X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default best jobs for people with SA

im sure this has been done before, but what are the best careers for people with SA? are there any high paying fields?
mej0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

I worked as a nurse in the operating theater where i needn't talk much, other than with the usual operating team. Until i decided to quit my job and go uni, where i dropped out and now im a slob still deciding what to do next.
spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Computer Programming springs immediately to mind if you're talking high paying but an environment that doesn't require a lot of socializing.
ReluctantRecluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRecluse View Post
Computer Programming springs immediately to mind if you're talking high paying but an environment that doesn't require a lot of socializing.
I got to disagree w/ you there big time. My mom is a computer programmer and she told me someone like me could never work that kind of job because most of her day is talking with people.
chriswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Engineering is okay, the crappy part is that you have to talk to people a bunch, stick up for your ideas and deal with pressure, the good part is that the engineer stereotype is a shy person with bad people skills.
NaturalLogOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

The truth is an overwhelming majority of jobs involve communicating with people. Pretty much every job involves some kind of communication. It limits our options, and then the economy is still bad, so that limits our options even more. I don't have much money and am unemployed, and my parents refuse to pay for college because they know I can't work with people and they told me that practically every job that requires a college degree involves people skills. The earth isn't made for people like us to function. It's kind of depressing, isn't it? It kind of makes you question God too. I've been looking at getting a paper route, and my last job was okay as a janitor. It seems like my only options are low paying nowhere jobs.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
DTM

I recently decided on accounting as a career. Its not a super social job nor is the schooling. Its one of the best fields out there as far as job security and it pays well. Every business on earth does accounting in some form and I'm great with numbers. Seemed like a good fit, I wish I went for it sooner(I've thought about it for years).
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

janitor? bus driver?... ummm... not really too many jobs do not require communication.
honeybear1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
I recently decided on accounting as a career. Its not a super social job nor is the schooling. Its one of the best fields out there as far as job security and it pays well. Every business on earth does accounting in some form and I'm great with numbers. Seemed like a good fit, I wish I went for it sooner(I've thought about it for years).
That's cool. I just was talking to my parents about possibly starting classes for accounting, too. I tried to tell them that is sounded like a non-social job and they told me that i would be talking to people most of the time and it wouldn't work for me. Now you say the opposite? So which one is it?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
DTM

I'm not saying you would never talk to people. And I'm not an accountant yet, wtf do I know lol. But it seems like you would mostly be recording info into a computer. At the end of periods you might have to generate reports and talk about what they mean to supervisors, but thats not too scary IMO. I can talk to people about stuff that needs to be done. Its the social friendly stuff that kills me.

I doubt theres really a job on earth that you don't interact with people at least some. Unless you count living with gorillas or something haha. I'd love that job!
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswatch View Post
The truth is an overwhelming majority of jobs involve communicating with people.
This makes me feel better about deciding to become a teacher. Although, seriously, if I could trade this all for a crappy job with long hours (to limit my time alone) and little pay (because of my SA I don't spend a lot of money), as long as I didn't have to interact with people I would do it in a heartbeat.

Not that I have a lot of experience, but I would tend to agree with chriswatch. Those jobs just aren't out there because of the way society works.
The seventh sense, indeed, slowly kills all the other ones, so that at last there is no trouble about the commandments. We cannot see any more, or feel, or hear about them. The bodies which we loved, the truths which we sought, the Gods whom we questioned: we are deaf and blind to them now, safely and automatically balancing along toward the inevitable grave, under the protection of our last sense.

The Once and Future King
, by T.H. White
firestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
I'm not saying you would never talk to people. And I'm not an accountant yet, wtf do I know lol. But it seems like you would mostly be recording info into a computer. At the end of periods you might have to generate reports and talk about what they mean to supervisors, but thats not too scary IMO. I can talk to people about stuff that needs to be done. Its the social friendly stuff that kills me.

I doubt theres really a job on earth that you don't interact with people at least some. Unless you count living with gorillas or something haha. I'd love that job!
What you are saying makes sense. It just baffled me when my mom was discussing this with me. She claims most of the day is spent talking to people. That doesn't make sense to me, because when I think of accounting, I think of people behind a computer crunching numbers all day. My mom is a computer programmer, and has made some serious bank so I don't want to think she's wrong. I just wish I knew a way to figure out exactly how much communicating there is as an accountant.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

When I did a brief stint as a cleaner, I found it enjoyable. Minimal talking to others apart from the main boss, and I got exercise. c: I'd go back to it if I could.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRecluse View Post
Almost any job in IT. I can get through a typical work day saying less than 5 words!
imNotShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't know how much they pay.
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Funeral director.
Same Difference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

My husband is a computer programmer and he was just complaining the other day because they want the employees where he works to dress up for Halloween. He said "Don't they realize that the IT dept. isn't meant to socialize." I think the only time he has to talk to anyone is in the meetings with the department heads about the particular program they want and then the majority of his time is spent writing and testing the code.
tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

lol, that is a good one ununderstood
tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

i am currently in nursing school. i am with people all day. to me, nursing is just like quietly walking around and doing what you need to do with patients. but now im starting to realize that you need to obviously talk to the other nurses, and doctors, etc. for me, my biggest SA stems from having to speak up in front of groups of people.

right now, i hate being in school because its basically just like being back in college. classes, participation , some presentations, etc. its driving me crazy. just the thought of my presentations have been making me sick. the program is only a year long, but a year of worrying is still long. im hoping to eventually be an OR nurse bc i hear its pretty quiet, and you just work with a couple people.
mej0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswatch View Post
I got to disagree w/ you there big time. My mom is a computer programmer and she told me someone like me could never work that kind of job because most of her day is talking with people.
Yeah, most of the computer programmers I know are constantly on the phone, or meeting with people. Oh, and there's quite a bit of presentations they have to give.

I actually really liked my old jobs. One, I was working in a payroll department as an assistant. It was only a summer job, but great (low pay though). I got to do a lot of filing, do some data entry, sort mail, photo copy...shred (I LOVE shredding documents). I occasionally had to deal with people but it was rare. Apparently I was too efficient too so I had nothing to do sometimes and my boss let me sit and read here and there until they could find more for me to do.

The other good job I had was data entry. I loved it. It was simple and only occasionally did I have to do math (it was the finance department), which was also simple. Me and this woman sat in the room, typing away and got to listen to music while we worked. The pay was low but they were generous with overtime. You'd get time and a half even if you did 15 mins of overtime and I ended up making a lot more money there, than my job now. That bus. had gone out of bus. since it expanded too quickly....

I don't think any job will have NO human interaction but I believe there should be more jobs geared towards people like us. It's so stressful to do a job as the one I've got (call center) while other people think its easy. I've yet to find a good job that is geared towards more introverted people and pays a lot, and I'm still looking.
HannahG is offline   Reply With Quote