X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default can't eat in public?

I have bad social anxiety and I have to go on a vacation this week. It's more like hard work as far as I'm concerned. I have to fly, and I haaaate flying. Then almost every day for the next two weeks we'll probably eat out, which I have trouble doing. Does anyone else have this? I can't eat out without thinking I'm going to choke on my food and embarrass myself in front of everyone. Usually what I do is eat four bites and say I'm full, when I'm not really. Most people enjoy going out for a bite. I get extremely stressed out.
sonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: can't eat in public?

yeah I hate doing that, it's just weird for me for some reason.
dave :o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I used to have a major problem with this before. But eventually after eating in front of enough people and doing it continuously I am ok now. After a few dinners you should be ok too. Drink some alcohol as well if you really need to as well.
Peace99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

This was a big problem for me and for the most part I'm over it. However, on occasion, I do get that overwhelming fear of choking. I was at a luncheon today with a lot of people seated too close to each other. Surprisingly I did fine.

Drinking lots of water helps me as my mouth gets dry.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

yes I have a huge problem eating in front of people. I do the same thing telling people im full after a couple bites i have to force down. Or i say i just ate because i was really hungry before. It sucks going on dates with girls because they ALWAYS wanna go out to dinner. I've been this way all my life, i hate it, everyone comments on how i never eat.
folightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a hard time eating in public alone or with people I don't know all that well. If I want to go out to eat, I'll get it to go. I don't want people to wonder about why I'm alone. I'm getting better with it. I can eat in the food court at the mall now without a problem because I eat before going into work, so it's not like a lunch break. I don't feel like I'm expected to eat with anyone.
Illini_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

My problem is the hand tremors I have. I just hate eating in public because of this. I am so paranoid that other people will notice my hand tremors. It is an inherited condition and I have had them since late childhood. The other kids use to make fun of me when they seen my hands shake.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow,that sounds like me.- I prefer dark restaurants and tables off to the side. Center tables really kill me.

"Never try to appear to be more than you are but always try to be more than you appear."
Still Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yep, I hate centeral tables too... Or when they seat us in between two huge families, ugh! I hate eating all squashed up beside a bunch of strangers, but it's okay when there's some distance and I don't feel like I'm being watched... On that note I don't like window seats out onto the street either...
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert Einstein
luminary_pustule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
d79

the more stressed i am, or if husband and i arguing or he's just not his outgoing, silly, typical self or there's an unusual silence(i rarely go alone anywhere lately because my anxiety is 'up' because we're going thru a stressful time) i often have such anxiety during these that when i sit still it creeps: heart-rate, heat, nausea. when it's time to lift a utensil or cup hand shakes so bad that i usually give up, say i sick, or that i will eat in a minute, the food sux- ANYTHING i can think of so we can leave or so i dont have to lift my hands again there. i fear people will see this uncontrollable weirdness about me 2. i always am so embarrassed and mad @ self aftw.
d79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

I hate it. In school I used to skip lunch just to not have to eat in front of people. I would go hide somewhere in the school. I still can't do it now. I always start to act weird and I can notice it on other peoples faces when they look at me. I guess if you go out to eat more you would get accustomed to it. And yeah getting sat next to large groups of people sucks! I dread when I'm forced to go to a dinner with family.
KC-Blu-Eyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

I used to work at this job, every Friday we would have a lunch meeting and everyone would have to take turns talking about how there week was. It was terrible. I would be so worried that food would fall off my fork or I would get something on my mouth and not know. I worked there for 5 months and it never got any easier.
I Miss home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

When you're eating try and pay more attention to the conversation instead of your food. Think about what they're saying and what you're going to say. That might help keep your mind off of your self conscious thoughts.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

I use to be like that. I couldnt bring myself to eat infront of anyone but family. I thought people would think (or worse, actually say it!!) "Wow, fat *** needs more food?"
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was so afraid to eat in public in high school that I would eat in a restroom stall. I still can't bring myself to eat in public. I don't even like to eat in front of my parents.
SurrealDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can relate! I hate going out to eat on fridays/saturdys. Dark, thinly populated restaurants and lots of wine/beer can help though. Going out on weekdays works nicely too.
sdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

When my anxiety is bad, I lose my appetite.

I literally can't take a bite of food without feeling like I want to hurl.
jman128 is offline   Reply With Quote