X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sometimes I feel like nothing is real..

Or I think I'm living the same moments over and over again, I feel like I'm insane, help? Is it a panic disorder?, I have no chest pain, slight trouble breathing though, my head kinda feels weird, but it doesn't hurt..
Asthmatic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

It might be some form of Depersonalization, sometimes it can be caused by anxiety or depression. It can make everything feel less real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
StrangeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeSpirit View Post
It might be some form of Depersonalization, sometimes it can be caused by anxiety or depression. It can make everything feel less real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
THIS.

I have had this a couple of times and when it did happen it was when i felt depressed.

I felt that nothing was real and that I was not real and that everything must be a dream
sweet_tiff4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I experience this quite a lot. Along with Deja vu.
Tнᶓ ᶂuturε Iѕ ɳош  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tнᶓ ᶂuturε Iѕ ɳош View Post
I experience this quite a lot. Along with Deja vu.

me too and i couple of times ive felt like i was watching myself like outside of my body.dont know if that really relates.
zombiecupcakebrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could be depersonalization, could also be derealization. I know I've felt the same from time to time and it's always when I'm either depressed or my anxiety has gotten so bad that it's turning into a panic attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization
thisisfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

hm i've felt this so many times. now i can put a word to what its called.
sesfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is such a relief to have found this forum. I have had panic attacks since I was 13 and am in my early 40s now. I thought I had experienced all it could do. But, about 2 years ago I was talking to someone and had the deja vu feeling..but not a typical deja vu...it was more like.."I know how this is going to play out" weird feeling...than I think..."how can you possibly know that snap out of it" and I did. I tossed it up to that good old anxiety and it was a very pressured situation.
Then, it started happening more and more...I try to explain this to others...and it is so difficult...It is like being in a real situation and thinking I know what will happen next...like when you follow a school bus..you know they will stop and open the doors at a train crossing. It is that feeling of knowing ...but you really don't...omg...it is impossible to explain.
Has anyone had this
Please respond if you have.
sgintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

yeah i think that's derealization. had that when my anxiety was really bad. Remember that film Being John Malkovich?
My911GT2993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dissociation/depersonalization is what it sounds like to me which can be symptoms of borderline personality disorder as well as other things.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah I feel that way alot in public. It's pretty scary and probably one of my worst anxiety symptoms. Like others posters have said before it's probably derealization/depersonalization.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Could be down to meds.
shychick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

hmmm, sometimes i feel like that too, for like 10seconds, it's weird.

Revealing deep secrets from anyone.
Post Secret

Operation Beautiful. Join in.

My World

supersoshychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
AGO

Default I feel the Same

I feel like that and have my entire life. I feel as if no one is real and even myself, i'd move my arm and not feel like im moving it. I have friends that i have a great time with but i dont feel as if they are real and so not my best friend. I arn't under any medication and in fact never have been under medication, it's not natural and i dont beleive that a human body shouldn't be infected by meds to cure itself. I feel like my mind is elsewhere and i have no intrests or hobbies, well i do but at most times i don't feel like playing it(usually xbox 360). As my age is 15 my mind is not fully capable. Eating doesn't feel like eating and what most people find really complicated I find really simple i.e. string theory, i just read up on wikipedia and thought why is that so complicated i understand it all easilly.Still i dont know if this is how you feel and if so i understand you completly.
My mind feels imprisoned and cant use its full capacity. When i talk to somebody i feel as if they arnt real and i just feel as if nothing is real. Thanks for posting hope you reply .
AGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

i feel like that all the time like nothing is real i feel like im in a dream!
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've had this happen in a real intense way once when I was really embarrassed in public. I felt like I was watching a dream.

However, that only happened to me once. In general I feel like the people and things around me are somehow not real. Not as intense as that one time above, but beautiful scenery fails to impress me and the emotional states of others don't either. Everything seems artificial almost.
Notmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

this happens to me a lot, almost every day. i didnt know there was a word for it lol
hellofromthegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've been getting this pretty much my entire life. It comes and goes, sometimes it'll last for months at a time. I actually have it really bad right now, very intense. It's actually a pretty interesting state of mind if you think about it. Something very fundamental is changing in your perception of reality but you can't put your finger on what it is.

OP, you're not crazy. DP/DR is the third most commonly reported mental "disorder" after depression and anxiety. Very common, everyone gets it at some point.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

If you're taking any meds, or are severely depressed this can happen. It's a dissociative, similar to how DXM works on the neurotransmitters in your brain, making yourself disconnected from everything around you.
Rizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

ive been starting to feel that way lately...its as if this isnt real-- i think just after so much abuse/trauma....it just doesnt feel real anymore....my life feels like a bad movie or nightmare....nothing good has happened for years only hell and bad-- u just keep thinking..this cant be my life...it can't be real-- the life i knew so long ago-- where things were good, doesn't exist-- so this can't be real...its fiction...its some alternate universe- u only hope.....i also think it could be a possible dimensional change-- ie not change but the current state the world is in- its hard to describe...kind of like earth is transcending possibly into a higher dimension (not fictional) so maybe this perception is manifesting to others in this form-- possibly...or it could be a form of dissociation or defense mechanism of coping etc....but i think it could possibly be something many are experiencing ...not sure
sherry09 is offline   Reply With Quote