X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why am I unable to show emotion properly !?

I'm in transit. I can still access net from here.

Anyways, an hour ago my Father give me a fire. He said I just went into the departure area quietly, without any goodbyes or nothing. This is my first time travelling on my own and I may be away from home for 2 years.

I don't know why this is so second nature to me. It is like, I have to be thinking about it to display the proper emotional response. I easily forget that I have to 'look sad' or 'say a meaningful goodbye' etc.

So often my parents and brothers tell me about this. I don't mean it -- its just -- unlike most people I actually have to learn how to show emotion.

My emotional outburst was in the shower. I took my final shower at home, shed some tears, and that was it.

I must have a heart of stone.
VIncymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hmm. I can show sadness pretty well. However, I can be out having fun, and people comment how bored I look .. even when I'm not.
wjc75225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can laugh pretty easily but crying hard for me is just a few shoulder shudders and maybe a snort, if even that.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also have a big issue expressing emotions and my emotions can be rather backwards at times.

For example when I lose a pet or a family member who is of old age (not a sudden death, something which was expected) I don't cry or feel distraught, I seem to go into some kind of "well they had a good life" mode and view it from that point of view. I get more upset by watching my other family members in such distress about it.

But then when it comes to sad movies I usually have no issues getting things stuck in my eye and the damn things watering a little, so I certainly do feel it when I should.

Weird child I am xD
Old 08-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm the same way. I think most people would be surprised to see the true way I feel about things. It's strange because I don't try to hide it, it's just like there is no connection between my exterior response and interior feelings.

Writing this even made me recall a rather funny memory. I can remember receiving a gift from my grandparents one Christmas and saying "Oh, thanks," in a rather monotone voice. I quickly qualified that with, "It may not sound like I like this present, but I really did. Thanks." I feel like such a robot, when I'm really not at all.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

ptsd?

I am the same also.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

anger seems to be the only emotion that i can express. even when i cry once every 5 years or more it comes out like anger. i chalk it up to being an emotionally handicapped choleric person.
sacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can express sadness and anger. But not really being happy. Maybe because I'm never happy any more so that's why.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belshazzar View Post
I'm the same way. I think most people would be surprised to see the true way I feel about things. It's strange because I don't try to hide it, it's just like there is no connection between my exterior response and interior feelings.

Writing this even made me recall a rather funny memory. I can remember receiving a gift from my grandparents one Christmas and saying "Oh, thanks," in a rather monotone voice. I quickly qualified that with, "It may not sound like I like this present, but I really did. Thanks." I feel like such a robot, when I'm really not at all.

Yes, I know the feeling!
wjc75225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

i do this a lot, and i just realized something...i think i may be more monotonous toward people who have hurt me emotionally.
haha, yeah, this is so true...because sometimes i'm quite animated with people i hardly/don't know (on a good/low-anxiety day). how strange.
xtina is offline   Reply With Quote