X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OCD... while reading?!

Does anyone's OCD manifest itself in this way? It's been happening for the last six months or so, but I just thought it was a weird quirk that would eventually go away. But it hasn't. I find myself rereading sentences and even whole paragraphs until I feel that I've read it "right." (It happens only when I'm reading books.) When I try to fight the urge to reread, I can't stop thinking about it until I give in and reread. It's rather annoying to say the least.
cakesniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Never been diagnosed OCD, just "accused" but I do this too. Generally its from losing focus while reading and having to read again to understand. I'm not sure if that is what you are experiencing.

Are you reading with full comprehension but rereading out of some compulsion?
offbyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default well

I don't have OCD but when I find words that are misplaced or misspelled in a book then I want to write the author and point it out big pet peeve I know this is a big problem with some authors so yes I do have a little compulsion with grammar but it is not obsessive yet
Fiji07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I've never been diagnosed with OCD either, but yeah I do that. Not just with books though, but also with letters and emails etc.

I got an Amazon Kindle a couple of months ago, and books on the kindle have famous/important/noteworthy passages and quotes highlighted within the text. That really frustrates me because it's like added pressure to reread the passage over and over again, to try and satisfy myself that I've comprehended the apparently famous quote (even though I most probably comprehended properly the first time anyway.) It means I can get hung up on one page for ages. I feel a nagging sort of compulsion which I can't quite describe.
0lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't been diagnosed myself, but I do exhibit some mild symptoms. Mostly organization stuff. This is the most serious one I've ever encountered. It's not a reading comprehension issue. I perfectly understand what I've read, but I'll get this compulsion to reread certain sentences or whole paragraphs. It's this urge to read each and every word perfectly, and if I feel I haven't accomplished that, I go back. Sometimes several times.
cakesniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I do this but I don't think its from OCD, everyone does this if they don't understand what they just read or if they want to make sure they read it right. Teachers tell students to do this all the time so really its not a bad trait at all. Your just freaking yourself. I have OCD tendencies, but in other areas like with dishes... I always rinse out any dish im going to use with water even if its clean then I have to dry it out or then I get a nervous feeling inside, its weird lol but I control it better now.

“You may of course ask whether we really need to refer to "saints". Wouldn't it suffice just to refer to decent people? It is true that they form a minority. More than that, they always will remain a minority. And yet I see therein the very challenge to join the minority. For the world is in a bad state, but everything will become still worse unless each of us does his best.” ― Viktor E. Frankl
RawrJessiRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesniffer View Post
Does anyone's OCD manifest itself in this way? It's been happening for the last six months or so, but I just thought it was a weird quirk that would eventually go away. But it hasn't. I find myself rereading sentences and even whole paragraphs until I feel that I've read it "right." (It happens only when I'm reading books.) When I try to fight the urge to reread, I can't stop thinking about it until I give in and reread. It's rather annoying to say the least.

I can relate to this except for me it's not OCD. It's a learning disability on my part. I can read something, turn away from it, and have no memory of it. I wouldn't be able to recite or rephrase what I Just read. I have bad recall and it's very anxiety inducing because in school it's tough for me, did bad on tests and at new jobs (i have one now) there is a lot of information and I feel a compulsion, a pressure, to remember what I've read so well that I can recite it on the sales floor to clients. And when the managers ask us what we learned or gained from the product knowledge material or a meeting, I feel embarrassed because I can't recall much. It makes me extremely self-conscious because otherwise i"m very confident, creative, outgoing, but when it comes to learning and meeting new people and reading material I freeze and put a lot of pressure on myself to read, re-read, exhaustively read some more and hope that something sticks. ugh.
BoilingPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

If I'm reading fiction, I have rules about how I should read it. If it's a first-person narrative, I have to imagine that I'm the narrator as I'm reading it. If it's a fantasy story, I have to read the book out loud as though I was reading it to somebody else. If it's any other fiction book, I have to make myself feel like everything it is a real story that actually happened. I have a lot of other OCD tendencies that don't involve reading as well.
Candlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

No official OCD diagnosis for me either, but I do the same thing, among with other borderline OCD things. Sometimes I miss a sentence because I get distracted, or read it with not enough attention. I can go ahead for entire sentences before I suddenly decide that I have to go back a read the sentence I didn't give the proper attention to.
I don't think it really qualifies as OCD, because OCDs are supposed to be entirely irrational, and not reading the sentence properly may just be due to a distraction, and wanting to go back to read the sentence has the rational component that the sentence may contain fundamental information plot-wise.
The only irrational component is the fact that I read many other sentences before I decide to go back, when I could simply re-read the sentence I skipped immediately. But that can be explained rationally too, because the plot may have gotten interesting and my will to read ahead outweighs the importance the content of the sentence I haven't read carefully may have.
ShyGuy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh god that reminds me when I used to have to turn the page back and forth 10 times just to make sure I didn't skip a page, even though the pages are numbered.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Unhappy OCD with reading/comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesniffer View Post
I have pretty much the same OCD as you but with my particular OCD I have to constantly read the dictionary and try to remember the meanings of words. Therefore when I read something I'll try to define each word according to what I've learnt in the dictionary, and I'll Check the fone dictionary or a book dictionary whilst I'm watching TV reading or listening to someone speak and I'll also define it in my head. So needless to say it's very frustrating, to keep on defining and checking. I suffered from this illness sporadically for 12 yrs and I hate it when it comes back this severe. I'm on medication. My ex/psychiatrist says I have OCD and my current psychologist says its just GAD, SAD and depression.
andy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

yes!! I get that whenever i read a book! its so annoying! I feel like I haven't understood it properly so I have to read it till I 'understand' it!
gazingatthestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm not sure I have OCD, but yeah, I get what you mean. You read but aren't reading. But then feel you need to read it again, with character or narrative in mind to get it right and take in the story.
JustThisGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Happens to me too, it's incredibly frustrating, particularly as I'm taking a degree in English Lit. so have to read a fair amount of books! I can get 'stuck' reading the same sentences or passages over and over again a ridiculous amount of times, although sometimes I find I'm not so afflicted and can get through a book or chapter fairly quickly - I'm not sure why exactly this happens only sometimes and not all the time, it's most bizarre.

I find that it can really detract from the overall experience of reading, when it turns it into a frustration rather than an enjoyable hobby. And that annoys me. On a related note, when I'm reading somewhere alone I usually almost whisper the words out loud rather than reading them in my head - like the re-reading of lines and passages, I just feel a compulsion to do it, otherwise I don't feel as if I've properly 'taken in' the words. I try to force myself not to do it sometimes, but I typically end up slipping back into to old habits... and it does get on my nerves.
mooncake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sometimes I think it's cause the reading material isn't interesting enough maybe
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

(I found this while googling OCD + reading. How convenient that it happens to be on a social anxiety forum, that's another rather major issue of mine!)

I have the same issues that have already been discussed. I suppose misery loves company, because it is a relief to know I'm not the only one; or to put a more positive slant on it, knowing I'm not alone may help in confronting the issue.

It is incredibly frustrating. I recently took a little "how fast can you read" online test that's making the rounds, and evidently I read as fast as a third grader. I write fiction a bit rabidly, participate in online communities with others who do the same, and am enamoured of knowledge. All of this makes people assume I'm very well-read, but in reality I'm not because reading causes so much anxiety, tension, and feelings of shame/inadequacy. I have so many books I've begun to read and never finished.
Kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

I do this! Although, it seems to come and go, in phases. Usually it's just sentences, but sometimes paragraphs. It can be reading books but also thing on the net. It really is bothersome. Sometimes, though, I don't have the problem. It's strange how it comes and goes.... and I thought I was the only one who did this! Wow.

I wonder if it's related to something specific in our lives... or atleast, in my case. Since like I said, sometimes I have this problem and sometimes I don't.
Hanalila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tend to do this when I am exhausted. I'll practically stare at the sentence as if trying to reconfigure it. Read it a couple of time and repeat the process. Then I give up and stop reading.
AlazarRamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

My OCD would really get to me a few years back. I have gotten better about it, but sometimes I find myself reading each word carefully in my mind until I'm satisfied that it's been read properly. I love books, but it has really deterred me from reading as much as I would like. It seems like I have to read every word and if I skim over something by "accident" I find myself with the compulsion of reading it over again multiple times. But yeah, it's very distracting and takes away from a good read.
David10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

i think this is common. i've got this too.
PeakOfTheMountain is offline   Reply With Quote