X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default plucking the hair..

Can anyone tell me if this is a OCD related behaviour.

My sister suffers from depression, consistently. When stress piles up on her, and things are chaotic, she will gather immense pleasure and comfort from tweezing the stuble from her legs. Its only the stuble type that comes from regrowth from waxing or shaving, that she will pull, her legs are covered in tiny scabs from doing this.

She will try and motivate herself with a to do list in the evening for the next day, food, bills, dog food, etc.
She'll say, to hect with that, comes home, sets the scene, cup of tea, smokes, warm room, good chair, and she will pluck away.

She is only starting to see this as a problem, cause she has started on the private areas as well.

Not sounding too daft, is this a problem. She derives so much enjoyment, from this.

jenky
Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nyx

It is a compulsive behavior. It's called trichotillomania.

http://www.ocdla.com/trichotillomania.html
http://www.trich.org/home/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
~Mark Twain
Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel this way mildly. I am very meticulous about my eyebrows, and sometimes I get obsessed about looking for ingrown hairs on my legs or bikini line. When I am VERY stressed, I will become occupied with looking at the hair on my head, and pulling out individual strands if a strand is too curly, or has a split end, etc.
It's an activity that one can easily zone out doing, and is a response to stress.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I do it occasionally when I'm very stressed and "healthier" ways of coping just aren't working. I find it very soothing, bizarre as that sounds. If you wanna know more, just ask! Here's another link:

http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/
Old 08-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm also a total hair-twirler. Quite soothing too.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh yes - I do that sometimes. It's weird.
Redferne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, this has got to be soo weird.

I (unfortunately) tend to grow hairs on my chin. With me being a female it's rather unsightly. I don't have a full fledged beard or anything but the few hairs have always bothered me. I would use nair and wax to get rid of them.

Then I discovered tweezers.

I have been tweezing these hairs for almost two years daily. I started out doing it for the sole purpose of getting rid of the hair. Then it became like an addiction. It's so relaxing. I tend to get frantic when I can't locate my tweezers. Recently I purchased two more sets so that I can have a pair readily availbe in each room.

This is so crazy to me.Once again, I'm not the only one.

I guess it could be somewhat OC'ish. I never really thought about it like that before.
dismal_dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I HATE when I lose the tweezers!!! I have a few sets floating around too.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do this. It is so relaxing.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismal_dame
Wow, this has got to be soo weird.

I (unfortunately) tend to grow hairs on my chin. With me being a female it's rather unsightly. I don't have a full fledged beard or anything but the few hairs have always bothered me. I would use nair and wax to get rid of them.

Then I discovered tweezers.

I have been tweezing these hairs for almost two years daily. I started out doing it for the sole purpose of getting rid of the hair. Then it became like an addiction. It's so relaxing. I tend to get frantic when I can't locate my tweezers. Recently I purchased two more sets so that I can have a pair readily availbe in each room.

This is so crazy to me.Once again, I'm not the only one.

I guess it could be somewhat OC'ish. I never really thought about it like that before.
I am exactly like this. I think my problem is hormones. I am a female and have hair on my upper lip, chin. I am very self conscious of it and years ago I started to pluck them out to get rid of them. I now spend up to 2 hours a day with the tweezers as I think I have made the problem worse. The hair seems to be getting worse (more of it). it makes me feel so ugly.I can remember going hunting for the tweezers as I couldn't find them. They are never far away from me when I am home.