X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 12-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default sleeping through alarm clocks

I sleep such a deep sleep that even my cell phone and my alarm clock ringing at top volume beside my head for 45 mins wouldnt wake me up. i need to find some method of waking myself up. I always fall asleep waiting for appts and then sleep through my alarms.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: sleeping through alarm clocks

One of my great tricks is waking up, turning off the alarm, falling back asleep, waking up again later, and having no recollection of ever turning off the alarm.

It's pretty damn annoying.
njodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Njodis - I like your avatar. That show about the land of misfit toys makes me cry, though . I don't like toys being rejected; it makes me feel bad

Noca - part of that is probably depression-related, I would think. I put my alarm on the other side of the room so that I would have to get up to turn it off. On some morning, I have a backup alarm that goes off five minutes after the first one!
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njodis
One of my great tricks is waking up, turning off the alarm, falling back asleep, waking up again later, and having no recollection of ever turning off the alarm.

I've been doing that tons lately o_O Luckily my grandparents will come wake me up if it gets past the time I usually leave for work.
mserychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
X33

Quote:

Put your alarm a bit away from where you sleep (ie. desk across the room) so you have to get up and walk to switch it off.. By the time you reach it, you should hopefully be wide awake.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Now wait just a second... how could you know that happened if you had no recollection of it?

I almost never sleep through alarm clocks, but most mornings I can't help hitting the snooze at least once or twice (usually more). Recently, I've had to muster an enormous amount of willpower just to get out of bed. Sad really.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

i've done that so many times and slept through classes. in the mornings i'm so disoriented and sleepy that i'll just smash my hand on my alarm clock until my alarm stops ringing.

Noca, do you mean you have naps while waiting for an appointment then sleep through your alarm? if so then maybe avoid falling asleep in the first place. if you only tend to sleep for a few hours then it would be very difficult to get up after that since you'll be in a very deep sleep.

i find what works for me is putting the alarm clock on the other side of the room, that way i am force to get up and turn it off (or set it to 'sleep'). but if you can't even hear it when it's beside your head then that wouldn't work.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_to_fear
Quote:

i've done that so many times and slept through classes. in the mornings i'm so disoriented and sleepy that i'll just smash my hand on my alarm clock until my alarm stops ringing.

Noca, do you mean you have naps while waiting for an appointment then sleep through your alarm? if so then maybe avoid falling asleep in the first place. if you only tend to sleep for a few hours then it would be very difficult to get up after that since you'll be in a very deep sleep.

i find what works for me is putting the alarm clock on the other side of the room, that way i am force to get up and turn it off (or set it to 'sleep'). but if you can't even hear it when it's beside your head then that wouldn't work.
good thinking I will try not to fall asleep.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

I used to know someone who had a light attached to his alarm clock so the lights would flash when the alarm went off. I have no idea where to find this though, that would be so annoying, I like to wake up gently, even if it means sleeping through my alarm clock.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h38srxvt6qE
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Or have it be a voice alarm, I had Donald Trumps voice on the ringer on my phone and I never got used it, it would freak me out every time.

Quote:
well well well, look who's getting another phone call, who do you think you are, Donald Trump or something? your phone is terminated! i have no time for small talk, and neither do you, time is money, pick up your phone

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

I set three vibrating alarms, each a minute after another, on my cell and sleep with it in my pocket. It's been able to get me up despite my having slept only a few hours over the course of a couple days so with an ordinary alarm, you should be set.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

I vote for never falling asleep in the first place.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I do this a lot, and my alarm clock is the other side of my room so I have to get up to turn it off. I really am not good in the mornings.

I'm hoping to get a Lumie clock soon, which is supposed to make waking up a lot easier because it simulates sunrise. It has a light that comes on gradually an hour before the alarm goes off.
katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by embers
Or have it be a voice alarm, I had Donald Trumps voice on the ringer on my phone and I never got used it, it would freak me out every time.

I have a better idea actually: a Tony Robbins voice alarm!! If he can't motivate you to get out of bed, no one can.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolay
Quote:
Originally Posted by embers

I have a better idea actually: a Tony Robbins voice alarm!! If he can't motivate you to get out of bed, no one can.
Every day would be just a super day when you wake up to Tony Robbins!

This gives me an idea, what would be the worst way to wake up? I'm thinking having a rooster right there on the night stand would be pretty bad.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

My sister had this alarm clock that would hook up to her lamp. It had a vibrate thing that was supposed to be put under the mattress. Whenever her alarm went off, first off, it was really loud, second, since it was connected to the lamp it would turn the light on and off, and third the vibrate thing would violently shake from under the mattress. You'd definitely be wide awake by the time you hit the snooze button. They might as well have added a feature that dumped cold water on you as well. That was the scariest yet most effective alarm clock I've ever seen.

Also, I saw in this catalogue an alarm clock that would run away from you when you reached for the snooze button. That would seem like a funny yet cruel joke.
Now, now, darlin’
Oh don’t lose your head
'Cause none of us were angels
And you know I love you, yeah

ilikeshinythings274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

hmm none of the 11 meds your taking is causing this to happen?

Countdown to Christmas!!
http://www.xmasclock.com/
nubly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Why not use the Worlds Best Alarm clock?? This alarm clock will wake anybody up!! Here I will link.

http://break.com/index/worlds-best-alarm-clock.html

I once slept through a fire alarm.. Thank god they were just testing it.. The funny thing was that I was staying in a dorm, and all of the alarms were outside in the hallway, except one of the alarms was inside my room.. and I still managed to sleep through it hahaha.
SebFontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelyn
I'm hoping to get a Lumie clock soon, which is supposed to make waking up a lot easier because it simulates sunrise. It has a light that comes on gradually an hour before the alarm goes off.
I have one of those and it works really well. My problem is that I usually hit the snooze as soon as it starts lighting up and then the light turns off and doesn't come back on, the alarm just sounds. I am not and never will be a morning person! I'll always hit the snooze The alarm I have also has a place for aromatherapy beads in the top too so it releases a scent as soon as the light starts warming it up. this is the one i have: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/70460. ... larm+clock
sctork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

The only way I can get out of bed is to literally JUMP out. I have slept through alarms for hours before. My brother who is narcoleptic is obviously a little difficult to wake up. Been looking into the more extreme 100+ decibel alarm clock with things that supposedly shake your bed heh. Found one that you can turn off two of the three alarms with one button, but there other requires you to press like three buttons in sequence or at at the same time.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote