anyone know good jobs that are easy to get for people with anxiety? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default anyone know good jobs that are easy to get for people with anxiety?

i feel like i'm never going to find one. interviews freak me out so bad, and i have never even had one yet. i'm too afraid to apply in fear that i'd GET an interview. and my parents are on my *** about it. I'll be 18 soon, so i feel like i may get kicked out. they already took my car.

i just can't bring myself to go out and apply. it scares the crap out of me, and i hate socializing as it is.
godhelpme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

why not go to college/uni
ICat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

well i am.. but i still have to have a job. and my dad is very verbally abusive. therefore if i don't get a job, he will constantly bring me down.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had a job for several years as an editor. It was complete bliss. Basically got to sit in a private office all day and just read stuff for errors. I hardly ever saw other people other than my supervisor.
Now I do webmaster stuff from home, and do most of my work communication over email or texting.
Another good, low anxiety job I had was doing inventory in a warehouse.

One more idea: my older brother used to be the audio tech setup guy at the junior college. He worked after hours and just set up TVs and projectors in classrooms after the college closed up for the day, and said he almost never saw anyone when he did his shift.
Kedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

sitting in a private office sounds like heaven.. i just feel like those kind of jobs are hard to come by..
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not sure about a job easy to get, but I know that if you get a job helping people it will really help with your social anxiety. Volunteering always makes me feel like people really want and need me there to help out, so maybe getting a job were you feel that way will help?
Iwanttodisappear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pretty much anything night shift. I worked in stocking at a Target and worked from 10pm to 6am. Only other people there were 3 other employees I barely even saw because of the size of the store.

My other temporary job was night shift at a post office, mail sorter. There was only 2 other employees.
"But then night rolls around, and it all starts making sense: There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live. And so I do what I do, and at least I exist. What could mean more than this? What would mean more?"
PillsHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, I wonder if working in a zoo would be hard..working with animals was my dream, but i feel like there would be so many annoying hyper co workers. -.-
Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhelpme2 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if working in a zoo would be hard..working with animals was my dream, but i feel like there would be so many annoying hyper co workers. -.-
Ha, exactly...

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wanting an "easy" or anxiety free job only makes your anxiety worse in the long run.
TigerRifle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Consider software development for a small company. It worked for me.
merlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillsHere View Post
Pretty much anything night shift. I worked in stocking at a Target and worked from 10pm to 6am. Only other people there were 3 other employees I barely even saw because of the size of the store.

My other temporary job was night shift at a post office, mail sorter. There was only 2 other employees.
I work nights too, it's the shizz. My store is normally very busy. Between 10pm and 7am there are not many customers, except the first of the month crazies. Also some places offer a pay differential for night shift work.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRifle1 View Post
Wanting an "easy" or anxiety free job only makes your anxiety worse in the long run.
i know but it just seems like the easy way for me and i'd be happier overall than stressed everyday worrying.. but i see what you mean, because you are kinda forcing it when you take a high inducing anxiety job and more experience. i could never really handle any kind of job that involves socializing though. i completely shut down :/
Old 08-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

I currently work at a church nursery, and I haven't had a problem with my anxiety while working yet. I only have to work a few days a week for 2-3 hours a day, so its not stressful. I only have to interact with a few people at a time as well, and I didn't have to have an interview, just apply and talk to the preacher. If you do well with children, this might be a good job for you.

Since you mentioned that you like animals, you could look into helping at a vet office as an assistant. As far as I know, you don't need medical training to work at the front desk. Keep in mind, the smaller the lobby, the less people it can hold at a time, the less chance you have at getting anxious.
ToraMarikama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Loss prevention at retail stores. That is something I've thinking about switching to.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was the EXACT same way. Dish washer jobs might be easier to come by. Just interacting with coworkers. In a way, I agree that getting a job that interacts with customers may help tame your anxiety if it is long term but if you were as bad as I was you might be better suited in a non direct customer interaction job at first. My first job was at a fast food place as a cashier. I quit after 2 weeks. I literally would forget how to form sentences and was not good interacting. Nightmare. But it made my second job at a movie theater easier. And now I am going to school to work in healthcare. Just start somewhere and you'll grow, best of luck.
FerretCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
Loss prevention at retail stores. That is something I've thinking about switching to.
I do believe that you have to confront customers stealing. I don't know how bad your anxiety is though, if you don't have a problem with it here's an cool vid involving LP agents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyGCp...eature=related
Brandeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandeezy View Post
I do believe that you have to confront customers stealing. I don't know how bad your anxiety is though, if you don't have a problem with it here's an cool vid involving LP agents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyGCp...eature=related
lmao that video is funny!!!!!

i also thought about maybe being a maid in a resort hotel haha. i'm different from a lot of people here, i like to be in very crowded places only because when i'm in small groups i feel like all the attention is on me..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

The easiest job for me was being a dishwasher...also i sell things on Ebay.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhelpme2 View Post
well i am.. but i still have to have a job. and my dad is very verbally abusive. therefore if i don't get a job, he will constantly bring me down.
my dad is like that too.

About a job, I personally would apply for anything and ignore the anxiety. Even if you feel anxious on the job, it will get much better overtime.