X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Secondary or Primary cause:TBI to the right frontal lobe

I doubt many here will read this, but for those who do this is a huge part of why I am the way I am; and no pills can fix it

You see I have a healed brain injury, perfectly healed in fact it's kind of scary if you think about it but it took 16-17 years to heal correctly.
I was born with very severe issues, one of them epilepsy, but I mentally and motor skill wise developed fast and at a ridiculous rate I hit milestones one after another.

I was walking and climbing and running, using fine motor skills, talking etc before age one; unfortunately this lead to the cause of head injury number one (not to mention the awkward moment when you walk into Pre K and realize that most children your age are not like you, and you can't talk to them about things you really enjoy, and the teachers won't take you seriously so you end up hanging out with the head of the daycare and talking about the philosophy and morals of religion and how it has changed over time and you feel utterly alone among your peers even your friends to a degree).

The cause of the first head Injury?
I believe I wanted to look at something on a green metal table with a glass top (I think it was a book that was under a very heavy weight, to get to it I had to climb up the sofa, crawl onto the sofa arm, and balance my way over the edge of the couch; not kidding) and I was going to get to it.
Nobody was watching, and unfortunately my balancing act ended very badly because one of my cousins came in and saw me and shouted and I fell head first onto the table; hitting my right frontal lobe in the forward right central region and denting my skull.
This made my epilepsy worse and caused the "terminal type" that almost killed me, the injury injury I acquired 4 years later from a fight where I got my head thrown into a wall and by some odd twist of fate hit the exact same spot and did just a tad more damage.

Now how the hell does a head injury to the right frontal lobe turn into a cause for SA and depression?
In all honesty the SA was bound to happen as was the depression, if you look at the circumstances the bit about being alone in the mental sense would of caused me to have both to varying degrees eventually.
However the brain injury is a cause because of WHERE the injury was, you see the frontal lobes are sort of very important to humans and the right frontal lobe in particular tends to relate to social cues and emotional/personality development.

Here is a list of what it controls (I am not listing the learning functions because they were not affected by the injury):

The right lobe may be more involved in non-verbal aspects of communication. For example, the right lobe is implicated in recognition of positive and negative emotions in facial expressions.

The right lobe may also be involved in use of auditory cues such as intonation and inflection in the interpretation of emotional valences of sadness, fear, anger, and so forth.

The right frontal lobe is more active than the left during negative emotions, and the left hemisphere is more active during positive emotions.

The right frontal lobe concerns itself with aspects such as prosody, primary emotions, empathy and affective behaviors. The connection between affective behavior and the same part of the brain’s function in wit and humor may explain why comedians are so often depressed. It is also connected to character aspects such as vigilance, wakefulness and attentiveness. It is even linked to arousal.

Emotional thought plays an important role in human relationships, and the right frontal lobe is crucial in this area. It includes social inhibitors, ethical diligence, executive control and social conduct areas. These characteristics depend on this part of the brain.

Damage to the right frontal lobe will naturally lead to some kind of impairment of these various personality controls. Scientific studies have shown a link between damage to this area and murderous and anti-social tendencies. One study showed that 20 out of 31 convicted murderers had brain damage, and of those, 64 percent had damage to their right frontal lobes. Other studies have shown that damage to the area does not cause such behavior, but instead damages the part of the brain that inhibits it.
(thankfully I eventually got my anger under control and my urge to fight, but the issues with relationships stayed)

==> Controls impulses minimally affected, well ok I am a tad impulsive but over time I learned how to keep them under control with a iron mental fist.
==> Controls judgment Large scale judgements were not badly affected, but little ones like say not jaywalking or sometime awareness of cars when walking and talking in unfamiliar areas (and when to cross the street in cities that look like towns not cities) can be a issue. It is not that I do not see them but my brain does not always register them right away. Oddly enough I am perfectly fine in a wilderness setting, in fact I tend to be hyper aware and able to make damn near perfect decisions.
==> Language production Unusually this part was accelerated by the injury instead of halted, I am also talented at learning foreign tongues and accents/inflections due to the time the first injury took place being the "mimicry" stage for me thus leaving me sort of stuck in the "mimicry stage" that allows you to easily learn new things but also accelerating my comprehension levels.
==> Working memory
==> Motor function These work better than normal, however I can only walk straight and balanced if I do a model like "catwalk" walk; and when I run I mimic wild animal gaits instead of normal human ones. Other than that my motor skills were pretty much unaffected and accelerated instead of impaired.
==> Working the memory Affected by impairing my ability to retrieve but not store or comprehend,
==> Problem solving
==> Socialization Severely affected, aversive/avoidance behaviors and fear started after injury two and my ability to interact with others properly was impaired as well if not in a professional setting; this is why I consider my head injury a probably cause of my SA though not the factor that made it as bad as it is now. After my injury healed my ability to learn to socialize in a normal non formal/professional manner/setting has come back but I am scared of people now and I am sort of never going to be fully out of childhood due to the time the injury happened.
I can learn how to react/act in situations very well and quickly (if I overcome my SA especially) however at some level I will always be a child.
Also I was socially delayed due to the the injury (though my acting skills meant I could act proper in particular settings), and very few people even if I did not have SA would be willing to help me try to speed gain social skills.

It's a bit of a conundrum to be honest.

==> Spontaneities Caused me to be far more unpredictable and random, it is the source of my humor skill.
==> Planning I can plan things out but it is difficult for me to focus on following through, I also have issues with things not going according to plan if there is a plan and it is all related to this head injury.
==> Coordination
==> Controlling I have issues with not controlling things, though this mostly pertains to things I see as "mine" which are things I own and inanimate objects though this can spill over into other situations.
I am not steve jobs controlling bad..yet.
==> Executing behavior If I am anxious my ability to execute proper behavior is impaired and I may shut down if over stimulated to "reboot" or I have a panic attack.
http://www.neuroskills.com/brain-inj...ntal-lobes.php

Oddly enough I passed the three tests, my working memory is slightly impaired (though my long term is fine, it is the retrieval process that can be a issue) and if not in a test setting it can take a bit for me to coordinate my thoughts, but on the upside I still have my sense of humor.
http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/122/4/657.full

Good news in the long run: The worst learning side effects and facial/motor skill related side effects did not happen, my personality did not drastically change and pretty much all the "major" negatives minus worse epilepsy did not occur and I still have emotions.
The bad news?
I did lose part of my ability to react properly to positive situations, and I was more prone to negative thoughts in the long term (the injury was near the left frontal lobe side), as well as anxiety and issues understanding certain non verbal cues I had been doing very well with before.
I do have a impairment in social skills, I do have long term issues with relationships, and my frontal lobe brain injury may also be why my personality is so unpredictable and why it is so easy for me to create my "masks" as well as the cause of my personality ranging between childlike and very mature (and I can mimic a numerous amount of personalities and characters, yay head injury made me a natural actress).

And this injury did most likely cause of not intensify my SA, so anyone else got this same problem?
Questions or comments welcome, just please no touching my perfectly organized books.

Note:I am not religious, the discussions I had with that principal related to the history of religions and their effect on society both positive and negative.
Letmebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting. This reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage , but unlike Gage, you seem to have better control of your temperament. Similarly he also had his right side lope affected, but far more severe (huge iron rod went right through it).

On the bright side you mentioned that you were developing extremely fast as a young child, so at least that probably set up a good barrier from the injury making things 'worse than they could be'. You mention your 'epilepsy' is gone and you still have emotions, also good

You express yourself quite eloquently, and are quite aware of what your 'perceived flaws are'. Does being aware of them in advance help in coping ? (e.g knowing that you don't react properly to 'positive situations'

It has been shown that the brain carries 'regenerative' properties where 'neurogenesis' and 'functional plasticity' can occur leading to optimized performance given optimal environments
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v7...m/nrn1867.html

Even activities like video games can enhance brain function as shown recently in this article (in older individuals but the properties of brain plasticity still apply) http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture12486.html

But you may know your issues better then us. What has worked for you? Have there been moments where you actually were attune with a non verbal cue you picked up on, or have you ever had good relationships with people? Sounds like you've definitely learned to cope well.

Many of us here don't have injuries, we just 'developed' or had SA (or so we think). Now I'm wondering if maybe we just don't remember being dropped on the forehead as a children.

I respect that you got a positive outlook and can weigh out all the 'pros' over the 'cons'. Anyways I wish you the best of luck - nice read
fallingdownonmyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingdownonmyface View Post
Interesting. This reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage , but unlike Gage, you seem to have better control of your temperament. Similarly he also had his right side lope affected, but far more severe (huge iron rod went right through it).

On the bright side you mentioned that you were developing extremely fast as a young child, so at least that probably set up a good barrier from the injury making things 'worse than they could be'. You mention your 'epilepsy' is gone and you still have emotions, also good

You express yourself quite eloquently, and are quite aware of what your 'perceived flaws are'. Does being aware of them in advance help in coping ? (e.g knowing that you don't react properly to 'positive situations'

It has been shown that the brain carries 'regenerative' properties where 'neurogenesis' and 'functional plasticity' can occur leading to optimized performance given optimal environments
http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v7...m/nrn1867.html

Even activities like video games can enhance brain function as shown recently in this article (in older individuals but the properties of brain plasticity still apply) http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture12486.html

But you may know your issues better then us. What has worked for you? Have there been moments where you actually were attune with a non verbal cue you picked up on, or have you ever had good relationships with people? Sounds like you've definitely learned to cope well.

Many of us here don't have injuries, we just 'developed' or had SA (or so we think). Now I'm wondering if maybe we just don't remember being dropped on the forehead as a children.

I respect that you got a positive outlook and can weigh out all the 'pros' over the 'cons'. Anyways I wish you the best of luck - nice read
Knowing the why does not make it any easier especially when the why is a TBI, it is possible that some people with SA had some kind of head trauma as children and it was just never caught (it is actually fairly uncommon for brain injuries to be caught if no epileptic or coordination issues arise, especially in young children) and may have healed over time with long term repercussions regardless.

I think that neuroplasticity is why my brain was able to heal so well(though this could just be genetics too), and if I had not experienced all that negative trauma I did chances are it would be easier for me now when it comes to interpreting positive experiences.
As for being aware of how I react if I do not prepare helping me, I think it might since if I prepare for interaction beforehand (and get my mask on) it seems to go far easier.
What has worked is preparation, and trying to keep a closer eye on facial and non verbal expressions though it is difficult when you have to deal with fear at the same time; concerning interactions with people until I got very badly traumatized if given preparation time I could always play my part and get along fine (in fact better than fine).

Even now if I prepare enough it is possible for me to not feel the full brunt of anxiety till after the fact, but it all depends on the situation a new situation I have never encountered is rather terrifying to me and I will turn into this silent shadow on the wall or worse the feelings of self hate kick in and I get a panic attack.
I have started to notice before an anxiety attack I tend to have an ache in my frontal lobe region as the very first sign before the event, this has helped me learn to control or remove myself from a situation to prevent or minimize the effect.

I do not see myself as having good relations with people, though oddly others disagree with me and even say I have improved remarkably fast in a very short period of time; I think this is because I am honestly trying to learn now and when I really want to learn how to do something I learn it fairly quickly yet I have almost no confidence in myself.
Confidence is my main issue, besides the anxiety years of degradation of character by others has taken it's toll and because of how my TBI affected me initially it is far more pervasive than it would be otherwise.

Of course I should note that it may also be because due to my childlike appearance acting slightly different may not be seen as a bad thing, so even if I do not do something perfect in all minds but mine it is not a huge deal.

I am not sure if I answered this right, my brain is in graphics mode right now.
Letmebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have you been officially diagnosed with a TBI? Did you go to hospital for the TBI after it was inflicted? Was it considered mild or worse?

Does anyone in your family have mental illness?

wrongnumber is offline   Reply With Quote