X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Noises drive me crazy!

Okay, I don't know what's going on with me, maybe I'm just hypersensitive, but little noises are driving me nuts lately! I'll hear my mom chewing gum and it will sound so loud it makes me want to scream. Then I'll hear my dad jiggling the spare change in his pockets and I feel like it's travelling up my spine. It makes me want to strangle someone, I need it quiet! What's up with this? These things never used to bother me, I'm assuming these noises always took place, but somehow I never noticed them before. I also feel like I'm getting some kind of OCD, like the thought of someone using the hand towel to dry their hands before me or someone going near the glass I'm drinking out of gives me this horrible feeling. Now I have my own towel I use to dry my hands and if someone gets close to my glass, or eating utensils, I'll have to get new ones. My SA has gotten much better after therapy sessions and stuff, but now I have these new things going on. I don't what's going on, does anyone else relate to this, or have any theories? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Daydreambeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes! The other day the phone kept ringing and I could not handle that, I could not handle people talking (felt they were talking too loud), etc. I don't know what causes it. I don't feel like that all of the time, but when I do feel that way it's horrible.
GraceLikeRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm so glad that someone else experiences this! Not that it's good for you, but at least I'm not the only one. I'm almost afraid I might hurt someone if they won't stop talking, or making some other noise like chewing. What do we do?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya, i think I have this prob too. Sometimes it's people noises, and I feel like no one can live up to the standards I set for them (like no chewing gum, no burping, and other stuff) well, i mean it doesn't take much to peeve me. I try not to let anyone know, hehe. There must be some way to try to get used to it.
sonya99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anything loud annoys. I guess I just like quietness.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, I also have this problem. Everything frustrates me. Somedays it's worse than others.

I hate to hear anyone chewing, or licking their fingers, or any other gross mouth sounds. Sometimes I have to get up and leave if someone is eating too loudly. It drives me crazy. Also there's something about the sound of teeth on utensils that makes me cringe. Same with spoons clanging against bowls and stuff.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hate when people have to shout and the loudness of cars when people beep etc,both of these really irritate me and worsen my anxiety.
missnat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

People chewing with their mouths open. GROSS!!! Loud cars and motorcycles. I hate when people feel the need to rev their engines for everyone within 500 miles to hear. Loud, crappy music never ceases to drive me nuts either. People with really dry skin who constantly scratch it. Oh man, that sound is awful. People who chew gum really obnoxiously should be hit over the head with a hard metal object. Also, when I'm at my grandparents house, they make tea at about 6 AM and they have this old pot that whistles when the water boils and can be heard 2 states over.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Noises, they just bug me in general...motorcycles or loud vehicles skidding outside, chewing/mouth noises, coughing, sneezing, sniffling, the works..
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have this problem too... it gets even worse in waiting rooms... of course what makes it worse is I can't drown it out... so I'll hear the baby crying, the mom yelling at her kids, the two gossipers in the back, the lady talking to herself, the guy mumbling, the kid on his cell phone... all at once. I can't make it background noise. It causes horrible panic. I talked to my doc about this (as it happens frequently at his office hahaha) and it led him to believe it might be a mix of ADHD (as there's no longer such a thing as ADD blehh) and my panic disorder. It's been a lot better since I started treatment for the ADHD. Not suggesting anything... just what my doc thought might be the case with me... and now that I don't have to deal with the distraction of all those noises I actually get stuff done hahaha... That and I can actually get out and do stuff without getting horribly irritated by everything.
stapledmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
It's been a lot better since I started treatment for the ADHD. Not suggesting anything... just what my doc thought might be the case with me... and now that I don't have to deal with the distraction of all those noises I actually get stuff done hahaha... That and I can actually get out and do stuff without getting horribly irritated by everything.
That's great news!!! That's food for thought though, about the ADHD (no more plain ol' ADD?? ) Noises in general bug me to no end, even my cats playing in other parts of the house bug me and I should be used to that by now (I've had them for a while). Thanks for posting that, Stapled!

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppardess
That's great news!!! That's food for thought though, about the ADHD (no more plain ol' ADD?? ) Noises in general bug me to no end, even my cats playing in other parts of the house bug me and I should be used to that by now (I've had them for a while). Thanks for posting that, Stapled!
Yeah they took ADD out of the DSM a while back... I think it's stupid because I don't find myself all that hyper (well a little... but I think that's more of the bipolar haha..) and I know there are a lot of people with those symptoms who do not have the hyperactivity problems. I've heard RUMORS that they're going to add it back in the next revision but... well like I said... rumors. The ADHD is something to think about but there are a lot of other things that can cause the 'sensory overload' types of problems (the noise stuff). You have to describe it very very specifically to your doc in order for them to figure it out (or for them to even take it seriously in some cases).
stapledmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Some noises bug me...and when there's a lot of noise going on, it can sometimes overwhelm and drain me... I can get really annoyed by people chewing with their mouths open, too...and, oddly enough, sometimes my mom's voice (or maybe the volume of it?) actually grates on me, and I feel like my ears are ringing (almost like she's shouting even when she's not). It's not really all the time...but it can be really annoying when I AM experiencing it...
[insert_name_here] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have this problem sometimes too...if there's too much going on, I can't concentrate on anything, and when it's really bad I can't even talk...I just stutter and can't finish my sentences...it's like I just can't think of the words with everything else going on. I never thought that could be related to ADHD...that's interesting.
green and lonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Noises bug me too. I hate when people like the tv up so loud, and right now my cat is scratching in the litter box. Ughhh I hate that. It's like nails on the blackboard.
January 1991-February 19, 2007
lyssado707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The ADHD is something to think about but there are a lot of other things that can cause the 'sensory overload' types of problems (the noise stuff). You have to describe it very very specifically to your doc in order for them to figure it out (or for them to even take it seriously in some cases).
(((((((((((((((Stapled))))))))))))))))))) Thanks I've suspected for some time that I had ADD (ADHD ) since my oldest son was diagnosed with that.

I like the term 'sensory overload'... that seems to describe what I feel to a T

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I hate the sound of the phone ringing and when someone knocks on the door. I've unplugged the phone, now all I need is to find a house with no doors.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

I hate sudden loud noises, loud people, the phone ringing, the sound of my brother and his gf kissing, and high pitched talking teenage girls(no offense to anyone who talks like that)
Currently playing: Freeware
ghostgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

I wonder if we hate noises due to a chemical change in our brain due to the SA? I know that my sensitivity to noise got alot worse after my quick withdrawal from Celexa.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

I am sensitive to noise. When the air conditioner is on, it seems like it is roaring sometimes. Then when the television is also on with the air conditioning, I can't even hear myself talk, and I feel like I have to shout when talking to someone.

My ears are fine tuned to pick out the sound of a bird chirping in the far distance, yet when people talk to me, I constantly have to ask them to repeat themselves.