Recurring Dream of Me Driving With No Brakes - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Ununderstood's Avatar
 
Status: "Why So Serious?"
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 898



Default Recurring Dream of Me Driving With No Brakes

Every now and then I will dream about being in a car driving and when ever I get to a stop sign or red light I push on the brakes but I can't ever seem to stop in time or efficiently. It is as like the brakes either don't work at all or it takes too long for them to brake. Every time I end up just going on past and missing an exit or I end up crashing.

I've had this type of dream probably more than 4 times and it's always an issue with the brakes. Just today I was dreaming about this and cops where chasing me all over the place.

Anyone know what this may mean? .
__________________
My memories of a corpse,
Mind full of sick thoughts,
And I ain't goin' back to court,
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
vegetarian's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast, USA
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 128



Default

You probably think your inadequate in some way. Like everything you do just isn't good enough in some way; first its the brakes, then the next night you somehow miss the exit, and so on
vegetarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Stormclouds's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Gender: Female
Posts: 647



Default

I looked up "driving with no brakes" on some dream interpretation sites. Here's a link to one:

http://en.mimi.hu/dreams/brake.html

Hopefully you will find it helpful, or at least entertaining.
Stormclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
JamieHasAnxiety's Avatar
 
Status: You're strange- Like me.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Some where over the rainbow, wooflea flys.
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 927



Default

I get the same dreams where, I press a number on the phone, but I keep messing up the phone number, or dreams where I'm driving, and I'm not driving properly, almost wreckless, and I'm afraid but I still try to drive. I also get dreams where I punch someone, but my swing is real slow, and weak.

It doesn't help I know, but at least take comfort in knowing that your not alone in that dream. I have the same one too.
__________________
pro·cras·ti·nate/prəˈkrastəˌnāt/
Verb: Delay or postpone action; put off doing something.
JamieHasAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Ununderstood's Avatar
 
Status: "Why So Serious?"
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 898



Default

Thanks y'all. Really helpful responses and links. Yeah, I can definitely see some possibilities that could be the real meaning of this dream. Hard to point out though, vegetarians explanation seems like a reasonable meaning. I do feel inadequate and not good enough while in social situations. Could definitely be.

I used to have (haven't had them in a long time) recurring dreams where I am at school without a shirt, or pants, or no shoes or flat out just in my underwear. I was talking about this and an acquaintance told me without hesitation that it meant that I have low self-esteem. I personally would of never known that that was the real meaning but he was pretty sure about it. He was absolutely right though, but it goes to show sometimes dreams aren't as literal as they seem.
__________________
My memories of a corpse,
Mind full of sick thoughts,
And I ain't goin' back to court,
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Stormclouds's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Gender: Female
Posts: 647



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieHasAnxiety View Post
I get the same dreams where, I press a number on the phone, but I keep messing up the phone number,.

I have that one a lot. Weird, eh? Maybe it means we want to be able to communicate, but can't somehow.
Stormclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
LostPancake's Avatar
 
Status: crazy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: walkabout
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Posts: 2,068



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Every now and then I will dream about being in a car driving and when ever I get to a stop sign or red light I push on the brakes but I can't ever seem to stop in time or efficiently. It is as like the brakes either don't work at all or it takes too long for them to brake. Every time I end up just going on past and missing an exit or I end up crashing.
Man, I have that dream all the time, especially over the last 10 years or so. Or I can't quite reach the brakes for some reason - I wind up barely touching them with my toes.

Same with the gas pedal - I'll be pulling out in front of somebody and I can barely touch it to accelerate, or else the clutch isn't engaging properly, and I can barely get the car moving.

I guess it's a reflection of being bipolar - either I have too much energy or not enough.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
LostPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Ununderstood's Avatar
 
Status: "Why So Serious?"
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 898



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPancake View Post
Man, I have that dream all the time, especially over the last 10 years or so. Or I can't quite reach the brakes for some reason - I wind up barely touching them with my toes.

Same with the gas pedal - I'll be pulling out in front of somebody and I can barely touch it to accelerate, or else the clutch isn't engaging properly, and I can barely get the car moving.

I guess it's a reflection of being bipolar - either I have too much energy or not enough.
Damn dude its tripped out right? I mean if you think about it, if that was to happen in real life it would be extremely dangerous and just plain cruel.

Oh, now that you mention it. What also happens is that when I accelerate it will keep going up until I release the gas pedal. Once that speed is reached and I release the gas pedal it stays at that velocity all the way until I crash into something cause the damn brakes won't work. It doesn't slow down ever. I consider myself bipolar as well, although I haven't been "medically", or "properly" diagnosed as such I am pretty sure I am.
__________________
My memories of a corpse,
Mind full of sick thoughts,
And I ain't goin' back to court,
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
LostPancake's Avatar
 
Status: crazy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: walkabout
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Posts: 2,068



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Damn dude its tripped out right? I mean if you think about it, if that was to happen in real life it would be extremely dangerous and just plain cruel.

Oh, now that you mention it. What also happens is that when I accelerate it will keep going up until I release the gas pedal. Once that speed is reached and I release the gas pedal it stays at that velocity all the way until I crash into something cause the damn brakes won't work. It doesn't slow down ever. I consider myself bipolar as well, although I haven't been "medically", or "properly" diagnosed as such I am pretty sure I am.
Yeah they're really annoying - not quite nightmares but they do cause a lot of anxiety.

I only got diagnosed bipolar recently, and just started on a mood stabilizer last week. Hopefully if I start feeling more stable these dreams will stop.

Anyway, if you think you're bipolar you should get a diagnosis and get on meds, as apparently it tends to get worse over time if untreated. And generic lamictal is pretty cheap, and is a bit of an antidepressant also.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
LostPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,153



Default

I used to have the "brakes not working" dream a lot. I haven't had them in a while. It's weird how dreams works. I didn't know other people had this kind of dream.

Of course, it actually happened in real life. My engine shutoff, brakes failed, and I couldn't steer =/.
wjc75225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Ramondo's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Gender: Male
Age: 50
Posts: 899



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Every now and then I will dream about being in a car driving and when ever I get to a stop sign or red light I push on the brakes but I can't ever seem to stop in time or efficiently. It is as like the brakes either don't work at all or it takes too long for them to brake. Every time I end up just going on past and missing an exit or I end up crashing.

I've had this type of dream probably more than 4 times and it's always an issue with the brakes. Just today I was dreaming about this and cops where chasing me all over the place.

Anyone know what this may mean? .
There's a great technique from Gestalt Therapy.
Every part of a dream is part of yourself. So to figure out a recurrent dream, pretend you are a certain element of your dream and find out how that element feels. So, pretend you're the brakes. What would they say?

Examples:
Brakes: "He doesn't have control over me. He gives me the wrong signals, or too late. I do my best, but he just doesn't communicate properly with me."
or
Brakes: "He gets moving so rarely that I don't want to stop him. He tries to use me too often. He really needs to use the accelerator more."

Only you will know what your brakes are saying in your dreams. Try it out.
Ramondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Ununderstood's Avatar
 
Status: "Why So Serious?"
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Age: 25
Posts: 898



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
There's a great technique from Gestalt Therapy.
Every part of a dream is part of yourself. So to figure out a recurrent dream, pretend you are a certain element of your dream and find out how that element feels. So, pretend you're the brakes. What would they say?

Examples:
Brakes: "He doesn't have control over me. He gives me the wrong signals, or too late. I do my best, but he just doesn't communicate properly with me."
or
Brakes: "He gets moving so rarely that I don't want to stop him. He tries to use me too often. He really needs to use the accelerator more."

Only you will know what your brakes are saying in your dreams. Try it out.
Interesting, I would do this while awake right?





Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc75225 View Post
I used to have the "brakes not working" dream a lot. I haven't had them in a while. It's weird how dreams works. I didn't know other people had this kind of dream.

Of course, it actually happened in real life. My engine shutoff, brakes failed, and I couldn't steer =/.
Damn that is horrible, I hope nothing bad happened to you or anyone that might of been with you....now you got me scared..


Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPancake View Post
Yeah they're really annoying - not quite nightmares but they do cause a lot of anxiety.

I only got diagnosed bipolar recently, and just started on a mood stabilizer last week. Hopefully if I start feeling more stable these dreams will stop.

Anyway, if you think you're bipolar you should get a diagnosis and get on meds, as apparently it tends to get worse over time if untreated. And generic lamictal is pretty cheap, and is a bit of an antidepressant also.
Who would be able to properly diagnose me? Is a general practitioner okay? Or would I need to see a psychologist?
__________________
My memories of a corpse,
Mind full of sick thoughts,
And I ain't goin' back to court,
So f**k what you thought,
I'm drinkin' hennessey,
runnin from my enemies,
Will I live to be 23?
There's so much pain.
-Tupac
Ununderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Indianapolis Jones's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canadastan
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 60



Default

I have a sort-of similar recurring dream, in which I'm looking for something but I CANNOT find it, and I just spend the whole dream looking until I wake up. I guess it stems from feelings of inadequacy / low self esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieHasAnxiety View Post
I also get dreams where I punch someone, but my swing is real slow, and weak.
Haha, same here.
Indianapolis Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Status: Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,153



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Damn that is horrible, I hope nothing bad happened to you or anyone that might of been with you....now you got me scared..
Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I don't believe dreams predict what will really happen. Thanks for the concern for me and others!

My left hip was hurting for a good amount of time. It must have been a pulled muscle or something because they did x-rays and the whole bit. I had a big bruise there where the seat belt goes around your lap. Thank goodness for seat belts and airbags! My nose hurt for just a day or two because it hit the airbag. I did get addicted to pain killers, which was my own doing, but I'm not doing that anymore. My car was totaled, but it could have been a ton worse. The woman I hit said she was ok, so that's good, too . I'm not sure if her car was repairable, but it looked pretty bad.

Sorry .. Didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything with this tangent.
wjc75225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Ramondo's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Gender: Male
Age: 50
Posts: 899



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Interesting, I would do this while awake right?
Ideally, as soon as you wake up from such a dream, while it's fresh.
Focus on the element in the dream that you feel is the most important. Don't think too much. For example, if you chose the car, it might be:
Car: I'm not important. I have to be here. (ie. it's your body; it's how you get around).
Cops: We have to stop this guy who thinks he can just drive like he wants to
(possibly people in general who you feel inhibit you doing things when you go out.)

I don't think there's any absolute meaning in dreams. But I've learnt quite a few things about myself using this technique. It works best with recurrent dreams, especially nightmares. You can also talk back to your brakes, your car, etc. - challenge their opinions. Whatever happens, your next dream of that type will probably be different in some way.
Ramondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
SilentWitness's Avatar
 
Status: Knock, Knock, Knockin'
Join Date: Dec 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,070



Default

I've had the same dream many times also. I've been the driver and can't manage to reach the breaks or steer where I want to go. I've had a few dreams where I'm the passenger in a car with no driver, yikesl I've dreamed that I am driving backwards and out of control and then off a cliff.

The most disturbing dream I've had of late is feeling guilty about murdering someone. I have no idea who I've murdered and I don't actually act out the murder, but I know within the dream that I have committed murder.
I looked this one up in a dream interpretation online and supposedly it is a common dream whilst having depression. I want to kill a part of myself.
SilentWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
vegetarian's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Coast, USA
Gender: Female
Age: 24
Posts: 128



Default

I used to have dreams all the time where I was at school or something with out a shirt on too, or any clothes. But most of the time I have pretty morbid dreams but thats probably because I always watch scary movies. Like last night I had a dream someone was trying to stab me in the forehead and a few nights ago I also dreamt that my ex boyfriend was in a bad car accident and I watched him die. Most of the time I lucid dream though, so I can just wake myself up or kill myself somehow so I wake up.
vegetarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
LostPancake's Avatar
 
Status: crazy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: walkabout
Gender: Male
Age: 45
Posts: 2,068



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Who would be able to properly diagnose me? Is a general practitioner okay? Or would I need to see a psychologist?
I think you'd want to see a psychiatrist - it might be more expensive, but they know more what they're doing, and have experience with the different meds available. Maybe a GP could do it also, if money is an issue, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
There's a great technique from Gestalt Therapy.
Every part of a dream is part of yourself. So to figure out a recurrent dream, pretend you are a certain element of your dream and find out how that element feels.
I like that - I have a bazillion dreams recorded - someday I'd like to analyze them.

Some movies also make more sense when you analyze them that way.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, the melancholia, the panic and fear, which is inherent in the human condition." ~ Graham Greene

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk
LostPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
 
ShyViolet's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Gender: Female
Age: 34
Posts: 1,255



Default

http://www.dreamforth.com

To dream that you are applying your brakes indicates that you are progressing too rapidly in your work or home life. You need to advance more gradually and be cautious and attentive.

To dream that your brakes failed suggests that your life is unorganized and you need to take more control of issues and situations. Research all of your options before you enter into a new venture. This endeavor may result in failure.
ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
 
the cheat's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 7,088



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ununderstood View Post
Every now and then I will dream about being in a car driving and when ever I get to a stop sign or red light I push on the brakes but I can't ever seem to stop in time or efficiently. It is as like the brakes either don't work at all or it takes too long for them to brake. Every time I end up just going on past and missing an exit or I end up crashing.

I've had this type of dream probably more than 4 times and it's always an issue with the brakes. Just today I was dreaming about this and cops where chasing me all over the place.

Anyone know what this may mean? .
This dream is the only recurring dream I've ever had. I'm driving a vehicle, approaching a stop sign or red light, and so I step on the brakes. They work, but they don't stop the car, they just slow it down...so it creeps out into the intersection while I'm stomping on it as hard as I can. I always wake up at that moment.
__________________
I got high, and forgot I wasn't supposed to get high.

-Ricky Williams blames pot for his failed NFL drug test
the cheat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recurring Dream RagaMuffin General Discussion 22 08-24-2011 04:13 AM
strange new recurring dream King Moonracer General Discussion 2 02-19-2011 11:33 PM
Recurring Nightmares sasupport Secondary Disorders 2 12-09-2009 09:00 AM
No brakes Cosmin General Discussion 9 08-17-2007 01:15 AM
Recurring nightmares d-onion Frustration 1 07-27-2006 02:59 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.