X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 06-12-2007, 06:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Life long depression

While I have gotten over major depression, I remain depressed. I believe this is gonna be another life sentence, doomed to be depressed for as long as I walk this earth. The only way Im ever able to feel happy is through drugs, sad.

Anyone else serving a life sentence?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think you're depressed because you're always alone. But as a boy with SAD I don't think you can get friends easily...I understand that.
People with SAD are always depressed, just like you.

But you can always change your fate. You're still young you got a lot of time more to improve yourself.

Don't depend on drugs to feel happy. I think its alright for people like us to abuse drugs once in a while ( because we may suicide without drugs). Even I did drugs before. But don't depend on them too much....in other words don't be a druggy. You don't wanna die because of drugs...that's real sad.

Honestly, although I've SAD, I can say I enjoy my life pretty much. Cheer up bro.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

Default re: Life long depression

i used to think the same way. then i found out that my depression was caused by being isolated from people. the problem there is that im too depressed to want to be around people

Countdown to Christmas!!
http://www.xmasclock.com/
nubly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Life long depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
While I have gotten over major depression, I remain depressed. I believe this is gonna be another life sentence, doomed to be depressed for as long as I walk this earth. The only way Im ever able to feel happy is through drugs, sad.

I know what you mean to a certain extent. Suffering is part of the human condition, and I'm doing a fairly good job of minimizing it in my life, thanks to medicine and thinking better.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've suffered from major depression for 16 years and it does feel like a life sentence. I don't know when mine will ever go away.
nesteroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nae

I've gotten over the majority of my depression thanks to drugs and I am still unhappy/suffer from a low mood. I attribute this to lacking fulfillment in my life professionally and socially. Freud said two things a person needs to feel content is 1)Love. Not in the traditional sense of the self, or of a significant other, but love stemming from being a part of a society. 2) Work. Not as in the simple sense of a 9-5 job, but as in goals, hobbies, things we work towards. Passions.

Medication is a great tool but it is no cure for fundamental problems in one's life. Perhaps you can figure out what it is that is causing you to feel this way and perhaps from there figure out some solutions.
Nae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Re: Life long depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca

Dude, you're a crab..we are prone to depression
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm depressed from being isolated from people. Nothing will change the rest of this year either. It's been like this for a long time and it is really wearing on me. Nothing makes me happy anymore.
daaaaave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah, but i dont think itll stay like this...i wont be like this forever

Sig Status: God Level
inna sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

No, it won't last forever. Unfortunately it might last as long as we're alive, which is almost as bad....

Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I won't feel this way forever. I've been depressed since I was 12. At 14-16 it was at max. 16-21 it was medium to high. At 21 I hit the meds through desperation. On and off meds times between 21-28 have seen some awesome times and some black as s**t times (At 23 we are talking suicidal, thats when CBT made the major changes that have probably kept me alive). I think I have enough of the keys now to break down the door once and for all.

Depression. Its not going to happen for much longer, and it can take its brother anxiety the f*** with it.

Ross
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Re: re: Life long depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumaro
i used to think the same way. then i found out that my depression was caused by being isolated from people. the problem there is that im too depressed to want to be around people
thats exactly how iam

This time shall soon pass atleast i hope so anyway
feelingblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Still, I hope you take comfort from the fact that there are people on these boards that have been exactly where you are, sometimes many times over, and have found that taking action to overcome their problems is the surest route to feeling better.

They would tell you that its painful at first because you have to work through all that inertia and fear, but then it gives way to something else. The initial pain is worth the relief that comes later.

Overcoming SA and depression is about facing fear. It takes courage and persistence to overcome it - but to me thats something SA sufferers possess in spades.

Ross
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae
I've gotten over the majority of my depression thanks to drugs and I am still unhappy/suffer from a low mood. I attribute this to lacking fulfillment in my life professionally and socially. Freud said two things a person needs to feel content is 1)Love. Not in the traditional sense of the self, or of a significant other, but love stemming from being a part of a society. 2) Work. Not as in the simple sense of a 9-5 job, but as in goals, hobbies, things we work towards. Passions.

Medication is a great tool but it is no cure for fundamental problems in one's life. Perhaps you can figure out what it is that is causing you to feel this way and perhaps from there figure out some solutions.
Good post. I have neither "love" nor "work" and the enormity of my problem has really been hitting me lately. I just don't know what to do. I don't have the motivation or energy to fix myself and I'm such a procrastinator that I don't know if I'll ever get around to really focusing on my problems. I'm particularly depressed today because it's the seventh anniversary of me being at my low-paying, part-time job. Procrastination (aka laziness) and lack of ambition has kept me at this job for such a long time that I'm severely depressed over it. I'm starting to panic that my life will never be good and I'm filled with regret over all the years I've let slip by.

I now have a new roster of ten paid vacation days and I'm going to take all of next week off and am hoping to get the motivation to overcome my fears and schedule a job interview. But most likely I won't because I'm such a procrastinator. I don't want to take medicine but if I keep going down this hole I might have no alternative. I've heard so many bad things about medication and I don't want to put myself through it. I'm just a mess.
IcedOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedOver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae

Good post. I have neither "love" nor "work" and the enormity of my problem has really been hitting me lately. I just don't know what to do. I don't have the motivation or energy to fix myself and I'm such a procrastinator that I don't know if I'll ever get around to really focusing on my problems. I'm particularly depressed today because it's the seventh anniversary of me being at my low-paying, part-time job. Procrastination (aka laziness) and lack of ambition has kept me at this job for such a long time that I'm severely depressed over it. I'm starting to panic that my life will never be good and I'm filled with regret over all the years I've let slip by.

I now have a new roster of ten paid vacation days and I'm going to take all of next week off and am hoping to get the motivation to overcome my fears and schedule a job interview. But most likely I won't because I'm such a procrastinator. I don't want to take medicine but if I keep going down this hole I might have no alternative. I've heard so many bad things about medication and I don't want to put myself through it. I'm just a mess.
Freud also related everything back to the penis. I am not tempted to get too down on the basis of stuff he said.

Yup I'm a behaviourist - I wear my colours proudly. That and I had Fruedian psychotheray for 6 months and I have never felt worse in my life. CBT on the other hand, well positive and groovy are the words that spring to mind.

Good beard though.

IcedOver - you are in a pit of hopelessness and thats not a good place to be. Hard as it may seem, you need a doc, not a good wallow-post in a pool of melancholy. If I were a relative of yours I would ask you to pick up the phone to the doc. If you said "I can't" I would administer tough love and say "well you're going to" and refuse to give in to your immobility- cos sometimes when youre that low you don't have a clue whats good for you.

Not being cruel - but I think sympathy is the last thing that you need.

Ross