), don't have to answer phones or anything like that, and it's only for a few hours. If I ever had the option of doing something like that or another job, I'd definitely choose this one. But as I've said, they don't really exist. This is just a charity shop and it works differently from a real shop.

I feel really lost and have for years now. It sucks because I've been struggling with SA related issues since I left school so I've never really had a 'proper' job, therefore I have very few qualifications though what little I do have under my belt hardly seems to matter when potential employers met timid old me. And speaking of 'old', I keep getting told now that I'm twenty, this will only get harder. That I have to work out what I wanna do because if I don't I'll be pretty much screwed. Sometimes I wish I could just take things slow and work out-- at my own pace-- what I want to do. But there's no time because I've blinked and suddenly I'm an adult and eventually I'm going to have to be depending on myself..
secretlyshecries is offline   Reply With Quote