X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't do anything right at work

Just as I was about to take my lunch break today, my boss gave me a bunch of work to do. It was stuff that couldn't wait so I had to do it right away. It took me about an hour and a half and it included me going over to Office Depot to get some brochures printed out. By the time I got over there I was really hungry and just wanted to get out of there. They had problems with their printer so it took longer than it should have. I was supposed to have them print out a sample for me to look at to make sure they were good. I thought it looked fine but I didn't really look closely because I was so hungry. They told me to come back and pick them up in two hours and that they'd call me if they finished early.

That brings us to the phone. This is something any normal person can do without problems. Not me. Someone said my name over the intercom in our office and I asked my boss if I could get it not remembering it's a ****ing speaker phone and all I have to do is say "yes?" Of course the phone call was Office Depot telling me they were finished.

I went over there, picked the brochures up. They looked good though I didn't really examine them closely. I brought them in and my boss look at one, hung her head and said "these are all wrong." I felt crushed. It cost $150 to make all those brochures and I ****ed it up because I was so hungry I didn't take the time to pay attention to them.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

we all make mistakes. sometimes they are costly, but the best thing to do, and i have a hard time with this, is just try to put it behind you, admit you effed up, and try not to let it happen again.
i am the type that will replay the embarrassment over and over in my head, and it would take days or weeks for me to forget.
try not to be like me, it sucks doing that.
notmeanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oooo, sorry...Sounds like you had a bad day. Just remember that life goes on, as must you.

I've had some big doozies at my job as well. I just think of it this way "**** happens". I might feel down for the rest of my shift, but try and start fresh the following work day.

Creed-Six Feet From the Edge

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking...
Maybe six feet ain't so far down...

http://www.anxiety-disorders.ws
Prakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I've been there man, I sent about 300 pounds of medical equipment to the wrong place and it disapeared! That happened today and I felt real ****ty about it, I realised it was getting to me so I said to myself "this is all there is right here right now so be happy" and I was People ***** up all the time, and it can grind you down if you let it.
"I think the existential dilemma is: We're social animals, so we all wrestle with a sense of inadequacy. But when we realize that we're not as inadequate as we thought we were, and when we realize that everybody elese also thinks they're inadequate, then the ache goes away and the idea that we're not a person of value disappears to some extent."

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick"
JimmyDeansRetartedCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

We all make mistakes and have off days. The fact it's really getting to you and makes you feel disappointed just shows you actually care about your work, which cannot be said about many people. Making a mistake is a bummer but you just gotta let it go. And tell your boss to let you eat next time if she doesn't want mistakes ; )
layitontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

At least you have a job. =P
I would love to have a crappy day at work just as long as I get the mulah at the end of the week. You're fed, dressed, and sheltered despite your crappy day.

~M.E.
JinxosGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hate this too! At work, I feel like a doofus. Everyone there speaks in my mother tongue which I'm not perfect at and I can't communicate properly (even more than usual). I always have to print out paperwork to send to clients and I always make mistakes or print off the wrong ones. I end up wasting 20 sheets of letterhead a day!

I feel I'm super slow at doing things too. Sometimes I calculate how many files and accounts I prepare and multiply them by how much time it should take me to do it. For some reason, no matter how good I feel or how fast I think I'm doing my work, at the end of the day, I feel like I haven't accomplished much. I feel like I'm not worth my wage
hopethishelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

What was wrong with them? Just curious.

If you suffer from hunger pangs why don't you bring some snacks along with you to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb3485 View Post
Just as I was about to take my lunch break today, my boss gave me a bunch of work to do. It was stuff that couldn't wait so I had to do it right away. It took me about an hour and a half and it included me going over to Office Depot to get some brochures printed out. By the time I got over there I was really hungry and just wanted to get out of there. They had problems with their printer so it took longer than it should have. I was supposed to have them print out a sample for me to look at to make sure they were good. I thought it looked fine but I didn't really look closely because I was so hungry. They told me to come back and pick them up in two hours and that they'd call me if they finished early.

That brings us to the phone. This is something any normal person can do without problems. Not me. Someone said my name over the intercom in our office and I asked my boss if I could get it not remembering it's a ****ing speaker phone and all I have to do is say "yes?" Of course the phone call was Office Depot telling me they were finished.

I went over there, picked the brochures up. They looked good though I didn't really examine them closely. I brought them in and my boss look at one, hung her head and said "these are all wrong." I felt crushed. It cost $150 to make all those brochures and I ****ed it up because I was so hungry I didn't take the time to pay attention to them.

Perfection is a point of view
ItemEleven is offline   Reply With Quote