X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are You Easily Offended?

My feeling is very easily hurt, i tend to cry when people take a shot at me, or even when i know they're only joking i still take it to the heart. I just feel ashamed that despite being a male and almost turning 20 i'm still so fragile inside. And also this is why i never talk to my sister, she always sarcastically mocks my lack of friends and sociallizing, and i can't reply back with wit so i just keep silent and sometimes cry it out later. I don't know i just feel pathetic when i'm thinking about this.
Mister Mxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't worry, I'm like rice paper. It sucks people making the assumption that men need to be emotionally numb. That being like that makes a man hardcore; and that for some reason being hardcore is important. I take things to heart very quickly. I'm hard to offend by calling me names, but easy to make me feel bad, guilty, embarrassed, sad, emotional etc etc etc.
Selbbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am offended you asked this.

(No I'm not, but I am definitely easily offended in general.)
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Extremely easily offended. People have no idea how often I cry.
Amber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think I'm all that easily offended, but I have a very strong sense of propriety and fair play. It's easier for me to have my sense of propriety offended than it is for me to feel personally slighted.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I can relate in the sense of siblings. In my case it's my brother. He displays a complete lack of emotion and is extremely insensitive towards feelings in general, and mine are no exception. This includes him have no manners, respect, etc. He has no concept of taking other people's feelings into consideration. He says anything. He's always been that way. So growing up around him, I've been exceptionally sensitive around the house and with my dad as well. Like you with your sister, I try to avoid talking to my brother. I live in the same house with him so it makes it harder, but I still have always made it a point to avoid conversation. As far as with other people, not really. I guess it would depend on the circumstances. I'm never around people that often where it would come up, so outside of the house I don't really deal with it.

lonelygirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes I am. I use to be sad and feel hurt, but now I feel sad but get really mad. Over little things too. I try not to get so upset, but it happens.
Candiisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm very easily offended. No matter what someone says, I take offence to it. I always feel like people have something against me. When someone says something that offends me (whether they were trying to or not) I just start to cry.
applescruff91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

not really

I do feel offended though when people ask me "what do you do all day" or "what do you do with yourself" in a patronizing and condescending tone, when they become aware I don't have a job.
That does offend me and I find it rude
Gunnerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can feel your pain OP. I am very thin skinned and take most insults to heart. I have tried to combat this by imitating apathy but the pain is still present. "Fake it till you make it" does not always work, apparently. Relatives tell me that life will teach me to ignore it, but I feel no change so far.
Ivan AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

All the time. It doesn't always bother me at that exact moment but when I think back on it, it gets me sad and I cry about it. Lately I've been trying to ignore any rude comments anyone makes about me with a nice F*** OFF (in my head of course).

"Sixteen, clumsy and shy, that's the story of my life."

"Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you, from doing all the things in life you'd like to."

- Morrissey
Shooterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ya, I think so. But for me, it depends on the person making the comment, you know?

I used to have a REALLY hard time with sarcasm too. I think I'm still pretty sensitive though.

-Dale Carnegie

"Nothing changes when nothing changes."

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
VC132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

There was one time in college when this kid was making fun of me because he saw that I was shy. I let it get to me, and really bothered me from time to time. Similar things have happened, but after working a job in a busy restaurant, I learned A LOT. The secret to dealing with people's insults, is coming to peace with yourself. By that I mean you need to understand that you are shy, and that people are not going to understand that because they don't know what it's like to be you. You must learn to not care what they are saying because you can't control what other people say. But you do control how you feel.

No one can make me feel inferior without my own consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt
chriswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Dunno about being easily offended. Sometimes I am, sometimes it just doesn't touch me - like I have elephant skin or something?
I guess at the time, I'm not... but I tend to replay conversations over and over in my head, then decide that half of it is offensive to me! Stupid I know!
rainbowOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I think all SA people have at least a mild case of post-traumatic-stress-disorder. Sometimes I'll just be watching television, and I just start doing this daydreaming-like thing where I remember a bad situation where someone was making fun of me, and kind of feel bad about it. Then I kind of wake up and tell myself "shut up", lol. Now that i think about it, that's also sounds like ADD. A few times I started crying because I remembered a bad situation and I realize that I haven't had as happy of a life as someone w/out anxiety. It hurts sometimes. Well at least we aren't blind or deaf. I think that would be worse than what we have. Any thoughts?
chriswatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

It would be difficult to be a mod if I were easily offended.
Amocholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am extremely sensitive. One of my mums friends sarcastically joked about me and I felt embarrassed, ashamed and belittled. The very time I actually talk and I get shot down by someone's ignorant remarks. I still play that over in my head and it happened two months ago.
sweetcupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bon

Not too much anymore, I get offended for those that I feel have been dealt a difficult hand.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

I get offended really easily.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

I used to be a few years ago, until I had a confrontation with a former friend that changed me.

Basically, something insignificant had happened that I let bother me way more than it should have, feelings of butthurt ensued on my part, and it ended with the friend going off on me about how it was no fun to be around someone when you feel like you have to walk on eggshells 24/7.

That was a very eye opening experience to me, b/c I realized that she was right. I realized that I didn't want to be the type of person where others feel like they have to police what they say constantly b/c I took everything soooo personally. So I decided to make a conscious effort to be less sensitive.

It's still an ongoing learning experience, that's for sure. NGL, I still have my overly sensitive moments.

Now I just try to save those types of feelings for when people say things that are truly nasty.

au Lait is offline   Reply With Quote