X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Laziness/No Desire

I have social anxiety, badly. I have to be careful what I read, watch, because the tiniest of things will give me panic attacks. But that is all a story for another day; maybe a long whiny post in the future.

But along with it, I think I also suffer from depression, of some sort. At several times (some days more/less than others) everyday I get a feeling of hopelessness, which is worse on some days.

But also, I have no desire/am lazy. I hardly ever do my work for college, even though I know I should, and might not even dread it that much, I just feel really physically unable to get all my stuff out of my bag and do it.

Also, in the past, I have started projects, done lots of work on them, and then just stopped, because I lost interest/desire. I joined a group, once, but along with too much anxiety before/during going there, I stopped, probably because I as lazy, also.

This may sound silly, but in the past, I had plans, I had planned a whole entire video game, with the character having SA, but, I never made it past the intro. I enjoyed doing it, but I just lost the desire, like with everything else.

I do have some dreams, not too many, and not too glamorous, but I sometimes think, even if I had more desire, I could be even a small step closer to being able to seek help for everything.

I also have a very loose plan, or sometimes even imaginations, of ways to get over my anxiety, but they are merely visions, and probably would not even work.

If only I at least had more desire, if still having all of these other problems...
UnknownBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Laziness/No Desire

One of the main symptoms of depression is loss of desire to do things that you enjoy doing so it's really not surprising that you're feeling this way. I go through the very same things... starting things, making plans and then, having no/little desire to follow through.

~Def Leppard~
leppardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I know the feeling. I am generally kind of lazy to begin with, but pile depression on and I become a log.
njodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

^ Exactly. Though, I have been out of the bed for a few days now so that's a big achievement on it's own.
Though I'm beyond belief
In the help I require
Just to exist at all
Took a long time to stand
Took an hour to fall

Elliott Smith
Razorblade Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I usually have no desire for big projects around the house. I want to do it I just don't have the motivation. I do the yard now and then.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Me too, I'm a massive procrastinator. I should be doing some reading right now, but instead I'm on the internet AGAIN.
Even if it's something I really want to do, whenever I sit down to try and do it, I get this massive feeling of... not anxiety, not boredom, but something else. It's as if putting my mind to something is too much emotional effort and before I've even started I'm exhausted. To try to get out of the habit of doing nothing I've started forcing myself to do things that I've lost interest in, in the hope that they'll start coming more naturally.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
march_hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pretty much the same way. I consider myself depressed as well as being lazy. Social anxiety, depression, laziness - I think one problem effects the other. At least I hope thats the case with my laziness. But at least your in college UnknownBlue, hope you stick with it!

Neat idea on the videogame too. I still think there needs to be a definitive movie about social anxiety.
The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just get this weird exhaustion/anxiety feeling when it comes to getting stuff done. It's so ridiculous when a person can't even pick up their clothes. I just don't care about anything, and school is the worst. I graduated high school in 2003 and I still only have enough university credits to qualify as a second year student.
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pita
I just get this weird exhaustion/anxiety feeling when it comes to getting stuff done. It's so ridiculous when a person can't even pick up their clothes. I just don't care about anything, and school is the worst. I graduated high school in 2003 and I still only have enough university credits to qualify as a second year student.
I get that same exact feeling, or at least it sure sounds like I do. It's ****ing frustrating when the smallest task seems beyond you for no good reason at all.
Broshious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is one of my biggest issues. My room is a complete disaster and although I notice it, its like I have a willed blindness that allows me to exist in a mess without feeling like I have to clean it. Studying sometimes feels almost out of the question, the most I can muster is to look over a few pages of notes or read a few paragraphs out of a textbook. The bigger problem is that this carries over into more serious issues like my lack of motivation to get a job or improve my general disposition as long as I am being supported.

It's a strange feeling to really want to do something mentally and yet feel like its not worth the effort at the exact same moment.
Scattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Depression and anxiety suck. Especially when it comes to things like making decisions. Even the smallest of things I agonize over... and then when I do make a decision, I regret having made it. It makes me feel like I'm never going to progress in life.

Honestly, though, my decision to make a doctor's appointment, get an actual diagnosis/cognitive therapy/medication after 5 years of unsuccessful, painfully drawn out "psychodynamic" therapy has probably been the best thing I've done for myself so far. Next week I will start getting the answers I know I've deserved for years.

I was 17 when I first told my parents I thought I had SAD. My dad's reaction was sarcastic: "Just what we need... another hypochondriac in the family." He was referring to my aunt, my mom's adopted sister, who suffers from an anxiety disorder as well. Well, Dad, sorry, but I was right. I think I know my own mind better than anyone else. I just need to convince my GP that I need help... cause I know I do. I've needed some real help for a long time and am feeling determined enough to get it. Cause when life gets unbearable enough, that's also when you are most motivated to get help.
Sierra83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Gee, that sums up pretty much how I feel. Sad (but good) thing is, I have 2 kids that I have to take care of. My ex has them approx half of the week as do I, which works out well because he has major depressive disorder as well as other diagnoses. I have a really hard time getting the energy to do kid outings etc, but I guess it's good that I'm forced to get up and do "something". I am also forced to go to work that actually when I get there I feel better because I'm around friends that know me and that I feel comfortable with.

You should see the train wreck that is my house! I really avoid letting anyone in, it's so messy. And the yard looks terrible. Wish I'd gotten a townhome with outside maintenance provided. I'm hoping the trial of meds will eventually find me something that will turn this all around. I'm innately a bit lazy and messy, but it's gotten worse lately.

Hope things look up for you sooner than later!

As confused as a baby in a topless bar.
Buckbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

I might recommend giving Modafinil a try as I've taken it and it definitely gives one the energy to get up and get goin'.
Broshious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broshious
I might recommend giving Modafinil a try as I've taken it and it definitely gives one the energy to get up and get goin'.
Yes, they use that on the stroke unit where I work for post-stroke patients to get them past the grogginess they often have so they can start rehab.

As confused as a baby in a topless bar.
Buckbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have this problem.

I drink horribly excessive amounts of caffine, and that hardly works. I hate it.
Fanciful Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
se7

I'm the same. I just can't be bothered to do anything. It's easier to just sit on the pc all day. Today I was meant to phone my temp agency, like I was meant to every day the past two weeks. If I don't do it this week, then I won't be working somewhere next week either. And it will go on and on..