Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Told a Girl about SAS today...

817 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tymes Rhymes 
#1 ·
I didn't know where to put this. Not really a frustration so I can't put this there.

Not really unrelated to anxiety so I couldn't put this in General Discussion.

Anyways...

Today at work, while on lunch, a random Girl, or should I say woman?, came up to a co-worker and myself who were just talking a bit outside.

They kind of talked their deal while I just sort of stood there awkwardly but when I got back to work 15-20 minutes later she came up to me while I was doing my duties.

Me: "Why hello again."
Her: "Hi, I chose you because I saw you outside."

While I was helping her. We discussed certain things. She doesn't like people, I don't like people. She mentioned how hard it is for her to get a long with people and I told her that I was the same.

She then mentioned that she has social anxiety and gets nervous trying to make friends.

I've never heard the words "social anxiety" in everyday, real life before.

At that moment, I realized that I should mention my outlet.

I tell her that I too have social anxiety and I asked her if she had heard about "Social Anxiety Support" and she said no. I then wrote on a piece of paper the url and whamo! Bob's your uncle.

No but seriously I gave her the website and she seemed appreciative.

I actually think that I may have helped someone today even if it is minor in scope.

I wonder if she'll ever actually visit this website though.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think this is something positive. You both have social anxiety so this is something that could bond the two of you together. Yes it may be difficult for two people with anxiety; but regardless, you have met someone with the same condition as you. It is also great that you told her about this site. She could easily see this as a gentlemanly gesture.

#4 ·
I don't expect to bond with her at all to be honest. It would be cool but it was really just a gesture to help someone who voiced her unhappiness living in my state for certain reasons.

She was cute but she is three years older than me and other circumstances she divulged would probably not be conducive for any kind of "bond" that would arise platonic or otherwise.

I viewed it as a learning experience though.

Perhaps people aren't as bad as I make them out to be? At least not all of them. I met someone with social anxiety in real life, that was quite surreal for me

The very fact that she just seemed, for lack of a better word, "chill" during our brief conversation was almost refreshing due to how everyone else, everyday in life, typically just seems so bland.

Most people you interact with in public, friend or stranger, kind or rude; you just seem to have basic, surface level, small talk with that is quite unfulfilling (at least to me) and to have such a stark difference out of the blue with her was quite jarring.

Maybe. She might even read this thread.
I almost asked someone once if he knows about SAS. But I decided it would be better not to.
That would be cool but I highly doubt it.

Yeah you have to gauge each situation carefully when you find someone in public whom may fit the criteria of a fellow anxiety riddled person. I know that I took a brief second to consciously think about it before mentioning SAS to her.

#3 ·
Oh cool. Congrats for speaking openly about your anxiety and finding another person with SA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.