X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Am I a man trapped in a woman's body?

Or am I a "tomboy" or what? Ever since I was a child I knew I was different. I could never connect with the girls when they decided they wanted to stop playing hide and seek and wanted to talk about boys instead and I was also very violent. A lot of the boys let me and asked me to wrestle with them when I was a little girl. I always felt uncomfortable about this subject and felt like the odd one out when I pretended that a guy was hot. I did feel attracted to guys emotionally but I was never sexually attracted to one. I am 18 years old and I have never felt the need to date anyone. When I was in highschool, I always wanted to take courses that were mostly dominated by males. While all my girl friends wanted to take parenting/marriage and cooking courses, I wanted to take body building/weight lifting. I have always been more muscular than many females I know and even some of the guys tell me I'm insanely built and I take that as a complement which most girls wouldn't. I often talk about joining the Marines with my friends and a lot of them tell me to leave all that to the men. The only thing really girly I like to do is shop a lot for clothes and jewelry, but either than that I can't really connect to girls. I often tell myself that I am a man(sometimes a woman) and I am very proud of myself when I call myself one and when another guy says something to me like "you're the man!"
Shadowsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I always felt that women deserved more rights/respect. I have even started writing a book about my personal experiences about being a woman and facing discrimination at work(my summer job) and other issues such as woman should be respected for being pro - choice, issues with relationship roles and sex life, etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's fine to be a woman and behave more like a "man". I prefer jeans and t-shirts to dresses and skirts, like computers and video games, I find myself more awkward around girls than guys, and I haven't shaved my body hair since early last year because I don't really like the feel of smooth legs (but if I were forced to wear shorts or go swimming anytime soon, I'd shave it off. Gotta love those ingrained sexist worries. :c )

You could be transgender and/or asexual, but only you can find that out for yourself.

EDIT:
I am very proud of myself when I call myself one and when another guy says something to me like "you're the man!"

That could be an indication of something more, but generally masculine things are seen as more positive in society (being physically strong, having the "balls" to do something etc.) and feminine attributes are seen as weak (being pretty, showing emotion etc.) so I can see how you'd feel good to be associated with the title of "man".
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Depending on the situation I could feel sexually attracted to a girl, but never romantically. If I am romantically attracted to a guy, I quickly grow out of it and sart focusing on things that I consider to be more important such as my future career and college. This sounds strange but it keeps me very occupied and I have always accepted this fact about me for some reason, but I will create the ideal guy for myself inside my mind and whenever I imagine him, he is real to me. I know I seem too old to do this, but it is one of the only ways I feel romantically attracted.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

wow im like that 2, ware boy cloths,cut my hair, sometimes feel like a boy but i think im a tomboy
yuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I feel almost exactly like you. I could only talk to men, hang out with them and wore guy clothes. As a child I'd go for toys meant for boys and had no interest in girly things, I'd be the ringleader in a group of guys and outdid them in fighting, climbing etc. I figured out in high school though that girls were better appreciated if they were pretty, so I basically gave myself a makeover to fit in. The bullying stopped.

I still act somewhat masculine if I'm feeling more comfortable and don't feel obliged to keep up my "feminine" persona. Like you I do like fashion but that's probably the only thing about being female that I like. I will admit adopting a male persona in online gaming environments feels more comfortable and natural to me as well, though I have been told my aggression is higher than normal if I've been doing that for a while.

I basically resent being born female and feel like I was born in the wrong body but wonder whether this is just a by-product of my disliking my circumstances or something else. This has little to do with my orientation though, which remains straight.
Crystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think that you are just a little more manly than most girls are... and that's ok there are some girls like that
CompanionLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

i can sort of relate but in a different way. im a guy probably more masculine than feminine but my problem is ive always felt like this weird combination of a human. on one hand i have this athletic/physical/aggressive and even a bit macho side and on the other a visual/artistic and empathic side. there doesnt seem to be much more to my personality and thought process than that. which is fine but it kind of makes meeting people i feel i can fully relate to difficult as those two groups of people are generally separated and in two different worlds.
sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I don't see anything wrong with being a female and acting like that. I think genders apart from feminine and masculine are valid.
solasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Geeennnnnddddeeerrrrrr rrrroooollllllleeeeesssssssss
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

There is nothing wrong with you sweety. After my grandfather died (he was in the army, and had the whole honor guard thing for his funeral) I thought about joining the military as well. Then when my dad died (he was a firefighter and had the same sort of honor guard) I thought about it again. I shoot, I used to have a motorcycle, I can build a computer, I'm a sci-fi nerd... I have tons of interests that most people would never assume. I'm still a girly girl at my core, despite all that boy stuff I'm into.
In fact I seem to know quite a few people who don't fit typical gender rolls (both guys and girls).
All that matters is that YOU feel comfy with yourself. To hell with what anyone else thinks.

"May I remind you again, this is a dream, and in dreams you can do anything you darn please!"

~The Legion Of Doom (Dangerous Business Since 1979)

|Psych 101|Abuse|Depression Myths|
DaedalEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsgirl View Post
The only thing really girly I like to do is shop a lot for clothes and jewelry
ooh, so metrosexual
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well you know how you feel inside. That's what matters dont drive yourself crazy pretending to be some way you don't truly feel.
I know someone who was born male and he never felt male so he changed to female - and she is more girly than me!
softshock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm sure you know this already but there is nothing wrong or shameful in how you feel! Is it just your interests that you feel are more "male" than "female"? If so, that's normal. I'm a girl but I have lots of what society believes are "masculine" hobbies. My boyfriend likes beauty products, taking bubble baths and is interested in learning how I do my makeup! If you are not attracted to men, that's fine. Sexuality is a continuum! People are not entirely heterosexual or homosexual, we all fall somewhere along a range. If you feel your gender identity issues are bothering you and/or you are having difficulty functioning in society, you may want to read up on gender dysphoria. I learnt about it when I studied human sexuality. Hope this helps!
wildgosling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just felt I had to add something, but I do feel that being tomboyish or having tomboyish inclinations but being content with being female seems different from feeling that you're the wrong sex/actively dislike the sex you are.
Crystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

I feel like a gay guy trapped in a girls body

I've always been tomboy (and I still am)! I thought I was a boy when I was young. I hated being a girl! I still do...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not as 'boyish' as you but I do feel like a dude sometimes haha. My brother actually even said that I'm the only girl that's kind of cool because "when I'm not being a b*tch, I act like a guy and have a sense of humor". People who don't know me too well think I'm prissy and girly, but people I'm close to say I'm a tomboy at times.
Mandyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

I am not gay or anything, but I feel this way.

I am tall and thin, but besides facial hair, deep voice, and a certain part, I remind myself more of a girl. I dont like fighting or sports, my body is thin frame like a girls, and unlike most men who have stronger upper body strength, my body strength is strongest in my legs, which mostly goes for women. I throw like a girl, and punch like a girl. My lips are even more pinkish naturally and I have decent eyelashes. One time I accidently put on my sisters jeans by mistake and someone said I looked good in them and of course I turned beat red from embarassment. "eyeroll"

My Mom says my Sister is her boy and im her girl, I yelled at her for even saying that, even though she did not mean it like we are gay or lesbian.

I'm just saying to most guys I remind them of a gay guy being im not ripped,tough, and violent.
keithp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
I am not gay or anything, but I feel this way.

I am tall and thin, but besides facial hair, deep voice, and a certain part, I remind myself more of a girl. I dont like fighting or sports, my body is thin frame like a girls, and unlike most men who have stronger upper body strength, my body strength is strongest in my legs, which mostly goes for women. I throw like a girl, and punch like a girl. My lips are even more pinkish naturally and I have decent eyelashes. One time I accidently put on my sisters jeans by mistake and someone said I looked good in them and of course I turned beat red from embarassment. "eyeroll"
Just like hipsters in manhattan.
I wonder whether they were born this thin or just starve themselves...
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

I certainly don't starve myself I eat great. I'm 6'3" so that's why.
keithp is online now   Reply With Quote