X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 12-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Very strong impulse to do ridiculous things?

I was reading a thread on here, and it made me realise that maybe this isint so normal.. Sometimes, randomly it seems, Ill get these impulses to do something absolutly ridiculous.. For example, I remember I was driving in the car with my mom one time, and all of a sudden I just felt like I had to take my seatbelt off, and jump out the door of the moving car.. Like so strong, I have to actually try very hard to not do it.. Imagine you put your hand on a hot stove and your brain screams at you "TAKE YOUR HAND OFF", like that kinda, except theres no stove, and its like "JUMP OUT OF THE MOVING CAR", or "PUSH THAT GUY DOWN THE STAIRS", "SMASH THAT WINDOW", "STAB YOURSELF THROUGH THE HAND" "CRASH YOUR CAR", ect..
I remember one time when I was little there was this stray cat in my grandmas yard, and I was petting it, all of a sudden I felt like I had to kick it, so I kicked it as hard as I could. My grandma was all like WTF why did you do that? I just told her it scratched me, because I didint know why I did it..
Stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
foe

"Jumping out off a moving vehicle..." I get those thoughts a lot whenever I'm a passenger in a car but not as a driver for some reason. Or whenever I'm on top floor of a building looking out the window I always thought about jumping out for no reason. Or at a zoo, I would want to pet the tigers or the wolves that are fenced in.

I only think that way whenever I'm in that setting or surrounding.

I'm far from suicidal, not even thinking about wanting to die at all. Not sure why I think about doing those crazy things.
foe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full of Empty View Post
"Jumping out off a moving vehicle..." I get those thoughts a lot whenever I'm a passenger in a car but not as a driver for some reason. Or whenever I'm on top floor of a building looking out the window I always thought about jumping out for no reason. Or at a zoo, I would want to pet the tigers or the wolves that are fenced in.

I only think that way whenever I'm in that setting or surrounding.

I'm far from suicidal, not even thinking about wanting to die at all. Not sure why I think about doing those crazy things.
Its kinda like what you said, but its not just thinking about doing it, its like feeling I HAVE to do it, and actually getting ready to do it until I can think to myself "HOLD ON, wait a fvcking second here.." and stop myself. Im almost afraid one day ill act on one of these, and get myself killed.. (almost afraid, aside from the one time, ive been able to stop myself doing something stupid)
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those type of thoughts could lead to certain death if not careful.

I have thoughts to scream and act crazy in public and often I act on them. Many people in real life think im a loon however my grades in school would beg to differ.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmmm. Thinking about those things isn't that out of the ordinary. Since the only time you acted out on those impulses you were little I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think if you work on paying attention to your thoughts and quickly identifying those impulses you'll eventually learn to automatically ignore those thoughts.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I get this to, I remember fairly resently in the car with my parents driving down the motorway I took my seatbelt off and lent my weight against the door and put my hand on the door handle and like my brain was daring me to do it, I also sometimes get ones about things like snapping my own fingers, poking a pin in my eye etc. sometimes I get funny ones aswell, like if someone asks me to pass the milk or something I imagine opening the lid and throwing it across the kitchen and things like that, or screaming and shouting random things
Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

ya i get weird thoughts like that all the time. like if im driving ill think "what if i just turned into oncoming traffic" and other stuff id rather not mention because theyre pretty *****ed up. and like the guy above me, i have funny ones like today when my sister asked me a question at dinner, i had a strong urge toget as much cranberry juice in my mouth as possibe and spit it all into her face and then answer the question casually.
hellofromthegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have that all the time. It's so stupid and dangerous.

Like, putting my hands in hot water. I actually did that in the bath, and I turned the water to the hottest, and just put both my hands in it. It was sooooo freaking painful but somewhat satisfying..

it's like those thoughts keep attacking your brain, you don't want to do it but SOMETHING is making you do it.
beatlesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

i would have random impulses as well. sometimes i would be holding a knife and i wonder what it feels like to stab myself or i wonder what it's like to really speed when i'm driving or i have impulses to buy something expensive just for the fun of it. i just have random impulses.
mysterioussoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

i tend to have impulses to do something whacky out of blue as well (usually when im hyper tho) and then i have impulses of being violent (when im on rage) which all are hard to stop, so i usually just seclude myself from others in bathroom, and i dont judge nobody (with exceptions tho) with weird or violent tendencies at all, however..

for this \/ dude id totally throw away all my sa shiit and kick yo balls as hard as i could like u never felt befor! srsly man!!! D:<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantheman View Post
I was reading a thread on here, and it
I remember one time when I was little there was this stray cat in my grandmas yard, and I was petting it, all of a sudden I felt like I had to kick it, so I kicked it as hard as I could. .
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yes, I get that all the time. It's hard not to actually do it when the impulse is strong. In high school I imagined pushing people down the stairs. I also had the urge to run out of the building and never stop going until I got home.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

I get these thoughts all the time. When I am on top of a building I always think about jumping off, even though I don't want to. There are many other thoughts I get that are rather disturbing. I have expressed these thoughts to my psychiatrist and I have been diagnosed with OCD, the PURE-O version. I have never ever acted on these thoughts before, never. You did act on one thought when you were a child. But, I guess you can be forgiven, since you were a kid and your mind wasn't fully mature. We all did stupid stuff when we were kids. Are you seeing any professional help about your problems? Anyway, for what its worth, you aren't the only one suffering from these disturbing thoughts.
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye--Kite by U2

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption
rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've had the impulse to beat the **** out of ('deserving') people right on the spot, it took all I had not to.
Misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes it seems its a another common symptom of SA paranoia. It's like you are afraid you are loosing control of your self. I used to have these ideas also, but never have acted upon any of them. It interesting to hear how SA seems to affect people in exactly the same way.
SilentOutcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have OCD and this is pretty much what it's like for me. I have to do certain things because my brain tells me to. And if I don't then I have a fear that something bad is going to happen to me or the ones I love.
Christa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropic View Post
I've had the impulse to beat the **** out of ('deserving') people right on the spot, it took all I had not to.
Similarly, I often feel the same way. In my head, I can imagine beating them into a pulp, but use every ounce of strength from actually doing it in real life.
hopelesslyhopeful90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartKid View Post
for this \/ dude id totally throw away all my sa shiit and kick yo balls as hard as i could like u never felt befor! srsly man!!! D:<
Lol. You could try, you would fail tho, and end up like some other VERY sorry people..
Old 01-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

wahahah rly? trust me dude u dont mess with cats n me! ha!
>:P
Old 01-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

That's one of the symptoms of Tourette's. Do you have any vocal tics?
odd_one_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd_one_out View Post
That's one of the symptoms of Tourette's. Do you have any vocal tics?
errz..u liek maybe talking to me? :/ wellz..if so then lol i dont get any of what u say thar xD