X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 10-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kon

Default Selective Sound Sensitivity/Misophonia?

Anybody have this? I'm wondering if there's any relationship with this and SAD or Asperger's as there is between SAD and Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). I seem to suffer from all of them.

"People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by the sound of other people eating, breathing, coughing, or other ordinary sounds. Oddly, they are not normally annoyed by sounds that they themselves make. Reactions to these sounds are not limited however to just loud eating noises, people with misophonia find themselves affected by all kinds of noises.Such reactions are also involntary. Often, people who have misophonia are also annoyed by other people's repetitive movements, such as leg-tapping, nail-biting and typing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org.../full/70/6/739
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I experience some of that, although I'd rather not self-diagnose.

I used to get more angry about eating noises and leg-bouncing, but I'm getting better. Or maybe I'm not, and only think I am because I'm not around people as much anymore.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kon

It was an easy diagnosis for me. I feel intense rage. I have to leave the room when I hear such sounds or stay with immense anxiety/rage. I feel like annihilating anybody who makes those sounds including those closest to me. I have trouble eating with them, unless there's some white /distracting noise in the background. I've been like this since I was a teenager. The worst is to be inside a closed place like a car. My psychiatrist didn't even know about the condition because it isn't in the DSM, as of the latest edition, as far as I know.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

eating sometimes annoys the hell outta me... but people talking in other languages other than english REALLY gets to me.

Spanish, Russian... hell, even English bothers me because it seems that EVERYONE talks so goddamn LOUD and FAST it's like pipe down for 5 minutes, y'know?
anonomousguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think a lot of people have this to a certain extent. I get annoyed by people biting or picking at their nails to the point of wanting to murder the person, but other noises don't bother me. I guess it just depends on how many types of things bother you and how angry you get with them.
Jayne311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Interesting. Never heard of this. I don't have it, though there is the odd time when I'm sleep deprived that I find breathing/eating noises incredibly annoying and in my head I start swearing for a good minute, stop, take a deep breath, then it goes away. Sleep deprivation does weird things to me...
HannahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Whoa does my roommate have this?! I was eating my soup the other day, and she was like "you're slurping." I looked at her like she had 3 heads. Like, really? I'll eat my food anyway I damn well please. I thought she was just being obnoxious. I wonder if it is actually an issue.

I feel this way sometimes, but usually only if someone is already pissing me off. Like when I was little and my little sister would try to watch tv with me. I thought she was too young to be watching what I liked to watch, so when my parents allowed her to watch with me, every little thing she did used to piss the hell out of me. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about.
cellophanegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophanegirl View Post
I feel this way sometimes, but usually only if someone is already pissing me off. Like when I was little and my little sister would try to watch tv with me. I thought she was too young to be watching what I liked to watch, so when my parents allowed her to watch with me, every little thing she did used to piss the hell out of me. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you're talking about.
No, this is a serious disorder, that dramatically affects your life. I often could and cannot eat with my wife/parents because the noises are so irritating.
Quote:
Sufferers tend to start noticing a particular feature of a loved one's breathing or eating habits. They become obsessed by the sound(s), and hypersensitive to them. That sensitivity can spread to other noises made by that person (or another person) or the actions with which they make the noise, or even anticipation of it.
http://www.misophonia-uk.org/
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

yes, ticking, slurping, smacking, tapping, and those types of repetitive noises really send me to a new level of annoyed. Chewing ice or crunching hard candy... is the worst.
caflme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
It was an easy diagnosis for me. I feel intense rage. I have to leave the room when I hear such sounds or stay with immense anxiety/rage. I feel like annihilating anybody who makes those sounds including those closest to me. I have trouble eating with them, unless there's some white /distracting noise in the background. I've been like this since I was a teenager. The worst is to be inside a closed place like a car. My psychiatrist didn't even know about the condition because it isn't in the DSM, as of the latest edition, as far as I know.
Holy ****...I can't believe I'm not alone. I seriously feel like murdering anyone who coughs or clears throat loudly and continuously. Everytime someone makes either noise, I get an enormous urge to tell them to shut the **** up or give them the finger.

This started happening just months after I was diagnosed with social anxiety. My main SA symptom has been head tremor/twitch. One time at a conference my head was shaking, and the lady right behind me started coughing soon after. She would not stop until I was completely out of her sight. Since then I found more and more people clearing throat and coughing when my head shook or twitched. I've come to believe that my head tremor, when seen, makes others uncomfortable, and they in turn clear throat and cough as a sign of anxiety.

As my anxiety worsened, so did the intensity and frequency of head tremor and the sensitivity to those sounds. Eventually the frustration caused by sound sensitivity completely overshadowed that from social anxiety itself. I've become so sensitive to coughing sound that it doesn't just annoy me but startles the crap out of me. It literally feels like someone shocked me with a defibrillator. And I have to go through it everytime I hear them.

I know my 'theory' is far fetched and often not true as people cough for many reasons, but I don't think I'm being completely paranoid either. At this point it doesn't matter what I think anyway. This shocking sensation and subsequent rage come before I can do anything about it.

I'm stuck in my room all day because of this. I go outside only when I have class or absolutely have to. I'm wrecked so much physically and mentally. I don't think it can get much worse than this. But I feel a bit better now that I know this is a known medical phenomenon. Thanks a lot for posting this.

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kon

aksylish,

You might want to try some ear plugs (when you don't have to listen) like these:

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/free-earplugs.html
http://www.howardleight.com/trypilot...ot-Earplug.pdf

I tried earplugs once but they were crap. But in school, I'm not sure if they're practical. Do you have any Asperger's tendencies/characteristics or is your diagnosis just SAD?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
aksylish,

You might want to try some ear plugs (when you don't have to listen) like these
I tried them a long time ago. I use my earbuds to listen to music instead. Neither helps much though. I can still hear the sounds faintly, which is enough to cause anger.

Quote:
Do you have any Asperger's tendencies/characteristics or is your diagnosis just SAD?
I do have a few Asperger's symptoms, but I'm only diagnosed with SA. I should ask my psychiatrist about this.

By the way, can misophonia be acquired? I just read a few articles and posts about it, and they all seem to suggest it's congenital. It's not the case for me.

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish View Post
By the way, can misophonia be acquired? I just read a few articles and posts about it, and they all seem to suggest it's congenital. It's not the case for me.
Nobody really knows. There's not much research on it. I had mine since I was a teenager and it's gotten worse. Sometimes unbearable. My SAD is minor compared to it. The problem is that my SAD (performance anxiety) intereferes with my job. My misophonia intereferes with my family life moreso and affects my job to a lesser degree. When I went to university, it did affect me, especially during exams when people were slurping pop, coffee. I would go ballistic and I couldn't concentrate. Taking benzos + narcotics helped.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
people eating, breathing, coughing,
Everybody hates those sounds. Especially eating. I change the channel every time one of those Carl's Jr. commercials come on with someone loudly eating a hamburger.
LALoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

lol sometimes a believe these "disorders/phobias" are made up by some "know it all".

"oh, i see that that bothers that person so i'm going to call it a disorder!.... b itchy people avoidance personality disorder... bpaPD for short"
pumapunku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

You should research a bit more before saying that. It doesn't just bother people with misophonia. It's as debilitating as severe social anxiety. Watch some YouTube vids.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

geeez thats me thats me !
i hatte the sound of people chewing, it will tick it me until i have to say something. i thought it was normal to hate that sound, my ears seem really sensitive to it or something
I also hate when people cough a certain way like the clear throat cough, i dont notice any of these things when i do them though
"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
kid a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
You should research a bit more before saying that. It doesn't just bother people with misophonia. It's as debilitating as severe social anxiety. Watch some YouTube vids.
you are joking right? seriously, this is being clueless. i'm not even going to explain why that is.

at any rate, i did some small research about this cus... well, i didn't have anything better to do plus my curiosity got the best of me. the results from that are just what i suspected... i don't take misophonia, selective sound sensitivity "syndrome" (4S), or sensory defensiveness seriously. the only one i do believe is a real serious debilitating condition is hyperacusis.

these vague conditions are made up by "know it alls".

i know for a fact that i do get annoyed by sounds. if i hear a girl cry and cry and cry. fck yeah is going to get annoying. if i hear some persons next to me stomach growl over and over again is going to bother me. if i hear someone eating like a pig with the mouth open and smacking (no manners) it is going to bother me. that is normal and i don't feel like explaining it. take it or leave it.

what is out of the ordinary is when the/a noise affects us in such a way that it can make the heart skip a beat when theres nothing to fear. if i get scared cus some one spooked me fro behind and my heart skips a beat is normal. but if my heart skips a beat, say, when someone closes the door, that is not normal. the noise caused by the door triggers an involuntary reaction from past traumatic events. which means the noise had to happened when the traumatic event was taking place. this i don't consider a disorder. blah blah blah!

i know this noises do bother me but i'm not going to go ahead and label myself with what these "know it alls" say it is. NO! cus if i do that and their vague description do not all apply to me i'm going to feel like i'm "broken" when i'm not.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumapunku View Post
at any rate, i did some small research about this cus... these vague conditions are made up by "know it alls".
now i'm not a damn expert and i can see this by taking a few minutes to think about this.
Unlike yourself who's not a "know it all" but was able to spend a few minutes googling and did some small research on the internet but was able to come to a reasonable conclusion.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

^you are just provoking, label yourself how ever you feel like it dude.