Sleeping only 4-5 hours a night long term....is it as bad as people say? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping only 4-5 hours a night long term....is it as bad as people say?

The last few months I have been sleeping only 4-5 hours a night. I just can't fall asleep. I kind of got used to it. I still feel a bit worn out but am able to function normally for the most part. How long do you think I can keep this up before having negative health consequences? I don't have health insurance right now so I can't afford to see a doctor.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Isnt it weird that you dont have to have health insurance but you do have to have car insurance??? weird..

Anywayyy, im doin the same thing. I go to bed at like 3 and wake up at 8 for class. Most days i feel like ****, others arent as bad.

But as far as long term effects go, nobody really knows. Scientists literally dont know how much sleep we are supposed to get each night, they just suggest 6-8.

Its weird because humans are naturally made to go to bed when its dark, wake up when the sun comes up, and nap twice throughout the day, once at 2 another time at 5. So none of us sleep how our bodies are naturally supposed to.

How do you feel in the morning and throughout the day? Do you get tired and doze off sometimes?
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Moonracer View Post
Isnt it weird that you dont have to have health insurance but you do have to have car insurance??? weird..

Anywayyy, im doin the same thing. I go to bed at like 3 and wake up at 8 for class. Most days i feel like ****, others arent as bad.

But as far as long term effects go, nobody really knows. Scientists literally dont know how much sleep we are supposed to get each night, they just suggest 6-8.

Its weird because humans are naturally made to go to bed when its dark, wake up when the sun comes up, and nap twice throughout the day, once at 2 another time at 5. So none of us sleep how our bodies are naturally supposed to.

How do you feel in the morning and throughout the day? Do you get tired and doze off sometimes?

I don't doze off but I feel like crap in the mornings. I usually bounce back around noonish and once I have lunch in me I feel better. Good observation about car insurance. I only had to use it once when someone hit my bumper and ran. But the fact that it carried a $500 deductible it made it pretty worthless. Car insurance is pretty worthless unless you get in a huge wreck. While health insurance is basically a necessity considering how expensive health care is in this country.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
I don't doze off but I feel like crap in the mornings. I usually bounce back around noonish and once I have lunch in me I feel better. Good observation about car insurance. I only had to use it once when someone hit my bumper and ran. But the fact that it carried a $500 deductible it made it pretty worthless. Car insurance is pretty worthless unless you get in a huge wreck. While health insurance is basically a necessity considering how expensive health care is in this country.
****in American healthcare is a JOKE. We are the only civilized nation without government funded healthcare. We are also like 34th on the list of life expectancy and child mortality rate.

In ****in Japan you go to the doctor, pay 20 bucks and your good. The average life expectancy of a japanese person is like 82 years. Americans have 73 years.
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well do you have any tips to sleep better? Has the lack of sleep affected you in anyway? I feel fine now but I still would like to sleep more. Maybe I should take naps.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

try taking benedryll to get to sleep or melatonin . i've been suffering from insomnia this past year. i almost attempted suicide a month ago. i do believe it negatively affects health. it's definitely not helping your sa.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

deep breathing yoga techniques help me. also getting exercise and sunlight should help some.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've tried sunlight therapy, vitamin d3, I workout 10+ hours a week, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with the season or physical activity level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingMotivated View Post
try taking benedryll to get to sleep or melatonin . i've been suffering from insomnia this past year. i almost attempted suicide a month ago. i do believe it negatively affects health. it's definitely not helping your sa.

Sorry to hear about that. It's embarrassing to admit I know.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Erm, well take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm no scientist but I did have to read quite a bit on sleep this past summer for a neuroscience course. The author of my textbook did his own experiment (on himself!) and concluded that the 6-8 hour time slot is rather overrated. I think his magic number was 5.5 hours.

My puppy photoblog
seafolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have been an average 6 hour sleeper for about 20 years or more. It is like second nature for me to go to bed at midnight and wake at 6. No need for an alarm clock. Any more or less sleep makes me feel groggy.
Sleepy time tea helps you fall asleep.
Tugwahquah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Under sleep makes anxiety worse ... I'm starting to get roughly eh 6 hours of sleep a night now and my general feeling of anxiety is so much better now... undersleeping makes you feel like crap in general.
Aella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
The last few months I have been sleeping only 4-5 hours a night. I just can't fall asleep. I kind of got used to it. I still feel a bit worn out but am able to function normally for the most part. How long do you think I can keep this up before having negative health consequences? I don't have health insurance right now so I can't afford to see a doctor.
I've heard and read that less than 6 hours of sleep a night will take years off your life. I'll have to look it up but I think long term it raises your blood pressure.

My body needs about 8-9, but I get about 7 (midnight to 7). I'm trying to go to bed earlier but not always successful.

I'd try melatonin, stopping caffeine by 2-3pm, stopping screen time (TV, computers, etc) an hour or two before bed, wear a bed mask to keep all light out.

My husband gets 5-6 hours a night and I'm worried about long-term effects on him.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Okay then what should I do to improve the quality of sleep? I already tried the typical solutions such as melatonin, keeping my bedroom dark, trying relaxing habits prior to bed, etc. It's only been a few months but I am getting used to sleeping less already. I don't think I need medication for missing out on 1-2 hours of sleep either.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

not getting enough sleep on a regular basis is actually one of the worst things for your health, from what I've read. it's true that some people don't need as much sleep as others, but if you're feeling worn out then you're probably not getting as much as you should be. I'd try to step it up to at least 6 or 7 hours per night. do you use the computer before bed? this can really disrupt your sleep cycle. or if you can't fall asleep because of racing thoughts/anxiety, meditation might be helpful.

check it out: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...t-sleep-habits
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

If this is really as bad as it is made out to be, I will be dead very soon. I have been averaging 2-4 hours of sleep per 24 hour cycle for the last few months. With little 10 minute increments peppered in where I am midway in the thick of sleep and wake. I am on xanax and ambien.
Rest or Real? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

I used to get no more than 5-6 hours sleep a night. I guess one just gets used to it over time. Now my sleep patterns fluctuate all the time.

It all depends on my anxiety levels I suppose.
That thought that says 'I'm right'.
-Bobby Sands
Mr Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

way bad been doing it
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

Studies have actually been done on the number of hours to sleep. People who slept 8 hrs turned out to be the healthiest and live the longest in long term studies. Sleeping 10 or more hours or under 6 resulted in many more health problems and shorter lifespans. There are a handful of people though who have a gene which makes them require 2 hrs less sleep than the average person.

Not getting enough sleep will have a huge impact on your mental state. It could even cause anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. For otc stuff you can take antihistamines, melatonin, and valerian root. The last one actually is the strongest to me. There are also a few pills out there that are mixes of various herbs along with valerian root that might help you get to sleep such as lemon balm, hops, and chamomile but they tend to be moderately expensive in comparison to just buying valerian root.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

5 Hours should be good, 6 would be perfect IMO. I wouldn't worry about heath concerns unless your only sleeping 2 hours a night, Evernight. But I doubt lack of sleep would even affect your physical health at all..It'll **** with your mind if your only sleep 1-2 hours a night after a while but that's probably it. I've came home from work @ 11pm, play the game a hour or 2, go to bed at 2am, wake up at 4am and go back to work @ 5am a lot of days. Nothing happens.

when you go 3+ days without sleep then it's time to worry. 4-5 hours a night is nothing to worry about...at all. Besides Your body would probably naturally shut down & force you to go to sleep/pass out before it allows something bad to happen to your health.
successful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akane View Post
Studies have actually been done on the number of hours to sleep. People who slept 8 hrs turned out to be the healthiest and live the longest in long term studies. Sleeping 10 or more hours or under 6 resulted in many more health problems and shorter lifespans.
I think there was a recent study about it! I just read about that recently too. 6-8 hours is ideal. Over or under that amount have shorter lifespans.

I guess it's good that I usually get 7. Sometimes I try to sleep later on the weekends, but I just can't sleep more than 8, rare occasions 9 hours.