X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stuttering...?

Does anybody else stutter when they talk?
Or have you developed the habit later in life when you never had it as a child?

I started stuttering really bad when I reached my 20's. I wonder if it is linked to depression/SA issues? I read that it is a disorder but most ppl have it in early childhood (like a learning Disability)?
H4hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this is a depression/SA issue, but I think it could be.

I never used to stutter, but I started developing an occasional stutter during my 20's. I'm in my 30's now and for the past couple of years, I've been stuttering quite often. It's probably the worst this year than ever before.

I think it's a breathing issue for me. I find that when I talk, within a minute, I start feeling breathless and light-headed, and so I end up stuttering the rest of my speech. My tongue gets lazy and lethargic, so my speech ends up being garbled. At other times I sometimes have troubles pronouncing words with lots of syllables in them too.
kraigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is an anxiety symptom. You could start by trying to work just on the symptom or you could try and tackle the reason.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4hope View Post

I started stuttering really bad when I reached my 20's. I wonder if it is linked to depression/SA issues? I read that it is a disorder but most ppl have it in early childhood (like a learning Disability)?

Yes, I stutter. My maternal grandfather likewise had a stutter. Stuttering seems to run in families. If a woman stutters, there's a 50 percent chance her children will stutter.

I have Persistent Developmental Stuttering ( PDS ), and my stuttering started when I was around 4-years-old. Fifty-percent of childhood stutterers outgrow it. If a child is still stuttering by the age of say 18, he or she is not likely to outgrow it.

Three-quarters of stutterers are men. So the disorder affects men to a greater degree than women.

Stuttering is a brain disorder. MRI scans of stutterers' brains confirm that our brains are wired differently.

It's somewhat unusual to start stuttering in your twenties. As far as I know, a head injury sometimes is the source of a stutter at an older age. I would talk to a professional and get their opinion.

Social anxiety and stuttering is not a good combination. Thankfully, I stopped taking antidepressants eight years ago and my stutter is better. I take Klonopin and that seems to help my fluency, too.
Envision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I stutter, and speak very quietly while doing it. So I have two bad habits, which means when I talk to people, they usually lean closer with their ear inclined towards me, or ask me to repeat myself. It's kind of embarrassing. But I know it's something I need to work on.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I sometimes stutter when I am very nervous. This means that it happens in places such as crowded shops, which makes it all the more embarrassing!

I first developed a stammer when I was about 18, and I became very self-conscious about it very quickly. I can remember the day when I phoned one of my friends and said "H.. h... h... ", and he said "Oh hi Patrick!". I felt absolutely crushed.

Recently it has come back, which I can only attribute to my increasing anxiety. One thing I have found which helps me is that whenever I start to stammer, I simply start take a breath and start the sentence again, taking more care about choosing the right words. It works; and what's more, most people don't even seem to notice that I have done anything strange. When you start to listen, you'll hear that other people start their sentences again, go back on words etc., all the time.

I wish you the very best in coping with this embarrassing problem. You're not alone. Look after yourself.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efsee View Post
I was going to make a thread about this but wasn't sure if anyone here stuttered. I started stuttering when I was about 16 or 17. It's not bad, it only happens when i'm telling a long story or explaining a joke, which ruins the joke by the way if you can't even get the timing right . It has happened occasionally while ordering food but It's not too debilitating, I can spit out what I want to say when I absolutely have to. I just have to say the word slowly. It's an interesting experience, it's like there's an actual physical blockage in your speech.

I was searching for why I may have this stutter. One of my friends is a speech therapist. I asked her what causes stuttering and she said one of the reasons could be a lack of confidence, which makes a lot of sense in my case. Another possibility that I came up with is that I rarely spoke for 5 years, only to my family and one closest friend so it's possible that i'm just out of practice.

Lack of confidence doesn't cause stuttering. That is certainly a symptom of stuttering but it's not directly related to the cause. Many people lack self-confidence, but the incidence of stuttering is low. The general incidence of stuttering is reported to be 1 percent. I don't think that stat is accurate.

I assume the incidence of stuttering is higher than 1 percent. Maybe 1.5 percent? It's not 10 percent. There's a lot of stigma associated with stuttering, so many stutterers avoid talking as much as possible.

And many stutterers are very good at concealing their stutter. They may use substitute words that are easier to say and other techniques.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I stuttered a bit as a young child. Now I may occasionally when I'm talking too fast, but its easily controlled if I just pace myself a bit.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

I do stutter when i'm nervous!
Time for a sound card upgrade, i think.
Scrub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I sometimes stutter when I am very nervous. This means that it happens in places such as crowded shops, which makes it all the more embarrassing!

I first developed a stammer when I was about 18, and I became very self-conscious about it very quickly. I can remember the day when I phoned one of my friends and said "H.. h... h... ", and he said "Oh hi Patrick!". I felt absolutely crushed.

Recently it has come back, which I can only attribute to my increasing anxiety. One thing I have found which helps me is that whenever I start to stammer, I simply start take a breath and start the sentence again, taking more care about choosing the right words. It works; and what's more, most people don't even seem to notice that I have done anything strange. When you start to listen, you'll hear that other people start their sentences again, go back on words etc., all the time.

I wish you the very best in coping with this embarrassing problem. You're not alone. Look after yourself.

The Food and Drug Administration ( FDA) is currentely conducting trial studies on a medication specifically for stuttering. As far as I know, this medication is in the final trial stage. It's passed every trial stage with flying colors.

It's conceivable this medication could be on pharmacy shelves in a few years. It's hard to say. This very severe recession may move the time table back.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envision View Post
Lack of confidence doesn't cause stuttering. That is certainly a symptom of stuttering but it's not directly related to the cause. Many people lack self-confidence, but the incidence of stuttering is low.
I didn't mean it was the cause, just a possiblility for my own specific problem. I know it's much more complex than that.
Efsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
I stuttered a bit as a young child. Now I may occasionally when I'm talking too fast, but its easily controlled if I just pace myself a bit.

A lot of kids outgrow it to a large degree. Some don't stutter at all.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efsee View Post
I didn't mean it was the cause, just a possiblility for my own specific problem. I know it's much more complex than that.

I've had tons of speech therapy. To say the least, I have a lot of issues with speech therapists. Stuttering is a brain disorder, so I personally believe that speech therapy is the wrong approach.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

I get a nervous stutter sometimes although it's is due to anxiety.
UKPhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

When I get nervous/anxious I stutter a word or two.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

I’m Glad I found this section. HHope even doe my father speaks fast and stutters a bit not to much but noticeable I try to believe I didn’t inherit this. That’s why I’m here I’m trying to associate my stuttering with what I now know is social anxiety as a kid I did not stutter I noticed that I stutters a little bit during my mid years in high school I never knew about social anxiety so theirs no way I could have diagnosed myself with this but recently trying to figure away to stop stuttering not just for myself but also for my 2 year old song which is the person I most love in this world. Sometimes I look at him and feel so bad because I would hate for him to be like me. Back to subject. Until recently I started learning about Social Anxiety as far back as I can remember I have been shy but not regular a natural shy like im just like that. I started reading about shy Todd’s and read something that described me perfectly. Wao I’m writing a lot and getting of subject. Sorry. The point is that in my case and I believe other cases Social Anxiety can producer or worsen stuttering. Ph.D's who write about this swear on there life that they are not associated but they are because im living proof. The truth of the matter is that their are different cases of S.A.D. Social Anxiety disorder and different cases of stuttering. Im sure medication can help me, never tried doe. But I have noticed the few times that I haven been drunk my tension, anxiety went down and in those cases I was able to socialize and make friends with people. (Wont Give details) but the next day people will call me and even tell me I sound like a totally different person. My Diog. Of my social anxiety is: I’m constantly bothered by what someone can be thinking of me, when driving or walking in public I feel people are starring at me and I don’t have the will power to stare back, I’m only able to think (Why are they looking at me? Why?), Cant answer phones because of fear of not stuttering but having no words come out my mouth, can talk to higher authority without stuttering or having a hard time speaking.

People I assure you I am not a monster or a freak even doe I might seem like from everything I have written.

The honest truth is that I never really cared about my condition for the whole time that I have known or myself. But I breaks my heart to think my son can be the same way. I have noticed that he doesn’t socialize with other kids’ at all even doe he only talks Spanish and we live in the US his only 2 and that’s what we speak at home. BUT IT BREAKS MY HEART. The other day I looked into his eyes and so much anxiety got into me that I had to leave him with my wife for a little bit and catch my breath my eyes felt like they burned and teared up a lil bit but anxiety makes me feel horrible.

There is so much more to day but I have written enough.
aricu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have mild cerebral palsy, and it affects my speech. I have a low lung capacity so I can get winded easily when I'm talking. Usually if I'm completely relaxed, I rarely stutter. But I can't do things like walk and talk because I need as much air I can get when I speak. When I get nervous, my symptoms are highly magnified. I don't stutter in the sense where I go "t-t-t-t-t" but I will get to a word and find it impossible to get it out. Like, "I went to the st-...." and it's like I can't say store. I think if I had my anxiety under control, my speech would be a lot better.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I used to stutter a lot. People would make fun of it, so I worked on it on past couple years. Now, I rarely stutter anymore.
DSPFrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4hope View Post

I think if it started in adulthood, it's related to SA. I stutter sometimes, but I don't let it bother me. It's not embarrassing to me, it just pisses me off.
I know a young man who stutters and I think it's endearing.
epril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

I stutter sometimes but most of my verbal communication problem is due to the fact that i mumble and talk too fast. I really hate talking because it means people s full attention is on you and so i want it over with as soon as possible so i try to say what i need as fast as possible, which often results in quiet mumbling and the person having to ask me to repeat what i said, which in the end just makes me more self-conscious.
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote