Visual-Spatial Learning Disability / Nonverbal Learning Disorder - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Reply
Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14



Default Visual-Spatial Learning Disability / Fine Motor Skills Disability

Some visual discrimination problems are

__ has difficulty telling the difference between similar printed letters or figures; i.e., p & q, b & d, + and x, or square and rectangle
__ has a hard time seeing the "big picture"; i.e., focuses on the details or patterns within the picture
__ has difficulty locating items among other items; i.e., papers on a desk, clothes in a drawer, items on a grocery shelf, or toys in a bin/toy box
__ often loses place when copying from a book or the chalkboard
__ difficulty controlling eye movement to track and follow moving objects
__ has difficulty telling the difference between different colors, shapes, and sizes
__ often loses his/her place while reading or doing math problems
__ makes reversals in words or letters when copying, or reads words backwards; i.e., "was" for "saw" and "no" for "on" after first grade
__ complains about "seeing double"
__ difficulty finding differences in pictures, words, symbols, or objects
__ difficulty with consistent spacing and size of letters during writing and/or lining up numbers in math problems
__ difficulty with jigsaw puzzles, copying shapes, and/or cutting/tracing along a line
__ tends to write at a slant (up or down hill) on a page
__ confuses left and right
__ fatigues easily with schoolwork
__ difficulty judging spatial relationships in the environment; i.e., bumps into objects/people or missteps on curbs and stairs



Motor skill defecits


__ __ difficulty learning to ride a bike or other "moving" equipment __ __ clumsy, uncoordinated, and accident prone
__ __ difficulty walking on uneven surfaces
__ __ difficulty with fine motor tasks such as buttoning, zipping, tying, knitting, sewing, playing games with small parts, closing zip loc bags
__ __ confuses right and left sides
__ __ difficulty with handwriting; hard to read, takes a long time to write
__ __ frequently bumps into people and things
__ __ frequently misses when putting objects on a table
__ __ messy eater, difficulty with eating utensils, spills and drops food
__ __ knocks drinks or other things over when reaching for them
__ __ frequently drops items
__ __ has to talk self through tasks
__ __ hums or vocalizes while concentrating on a task
__ __ significant difficulty learning to tie a tie
__ __ difficulty with motor tasks requiring several steps
__ __ difficulty lining up numbers correctly for math problems and/or balancing a checkbook
__ __ difficulty learning new motor tasks...a new dance, sport or exercise activity, how to drive
__ __ lose balance frequently
__ __ significant difficulty learning to type the "proper" way

Other symptoms

__ __ can't identify objects by feel if your eyes are closed
__ __ difficulty finding things in your purse or pocket without looking
__ __ don't seem to notice if your hands or face are dirty
__ __ bothered by hands or face being dirty
__ __ loves to touch and be touched, has to touch everything
__ __ have a hard time feeling where a bug has bitten you or whether you are being bitten
__ __ difficulty heating food to the correct temperature, feeling if it is too hot or too cold
__ __ difficulty locating items in a cupboard, drawer, in your closet, or on a grocery shelf
__ __ difficulty with recognizing/interpreting/following traffic signs
__ __ difficulty judging distances about where your car is in relation to other cars, in parking spaces, or near a curb (fail miserably at parallel parking!!)
__ __ difficulty merging into oncoming traffic on road, rotary, or highway
__ __ get disoriented and/or lost easily in stores, buildings, hiking, etc.
__ __ can't sleep if room isn't completely dark
__ __ fearful of heights
__ __ difficulty concentrating on or watching a movie/tv show when there is background noise or distractions
__ __ difficulty remembering or understanding what is said to you
__ __ difficulty following directions if given two or three at one time
__ __ can not complete concentrated tasks if noises present
__ __ sensitive, or over reacts, to sirens, dogs barking, vaccuum cleaners, blenders, or other sudden/loud sounds
__ __ talks too loud or too soft
__ __ become engrossed in one single activity for a long time and seems to tune out the rest of their environment
__ __ great difficulty settling body down for sleep or waking up in the morning (did you even hear the alarm that has been going off for 15 minutes?)
__ __ bumps into things frequently
__ __ often pushes too hard on objects, accidentally breaking them
__ __ difficulty judging how much pressure to apply when doing tasks or picking something up
__ __ difficulty identifying which key on your ring belongs to what
__ __ numbers and letters often reversed or backwards
__ __ difficulty telling time on an analogue clock
__ __ difficulty reading and understanding a map, bus schedule, directions
__ __ difficulty organizing and grouping things by categories, similarities, and/or differences
__ __ can't seem to find words in word search puzzles
__ __ unable to identify foods that have gone bad by smell
__ __ difficulty being able to smell dangerous smells, i.e., smoke, noxious/hazardous solvents
__ __ difficulty being able to smell when something is burning on the stove or in the oven
__ __ difficulty distinguishing different tastes and/or flavors of food and/or drink items
Anxious Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 39



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxious Angel View Post
I have bad handwriting, am bad at arts and crafts, I am really bad at math, bad at science, bad at jewelry and beads, bad with visual memory, am bad at drawing, get lost all the time, drop things, spill things, am bad at driving, am late all the time, have no sense of time, forget things, have trouble focusing, have a bad sense of direction, have trouble organizing thoughts and writing essays, have executive dysfunction, lose things, have trouble finding things, have trouble judging space and distance, I am very disorganized. NLD seems to cover deficits in visual perception and fine motor skills. However, I don't have all the symptoms. I am very good at reading nonverbal communication. I can read facial expressions and body language very well, I understand sarcasm and social cues and pragmatic language well and developed relationships well growing up. I also talk in a normal voice and don't have trouble changing my voice tone. I have a lot of intuition and understand hidden meanings well. I understand nuances and hidden meanings well and don't take things literally. I also have emotional intuition and can sense feelings well. My personality is more ADD than NLD, but I have symptoms of both. Ironically, I am more right brained, creative, disorganized.
that describes me to a T!...i've been diagnosed with ADD-inattentive type, Asperger's and NLD by 3 different dr's...it's impossible to have all 3! - and yet, like you, i don't fit any one category completely....hmmm, maybe you're onto something here - maybe we have an entirely *different* disorder - one that hasn't been discovered yet?!
MandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1



Default

that describes me too, except im a little more coordinated, and dont get lost too often, but every once in a while if im not paying attention ill just get swept up and not know where i am or anything, its actually kind of interesting when it happens, like your floating in a sea of nothingness... i too was diagnosed with inattentive add, then a neurologist diagnosed me with nonverbal learning disorder. its strange how im left handed for one and dont fit any of the major things with the disorder about understanding hidden meanings, intuition, right brained thinking, all that nonsense, and still "have it". but idk ever since then i might as well be deficient in all those areas since i got stuck believing all that about myself. but they said it was just the gap between my verbal abilities and nonverbal abilities that was the problem, but they were both pretty high so it might just not be too bad of a problem anyways idk
rndmname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1



Default Our 11 year old has similar issues...

I know these threads are old - have any of you found any information or gotten any clarification about these multiple disorders? We have an 11 year old who has the same multiple diagnoses and issues. She's had much PT and OT over the years but seems not to be progressing as she gets older.

Have any of you tried anything that has improved things for you? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
kmweiss5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
LynnNBoys's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 766



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmweiss5 View Post
I know these threads are old - have any of you found any information or gotten any clarification about these multiple disorders? We have an 11 year old who has the same multiple diagnoses and issues. She's had much PT and OT over the years but seems not to be progressing as she gets older.

Have any of you tried anything that has improved things for you? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
Was she ever evaluated for Sensory Processing Disorder? Much of what the OP mentioned can be found under the classification of SPD. SPD often gets misdiagnosed as ADD, or as some learning disorders. If she still goes to OT, ask the therapist if she/he is trained to evaluate SPD. Some PT/OT is strictly for fine and gross motor skills but don't actually help SPD-wise. The OT has to be specific to the person's needs.

There's a link to the SPD checklist in my siggy.

My 10 year old has SPD and anxiety. He did OT for a little more than a year. Now we are more focused on his anxiety and social interactions. He goes to a weekly social skills group.
__________________
Moms and Dads group at SAS:
Moms and Dads
LynnNBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 163



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxious Angel View Post
Some visual discrimination problems are

__ has difficulty telling the difference between similar printed letters or figures; i.e., p & q, b & d, + and x, or square and rectangle
__ has a hard time seeing the "big picture"; i.e., focuses on the details or patterns within the picture
__ has difficulty locating items among other items; i.e., papers on a desk, clothes in a drawer, items on a grocery shelf, or toys in a bin/toy box
__ often loses place when copying from a book or the chalkboard
__ difficulty controlling eye movement to track and follow moving objects
__ has difficulty telling the difference between different colors, shapes, and sizes
__ often loses his/her place while reading or doing math problems
__ makes reversals in words or letters when copying, or reads words backwards; i.e., "was" for "saw" and "no" for "on" after first grade
__ complains about "seeing double"
__ difficulty finding differences in pictures, words, symbols, or objects
__ difficulty with consistent spacing and size of letters during writing and/or lining up numbers in math problems
__ difficulty with jigsaw puzzles, copying shapes, and/or cutting/tracing along a line
__ tends to write at a slant (up or down hill) on a page
__ confuses left and right
__ fatigues easily with schoolwork
__ difficulty judging spatial relationships in the environment; i.e., bumps into objects/people or missteps on curbs and stairs



Motor skill defecits


__ __ difficulty learning to ride a bike or other "moving" equipment __ __ clumsy, uncoordinated, and accident prone
__ __ difficulty walking on uneven surfaces
__ __ difficulty with fine motor tasks such as buttoning, zipping, tying, knitting, sewing, playing games with small parts, closing zip loc bags
__ __ confuses right and left sides
__ __ difficulty with handwriting; hard to read, takes a long time to write
__ __ frequently bumps into people and things
__ __ frequently misses when putting objects on a table
__ __ messy eater, difficulty with eating utensils, spills and drops food
__ __ knocks drinks or other things over when reaching for them
__ __ frequently drops items
__ __ has to talk self through tasks
__ __ hums or vocalizes while concentrating on a task
__ __ significant difficulty learning to tie a tie
__ __ difficulty with motor tasks requiring several steps
__ __ difficulty lining up numbers correctly for math problems and/or balancing a checkbook
__ __ difficulty learning new motor tasks...a new dance, sport or exercise activity, how to drive
__ __ lose balance frequently
__ __ significant difficulty learning to type the "proper" way

Other symptoms

__ __ can't identify objects by feel if your eyes are closed
__ __ difficulty finding things in your purse or pocket without looking
__ __ don't seem to notice if your hands or face are dirty
__ __ bothered by hands or face being dirty
__ __ loves to touch and be touched, has to touch everything
__ __ have a hard time feeling where a bug has bitten you or whether you are being bitten
__ __ difficulty heating food to the correct temperature, feeling if it is too hot or too cold
__ __ difficulty locating items in a cupboard, drawer, in your closet, or on a grocery shelf
__ __ difficulty with recognizing/interpreting/following traffic signs
__ __ difficulty judging distances about where your car is in relation to other cars, in parking spaces, or near a curb (fail miserably at parallel parking!!)
__ __ difficulty merging into oncoming traffic on road, rotary, or highway
__ __ get disoriented and/or lost easily in stores, buildings, hiking, etc.
__ __ can't sleep if room isn't completely dark
__ __ fearful of heights
__ __ difficulty concentrating on or watching a movie/tv show when there is background noise or distractions
__ __ difficulty remembering or understanding what is said to you
__ __ difficulty following directions if given two or three at one time
__ __ can not complete concentrated tasks if noises present
__ __ sensitive, or over reacts, to sirens, dogs barking, vaccuum cleaners, blenders, or other sudden/loud sounds
__ __ talks too loud or too soft
__ __ become engrossed in one single activity for a long time and seems to tune out the rest of their environment
__ __ great difficulty settling body down for sleep or waking up in the morning (did you even hear the alarm that has been going off for 15 minutes?)
__ __ bumps into things frequently
__ __ often pushes too hard on objects, accidentally breaking them
__ __ difficulty judging how much pressure to apply when doing tasks or picking something up
__ __ difficulty identifying which key on your ring belongs to what
__ __ numbers and letters often reversed or backwards
__ __ difficulty telling time on an analogue clock
__ __ difficulty reading and understanding a map, bus schedule, directions
__ __ difficulty organizing and grouping things by categories, similarities, and/or differences
__ __ can't seem to find words in word search puzzles
__ __ unable to identify foods that have gone bad by smell
__ __ difficulty being able to smell dangerous smells, i.e., smoke, noxious/hazardous solvents
__ __ difficulty being able to smell when something is burning on the stove or in the oven
__ __ difficulty distinguishing different tastes and/or flavors of food and/or drink items
I have some of the Visual discrimination problems and most if not all of the motor skills deficits. It sucks living like this.
mystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 163



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxious Angel
I have bad handwriting, am bad at arts and crafts, I am really bad at math, bad at science, bad at jewelry and beads, bad with visual memory, am bad at drawing, get lost all the time, drop things, spill things, am bad at driving, am late all the time, have no sense of time, forget things, have trouble focusing, have a bad sense of direction, have trouble organizing thoughts and writing essays, have executive dysfunction, lose things, have trouble finding things, have trouble judging space and distance, I am very disorganized. NLD seems to cover deficits in visual perception and fine motor skills. However, I don't have all the symptoms. I am very good at reading nonverbal communication. I can read facial expressions and body language very well, I understand sarcasm and social cues and pragmatic language well and developed relationships well growing up. I also talk in a normal voice and don't have trouble changing my voice tone. I have a lot of intuition and understand hidden meanings well. I understand nuances and hidden meanings well and don't take things literally. I also have emotional intuition and can sense feelings well. My personality is more ADD than NLD, but I have symptoms of both. Ironically, I am more right brained, creative, disorganized.
I have all the things you say you have (except the part about creativity) and all the things you say you don't have. Basically every single negative trait I have. Evolution has not been too kind to me.
mystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6



Default

I am still trying to figure out whats up with me. I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive 15 years ago. I have just found out about NVLD and it fits me to a T. Also i have severe communication problems and always thought i could be on the autistic spectrum. I would say i am a mix between ADHD, social anxiety, avoidant personality, agoraphobic, NVLD and possibly mildly autistic. I'm not sure a label exists for what i have yet.
alan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
WarriorGamer's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The wonderful world of video games
Gender: Male
Age: 18
Posts: 40



Default

That describes me pretty well, especially the visual parts. I have never herd of this disorder but I think I may have it
WarriorGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning Disorder and SA brealair Secondary Disorders 1 06-18-2009 12:39 AM
Learning disability and Social Anxiety jrockchrissy Frustration 2 11-10-2008 12:06 AM
Math Learning Disability pancakes_R_dandy Frustration 11 10-03-2008 02:34 PM
Do you like learning things orally or visual form? Strength The Work Place 15 01-22-2007 08:06 PM
nonverbal learning disability Jess Secondary Disorders 3 11-13-2005 11:50 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.