X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration

Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post 27 years old and look like a young teen

I was in Las Vegas for two days. I went with my mom and younger brother and sister. I look so young for my age that I can be mistaken for a young teenage. My mom and I went into that big souvenir shop there. We walked accidently into the section for mature(18 yr old+) shoppers. I feel nervous when going into stores that say 18 and over even though I'm old enough only because I look like a little girl and am afraid of people staring-which they did. i'm afraid they'll say I can't be in there or ask for my ID. We walked into the liquor store section and I felt more nervous,because again I don't look old enough to be 21 and I don't really drink.In the liquor store I am near the window and some lady walks past and then stops and takes a second look like she's surprised to see a young teen in the store. I feel the same way when I went gambling. I was afraid I would be asked to leave or asked for my ID. I'm glad no one did, though some people did stare at me. It's weird because I'm old enough to be there, but I have this naive,innocent goody-goody little girl look to me.

Anyone have the same experiences and/or feel this way?

Another experience-I've lived in Saint George,UT for a year now. I moved from Oregon. Last year I was in Walmart with my mom and we were grocery shopping,we passed the alcohol section. I was half joking and half serious when I said i wanted a Mike's hard lemonade. A guy that was next to us looked at me and jumped back in shock.
Starry4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hear you. I got ID'ed for beer last summer while standing with a friend who had *just* turned 19 (I am Canadian, we are legal at 19 to drink) and since I didn't have my ID, he had to buy it for me. Only they didn't ID him!!! I am 28! lol

This is why I got so many weird looks when I was pregnant at 23, or any time I would go out with my son as a baby. I still get people who think I am babysitting... haha.

"I don't wanna be lonely, I just wanna be alone..."
Old 06-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

A lot of people think I look like a teenager, too. I had a library employee tell me "You must be the most cultured student at your school. Most kids just check out stuff from the reading list." I didn't say anything in response.

I've also occasionally been asked if my parents are home when I've answered the phone.
carambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm 22 and have been told I look as young as 12. When people point this out to me, it is by far my biggest pet peeve. It's the one remark that can seriously make me lose my temper and ruin my whole day. People can be so condescending and patronizing at times. It's crazy-making. My only consolation is that in a decade or so, God willing I won't have to deal with this kind of stupid **** anymore.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

you should be grateful to mother nature
you know, coz, people spend fortunes to look younger
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

i was ID'ed at age 25 to go into a R rated movie! Ha, you'll look young when all others look old!
epril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
dax

I feel you- I'm 30 and I could easily pass for 16 or 17 I think. I think people tell me I look like I'm in my early 20s to make me feel better- or else because they know I work a professional job so obviously I'm not a teenager- but I look insanely young for my age. I DREAD anyone asking me my age or looking at my ID to see when I was born. I don't so much mind being carded or anything really cause I don't care what a random clerk would think. What bothers me a lot though is that I don't think there are any late 20s or early 30s females that would want to date someone that looks like a 16 year old. It's really frustrating. I would love to date someone that looked as young as I do but that's like finding a needle in a haystack. It's also hard to get people to take me seriously at work sometimes. And then I always get the annoying "why do you look so young?" I hate that ****. It's like WTF how do I know? Because I'm a freak I guess? I mean how do you answer that?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietgal View Post
. My only consolation is that in a decade or so, God willing I won't have to deal with this kind of stupid **** anymore.
That's what I thought when I was 22 too. Now I'm 30 and look the same as I did when I was 22- like a 16 year old. So it's much worse.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think manner accounts for a lot. The way you dress, carry yourself, speak and interact with people gives a lot of clues as to your age. The fact that I used to be pretty good at faking confidence meant that I used to pass for mid-twenties when I was in my late teens. Now that I am in my mid twenties I would sure like to reverse that.
Eugenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I actually lived in Las Vegas most my life. You shouldn't let it get to you, I've actually been told I look young for my age and think I do myself. No need to worry about getting asked for ID either, I have trained in places that tell you to pull ID of anyone that looks under 30. After seeing so many IDs, you understand just how different everyone can be.
Ronneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have the opposite problem, Id much rather look younger than older than your age. Looking young is not a bad thing, means you age slower, thats a good thing as you get older! So see this as a gift from nature!
I developed earlier than other girls and people would comment on how mature for my age I was even at age 12. Although it was great when I was a teen, I never needed a fake id! Legal drinking age here is 18, but I was going to clubs and pubs well before that and never had a problem getting in or asked for ID, I started buying ciggerettes at 15. But now its annoying not being asked for id, because I think, what would I look like at 30? and 40? My mother looks older than she is. I dont want the same~!
My mums best friend is in her late 40s, but looks like shes 30. Much of it comes down to her genes or her lifestyle, as shes a vegetarian and loves anything organic including skin products. Her daughter is my age early 20s, but looks 16. So Im guessing much of it has to do with genetics too.

Your BLESSED to look so young!!!

Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

People usually think I'm a few years younger than I actually am. Everyone thinks that I am younger than my sister who is really two years younger than me. It doesn't make me mad though because I know that later on I'll want to look younger.
John19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I have the opposite problem, Id much rather look younger than older than your age. Looking young is not a bad thing, means you age slower, thats a good thing as you get older! So see this as a gift from nature!
I developed earlier than other girls and people would comment on how mature for my age I was even at age 12. Although it was great when I was a teen, I never needed a fake id! Legal drinking age here is 18, but I was going to clubs and pubs well before that and never had a problem getting in or asked for ID, I started buying ciggerettes at 15. But now its annoying not being asked for id, because I think, what would I look like at 30? and 40? My mother looks older than she is. I dont want the same~!
My mums best friend is in her late 40s, but looks like shes 30. Much of it comes down to her genes or her lifestyle, as shes a vegetarian and loves anything organic including skin products. Her daughter is my age early 20s, but looks 16. So Im guessing much of it has to do with genetics too.

Your BLESSED to look so young!!!
you look young to me though
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey, some people spend thousands of dollars on surgical procedures to make themselves look like an 18 year old. Life is short and God has blessed you with a few extra good years. Just enjoy your free, prolonged youth. I'm sure you'll appreciate it when you get older.
Mr. Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

eh i have the same problem. im 21 and i look like im 16, which im sure I will appreciate in 10 years or so!

.. and can people PLEASE stop using god as the reason for youthful looks? God is not responsible for everything that happens OK.. there is a little something called "genetics" just in case you didn't know.
aviationboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Location: East Coast. Occasionally I may be located at an anime convention.

Same issue here. I'm 21 but I look 17-ish. At my last job people my coworkers were suprised when I told them I was in college, they had guessed I was still in high school.

I got carded while trying to buy a lotto ticket two weeks ago. It gets on my nerves because my younger brother bought lotto tickets without anyone ever asking him for ID even though he was under 18. He looks like he could be in his mid twenties though.

But people keep telling me I'll appreciate it one day when I'm older. So I'll trust that.
SilentLoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Russian Guy View Post
you should be grateful to mother nature
you know, coz, people spend fortunes to look younger
People don't spend a fortune to look younger IMO they spend a fortune to look 20. If they happen to be over 20 they want to look younger and if they happen to be under 20 they want to look older.
People always think that I am 5 years younger than I am. I'm sick and tired of being asked for I.D. when buying alcohol or not being allowed into a pub with my family because I accidentally forgot my license at home.
ItemEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm 37. And I have a soon to be 18 year old son. I've had a lot of girls think I'm anywhere from late teens, to mid 20's, etc. Which can be embarrasing somtimes, if they're interested in me, if they think I'm their age but than have to say I'm actually 37. It can be embarrsing sometimes when I'm out with my son; probaly more embarrasing for him.
However, in 13 years I'll be 50!!!
So, now I'm very gratefull for looking younger than my age!
No doubt about it. And I think a lot of guys at my age would give anything to look younger, just so they could date younger women, etc.
icefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm so glad I found this thread. This is something that really bugs me. I'm 34 & look young for my age. I act young so that doesn't help either lol I used to worry about people not taking me seriously, but now I just hate my age coming up cuz people trip out when they learn my age. I left work a couple of years ago to go to college, and my classmates assume I'm either their age or younger. LOL This one time in English class we got into groups & my group members didn't believe my age. I had to show them my driver's license & they were in shock. Another time a classmate asked my age & I told her I was way older than I looked. Her reply was to guess I was 20. HAHA lol And this one time at the dentist the receptionist told me I looked like a kid but had facial hair, and she asked me my age. Afterwards, she asked what the secret to looking young was, but I still felt like crap lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
What bothers me a lot though is that I don't think there are any late 20s or early 30s females that would want to date someone that looks like a 16 year old. It's really frustrating. I would love to date someone that looked as young as I do but that's like finding a needle in a haystack.
^^ I can totally relate. People around my age think I look like a kid lol
Demerzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ron Howard, Dick Clark, Donny Osmond (well,)..looking younger than they are didn't hurt them
epril is offline   Reply With Quote