X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #101 (permalink)

Reading this is like reading about myself. The rage, the panic, the stress, the anxiety, pulling your hair, crying, freaking out.. i feel your pain because I experience this very often myself.

Edit. Right now I'm listening to loud music on my headphones in fear of hearing footsteps from the apartment above me. When hear those i lose control.

Edit. Sitting on a train just recently I wanted to destroy a guy sitting across from me because of his breathing.

Perhaps my biggest problem are high heeled shoes and the sound they make when they hit the ground. That "click/clack" noise makes me boil.

I've destroyed a lot of furniture over many different sounds in the home. When rage kicks in I want to destroy things. A common one is ripping my clothes to shreds.
wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #102 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by liero133 View Post
Perhaps my biggest problem are high heeled shoes and the sound they make when they hit the ground. That "click/clack" noise makes me boil.
Flip-flops are the worst, especially when guys wear them. Flip-flop, flip-flop, flip-flop, flip-flop...torture. And someone whistling a tune. They should be slaughtered slow and painfully. Sorry, I can't help it.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
Somtimes, it's not only sounds. But repetitive movements/actions. It's strange but while it's over 90% hearing-related about 10% seems visually-related. It's like the combination of a human sound and the visual action that's the worst. After a while, I don't even have to hear it and it still bothers me. I notice this when I'm close beside someone and they're making some repetitive "annoying" movement. Even some human touches are very annoying. It's hard to describe. Maybe someone else can describe it better?
People fidget around all the time, and I've become so annoyed by these things that I can start anticipating when it is going to happen. I get that wave when I'm in the moment, and then someone starts shaking their leg or tapping their fingers. And the sound doesn't bother me, it's the visual movement. It literally makes my stomach turn and I can feel my smile or face fading into an unhappy expression. At this point I have to be alone.

Or...

Like right now I'm in my house, somebody is in the kitchen moving around silverware and plates. It's driving me ****ing crazy, I hate this world and every sound and sight in it sometimes. Why does it have to be like this all the time something is ****ed up in our anatomy somewhere. Sometimes I feel like god is poking me with a stick and laughing.
Skye Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #104 (permalink)

Red face Misaphonia - Treatments?

Hi Everyone -

I am new to this forum. My son has Misaphonia so, I do understand how you all are suffering. He is 12 years old and has had it for about a year now. I kept thinking it would go away, but it has gotten worse and worse. What started out as just annoyance with her sister eatting has spread to everyone and to all conceivable body sounds. He rages when he hears these triggers... otherwise, he is sad, withdrawn and exhausted. It breaks a mother's heart when I think of the happy, energetic boy he was at 10.

We did try a psychologist for a while, but I knew she didn't get it. I really believe misaphonia is not just a result of anxiety or an OCD. I believe there is something wrong on the biological level. I am sure you can't "talk yourself out of it". I think too that trying to hide from it with ear phones and background noise can only help so much. The anxiety will just get worse and worse.

Has anyone tried alternative therapy? Accupuncture or homeopathy? I am starting my son on homeopathy next week. We have a good doctor in our city. I have already read books and talked to him about my son. He believes two things - that it is pregenetic meaning that some people are predisposed to developing this at birth AND miasmatic meaning certain toxins may trigger it. Food allergies? Immunizations? Pollution? I am not sure. He thinks with homeopthic care, we should see improvement in 3 - 6 months and hopefully some form of recovery within a year.

I will keep you all posted if you are interested on how it goes. Try to enjoy the things in life that make you happy.

Tracy
TracyDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #105 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyDD View Post
He thinks with homeopthic care, we should see improvement in 3 - 6 months and hopefully some form of recovery within a year.
Just my very biased opinion based on my own education. But I think homeopathy is a waste of money. There may be some placebo benefits but not much else.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #106 (permalink)

Hi Kon,

Just curious - have you or someone you know tried it for sound sensitivity?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #107 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Hi Kon, Just curious - have you or someone you know tried it for sound sensitivity?
No, I'd never try homeopathy for anything. I just have a very "opinionated/biased" view on homeopathy based on my academic background. We had to look at some of the research/evidence for homeopathy. I found the whole concept of homeopathy nothing more than wishful thinking. A lot of the drugs we sell aren't as good as advertised but homeopathy is just "snake-oil". Just my very biased opinion.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #108 (permalink)

I just read two interesting books about Homeopathy - "Beyond Flat Earth" and "The Impossible Cure". They were interesting enough to make me want to give it a go. One problem too is that there are a lot of lay people and doctors practicing Homeopathy who aren't well trained. I got a connection to a doctor who comes highly recommended so, I guess there is nothing to loose... I will keep folks posted if we have any progress!

Has anyone tried any other alternative therapies like an Accupuncturist or Chiropractor?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Everyone -

I am new to this forum. My son has Misaphonia so, I do understand how you all are suffering. He is 12 years old and has had it for about a year now. I kept thinking it would go away, but it has gotten worse and worse. What started out as just annoyance with her sister eatting has spread to everyone and to all conceivable body sounds. He rages when he hears these triggers... otherwise, he is sad, withdrawn and exhausted. It breaks a mother's heart when I think of the happy, energetic boy he was at 10.

We did try a psychologist for a while, but I knew she didn't get it. I really believe misaphonia is not just a result of anxiety or an OCD. I believe there is something wrong on the biological level. I am sure you can't "talk yourself out of it". I think too that trying to hide from it with ear phones and background noise can only help so much. The anxiety will just get worse and worse.
Pat yourself on the back for being a caring a understanding Mother. I wish my Mother was more like you.
Skye Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #110 (permalink)

Do you think your family being musicians help this illness along? Did you grow up around alot of these noises perhaps causing you distress as a young child? "ie. loud music while trying to sleep, watch t.v., being forced to listen to family play music you disliked, hearing the faint sound of music through walls, etc.." Just seemed to stand out that you came from a family with a musical background and find yourself now in the situation you're in.
Emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #111 (permalink)

I read this and it touched me. We all have issues here that are ****ing our life in one way or another. I don't know what to suggest to you though.

Do you like any form of music, or perhaps even speeches on any topic? Put your headphones on and listen to something! Or, ear plugs, or grab those headphones made so you can't hear the noise of a plane in the background.
Jawshy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #112 (permalink)

Thank you all. Music has helped Jack by drowning out the noises he hates. He often wears ear phones in the car or plays classical music at moderate volumes in his room. The big noise around here is Jack's little brother. We are trying to teach him to be a quieter kid, but it has been hard.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #113 (permalink)

A cure? First off, stop making lists of things that bother you. You're just feeding the problem. Okay, now I want to state this very clearly, what I'm gonna say does not make you crazy. I'm about to drop it like it's hot. What you suffer from is your own creation. It's all mental. Drugs will do nothing (unless you have a strong faith that they will, but I'll talk about that another time). If you need more clarification look at everything you've written. 1. problem got worse as you found out what it is. 2. the more you're subjected to certain sounds the more painful they get. Now let me rattle off some that may not have been mentioned yet, but you'll probably associate with. 1. sound doesn't bother you if YOU make it. 2. You'll hear a "POP" and it will bother you, until you discover it wasn't from gum, then you'll feel relaxed. (replace "POP" with any sound you suffer from). 3. The visual hatred of chewing came after a period of hating the sounds made from it. 4. Sometimes or by certain people, you're not affected by the problem, but usually not until after a long time.

There is no imbalance of serotonin. No scar on the brain or bad childhood memory. It's all about the way we think. It's tough to admit it at first, but we are this way because we made ourselves this way. Which brings me back to the cure. You made yourself this way, you can make yourself better. Normal. It's simple and at the same time, it's not.

I'm currently on the path to getting past this. I've lived this way for 2 decades almost. Never really paid attention at first, which is why it wasn't so bad when I was younger. Wasn't until I noticed something was really wrong that things intensified. Which, I'm sure you all can relate. It's a mental result of a physical condition which is called hyperacusis, though I'm not sure that term works for me exactly. I hear loudly, yes, but because physically there are muscles in my ears that don't work, which means sound isn't filtered like with a normal person. so after years of dealing with the loud sounds my brain started reacting in a way it felt was helping. Point is, I realized what caused it and how to fix it. If you want to get better you gotta start with step one. Realize this is your fault. That you caused it and that you can fix it.
kingofhearts30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #114 (permalink)
amg

Default Just found out about Misophonia

Hi Zadra,
Thanks so much for writing about your experiences. Reading stories like yours really helps to explain my similar behaviours/thoughts. I experience INCREDIBLE anger, frustration, hatred, urdges of violence to much the same extent as you have explained. I find it's especially directed towards my sister. Growing up I always felt like I had to moniter her to make sure she wasn't chewing anything, wagging her foot, picking at her teeth, listening to music..or basically doing anything. I would focus all my attention to expecting that she was about to do something to make me explode, and just the thought of her eating or doing anything would make my stomach hurt so badly that I couldn't handle it. Every single day I was forced to eat with my family at the table and every meal I would throw tantrums, then in my room later would kick my walls and scream and bawl. Every night I relived those experiences and screamed and cried all night, with my hands over my ears, not able to sleep. The list is quite extensive for things that make me go wild, and reactions to those things, but after I moved out and was away from those triggers it wasn't so bad. But recently I started feeling those things towards my boyfriend and realized it's not something you can get rid of. Today I finally looked it up after so many years of not understanding where all this rage was coming from and was stunned to learn that misophonia explains it perfectly.
I read your concern that now that you know it is an actual condition, it kind of makes it worse. I'm worried about that too because even though I just found out this morning I can already see myself paying even more attention to things that bug me and thinking about them even more, now that I know it's a condition and not just extreme irritability.
What I do to help the rage is instead of leaving the area (which is what is easier), I make myself hug whoever is making me feel that way (even though I could rip their heads off) and it reminds me that I love them and am hurting them by how I react to their actions.
Sorry for the long message...it does however feel good to know that there are other people with this condition
amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 AM   #115 (permalink)
amg

Default Post Script

I would like to add also, to kingofhearts30, you make alot of sense and have very great suggestions for trying to overcome triggers and things that your mind intensifies. So thank you too.
amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #116 (permalink)

Kon, my older son has SPD (sensory processing disorder) and general anxiety. He was diagnosed in 2008 and is receiving therapy. My younger son seems to have it too, but more mild. I've also seen sensory issues in myself. From what I've read there is a hereditary link.

My older son is an avoider/defensive (hypersensitive) for the most part and my younger son is mostly a seeker (hyposensitive). I often describe it as my older son has his volume up too high, so everything feels too loud, too bright, too much. My younger son has his volume too low, so he needs to go faster, louder, harder to feel anything. He craves those sensations.

My older son would punch someone who lightly brushed by him because to him it felt like an attack. He would scream like he was being stabbed when he got sun in his eyes as a toddler. He would have meltdowns from unexpected loud noises. Now it's normal for me to tell him, "I'm going to turn the vacuum cleaner on now. It's going to be loud." Then he's fine.

My younger son loves big bear hugs, being squished between couch cushions, he likes sitting on my lap and twirling my hair, he prefers to eat all his food with his fingers.

People who are always clumsy probably have SPD. The proprioceptive sense lets us know where we are in space and where your body parts are. I definitely have issues with my proprioceptive sense. I don't quite make it around corners and will bump my shoulder on the wall. About two weeks ago, I just broke our table lamp because I moved my hand to turn it off, but instead bumped the whole lamp over and didn't catch it in time before it smashed on the floor.

I go to this website first for any questions I have: http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

A lot of kids with SPD also have anxiety. Almost all kids/people with autism have SPD, but not all kids/people with SPD have autism.
LynnNBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #117 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnNBoys View Post
Kon, my older son has SPD (sensory processing disorder) and general anxiety.

I go to this website first for any questions I have: http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

A lot of kids with SPD also have anxiety. Almost all kids/people with autism have SPD, but not all kids/people with SPD have autism.
Thanks, That was useful. Unfortunately I have most of the hypersensitivity issues listed on that site and both types of anxiety (SAD and GAD). I might be on the autism spectrum also. Actually my ASD-type traits are my least negative features because of mildness. And I love my obsessions/interests. They give me a lot of pleasure. My sensory issues though are a living nightmare. It makes me not want to be around any people for very long, as eventually I will pick up some sound/action/smell they make that will make me nuts.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #118 (permalink)

This is my first post here, so bare with me...... I just found out today that this exists. I found this thread with a Google search. For 25+ years, I have thought it was just me and I had "issues". Although I hate to hear others deal with this too, it makes me feel better that it is not just me..... I cannot stand to hear eating noises, crunching noises (like someone chewing ice), sipping noises, heavy breathing, fingernails clanked together, keys or change being rustled in someone's pocket, dragging feet - the list could go on and on and on. I visualize harming or killing people that make these noises (although if I make the noise it doesn't bother me???). I feel like I could just explode sometimes! It makes me feel horrible when I actually end up saying something to the offender because I cam be rather ugly about it....... I will be back tomorrow to read and post more - rather tired and ready for bed now. Just wanted to say hello.
POSTAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Well.... I've gotten into physical fights with strangers over noises being made. I've made enemies out of friends. I've failed classes and dropped them. I've intentionally hurt myself, broken walls and furniture, and ripped out chunks of my hair. I was even dragged to a mental institution due to an unstoppable rage triggered by my father's bass playing. I cannot contain my violent outbursts when it comes to trigger sounds. If I cannot escape them, I explode. I hurt people that I care about, too. It's horrible.
I am not very familiar with this disorder but it sounds very neurological. Have you ever seen a neurologist about it? It sounds like you are going to psychiatrists and psychologists, but for something like this it sounds like there is a legit physiological brain response going on. Perhaps you could make an appointment with one, if they are not familiar with the disorder then perhaps they can direct you to someone who is. Sometimes there are research trials going on for new cutting edge therapies/medications that you can take part it. So my last question, if you have this disorder, of all things, why does your dad still play the bass in the house? Sounds crazy on his part.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #120 (permalink)

I know I'm young, but I have had misophonia for ten years. I have tried anything and would pay anything for a cure. I fear school to thecpoint where the thought of going makes me deathly depressed. I have though many times about dieing or damaging my hearing. I listen to loud music because it makes everything better. My mom keeps telling me that I'm antisocial. I agree with her. I wish I didn't have to live in a world of fear and pain. I feel so different than everyone else. I know I can't die yet. There is too many people who love me and I love back. Someday I will be gone and most likely from this. My friends and family know I have this and they know how it affects me, but thats it.
BriannaHug is offline   Reply With Quote