Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Sometimes I feel like nothing is real..

49K views 34 replies 33 participants last post by  Rjfire 
#1 ·
Or I think I'm living the same moments over and over again, I feel like I'm insane, help? Is it a panic disorder?, I have no chest pain, slight trouble breathing though, my head kinda feels weird, but it doesn't hurt..

#8 ·
It is such a relief to have found this forum. I have had panic attacks since I was 13 and am in my early 40s now. I thought I had experienced all it could do. But, about 2 years ago I was talking to someone and had the deja vu feeling..but not a typical deja vu...it was more like.."I know how this is going to play out" weird feeling...than I think..."how can you possibly know that snap out of it" and I did. I tossed it up to that good old anxiety and it was a very pressured situation.
Then, it started happening more and more...I try to explain this to others...and it is so difficult...It is like being in a real situation and thinking I know what will happen next...like when you follow a school bus..you know they will stop and open the doors at a train crossing. It is that feeling of knowing ...but you really don't...omg...it is impossible to explain.
Has anyone had this
Please respond if you have.

#14 ·
I feel the Same

I feel like that and have my entire life. I feel as if no one is real and even myself, i'd move my arm and not feel like im moving it. I have friends that i have a great time with but i dont feel as if they are real and so not my best friend. I arn't under any medication and in fact never have been under medication, it's not natural and i dont beleive that a human body shouldn't be infected by meds to cure itself. I feel like my mind is elsewhere and i have no intrests or hobbies, well i do but at most times i don't feel like playing it(usually xbox 360). As my age is 15 my mind is not fully capable. Eating doesn't feel like eating and what most people find really complicated I find really simple i.e. string theory, i just read up on wikipedia and thought why is that so complicated i understand it all easilly.Still i dont know if this is how you feel and if so i understand you completly.
My mind feels imprisoned and cant use its full capacity. When i talk to somebody i feel as if they arnt real and i just feel as if nothing is real. Thanks for posting hope you reply :).

#16 ·
I've had this happen in a real intense way once when I was really embarrassed in public. I felt like I was watching a dream.

However, that only happened to me once. In general I feel like the people and things around me are somehow not real. Not as intense as that one time above, but beautiful scenery fails to impress me and the emotional states of others don't either. Everything seems artificial almost.

#18 ·
I've been getting this pretty much my entire life. It comes and goes, sometimes it'll last for months at a time. I actually have it really bad right now, very intense. It's actually a pretty interesting state of mind if you think about it. Something very fundamental is changing in your perception of reality but you can't put your finger on what it is.

OP, you're not crazy. DP/DR is the third most commonly reported mental "disorder" after depression and anxiety. Very common, everyone gets it at some point.

#20 ·
ive been starting to feel that way lately...its as if this isnt real-- i think just after so much abuse/trauma....it just doesnt feel real anymore....my life feels like a bad movie or nightmare....nothing good has happened for years only hell and bad-- u just keep thinking..this cant be my life...it can't be real-- the life i knew so long ago-- where things were good, doesn't exist-- so this can't be real...its fiction...its some alternate universe- u only hope.....i also think it could be a possible dimensional change-- ie not change but the current state the world is in- its hard to describe...kind of like earth is transcending possibly into a higher dimension (not fictional) so maybe this perception is manifesting to others in this form-- possibly...or it could be a form of dissociation or defense mechanism of coping etc....but i think it could possibly be something many are experiencing ...not sure

#22 ·
weed makes life real. seriously. it makes you realize that life is actually REAL. when you find that out yourself its more appealing than someone telling you.
why do you think people look at their hands and space out when high. because they are seeing the world for the first time.

at least try weed once in your life. but for me i tried it quite a few times to understand what the effects are and compare it to real life and the fact that i have nerve problems in my face which fken blows. and everytime i go high i noticed something different about life. like "no one cares about your flaws". seriously.
finding out things yourself is one of the greatest things in life and weed has helped me do just that.

but i dont smoke any more because im finding a job

#24 ·
weed makes life real. seriously. it makes you realize that life is actually REAL. when you find that out yourself its more appealing than someone telling you.
why do you think people look at their hands and space out when high. because they are seeing the world for the first time.

at least try weed once in your life. but for me i tried it quite a few times to understand what the effects are and compare it to real life and the fact that i have nerve problems in my face which fken blows. and everytime i go high i noticed something different about life. like "no one cares about your flaws". seriously.
finding out things yourself is one of the greatest things in life and weed has helped me do just that.

but i dont smoke any more because im finding a job
dude weed PUT me in this situation.. im scared for all ****ing enternity now

#23 ·
~!@~!#~~!#~!@~!#~!#@~!@ Okay someone PLEASE reply to me, this is how i feel exactly and if someone else feels the same please talk to me im so scared :'( i feel like life isnt real, there is no such thing.. what comes after death? and if thats heaven then what created heaven? ANSWERS WE CAN NOT FIGURE OUT ...
nobody will know it drives me insane.. like who created god? and who created the the thing that created god? its a neverending question, i feel like a third person sometimes, my hearing gets super sensitive and my eye sight. i feel like life is just a circle and well never get out of it, i feel trapped.. like inside my mind.. the ONLY thing i feel would help me get out of this mood would be either meds, or like take some morphine or something to forget i EVER thought about the universe and what happens.. im so so so scared how do i get out? I need something i feel like im going insane someone :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( am i the only one who feels this? PLEASE ANSWER SOMEONE

#25 ·
I am a 21 year old male and I used to smoke marijuana heavily. I have gone trough multiple stages where I smoke weed very heavily and quit because of obsessive thoughts of not understandable things. I picked up the habit again recently but I don't recall ever feeling like I do now. I quit smoking a few days ago but I've noticed some symptoms have gotten worse. I have been constantly telling myself I am getting schitzophrenia and researching the symptoms constantly on my IPhone. I also have been questioning reality and don't seem to care what happens and I find myself hoping some external event will stap me out of this but I am still experiencing these disabling thoughts. I am an active college student in a fraternity and I never thought these kind of things would ever go through my head, but here I am. I find myself beleiving that no one can help me and questioning every aspect of life. I'm ready to get back to normal life and feel love and excitement again but I don't look at myself, other people, or the world in general the same as I used to and find myself getting extremely depressed and disconnected from reality. I know exactly where you are coming from. I find myself always wanting to talk to my friends and family about how I feel but the feeling is so weird that I can't really explain it. I question how crazy language is and constantly think of how we are on an earth spinning in outer space. I am loosing interest in everything that used to make me happy (like Alabama football). I find these things pointless because it's just a bunch of humans playing a game that really doesn't matter. Overall I find myself living in my head trying to talk myself into making sense of all of this. Obviously one of my symptoms is not caring about what happens to me, and removing myself from social situations because I can't find a purpose for anything. I analyze things so quickly it even surprises me. Sorry for the length but this is my first post and I'm trying to find some good responses. I love my family so much and my mom doesn't deserve having to be burdened by me.

#27 ·
Freaking out of my mind

Someone please help.... I'm just recently turned fifteen and lately I've been having increasingly alarming panic attacks about reality and my sanity. I made an impression at my school as shy and quiet, and can't really get around, so I just go with it and I don't talk in most of my classes. I'm always nervous and self conscious, which hasn't bothered me until the past few months. I've become increasingly depressed and continue to spiral into misery. I have no self confidence and feel like no one has any time to hear what I have to say or even care. I hate feeling this way and that just makes it even worse. I don't know what this has to do with depression, but over the past few days I have been beginning to seriously question my existence and the existence of the people and objects around me. I feel like I hate everything and I have nothing going for my life and I also feel like I will die unaccomplished. I'm trying as best I can not to let things get worse, for I fear for mental health, but I also feel like there is no way I'll overcome this feeling without serious help.
I'm really scared and just want to get on with my life and would be infinitely grateful for any help from anyone out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.