Originally Posted by sparky10
I still think i have aspects of both yet i have no problems understanding people, understanding social rules. How would sensory input be described and processing difficulties manifest themselves?
Asperger's tend to notice and pay attention to a lot of details in their surroundings and social stuff is very difficult when you think about it. I'm not sure if this an Aspie or a SAD thing but here's my problem with a dealing with a simple hug or kiss:
1. Am I supposed to hug this person?
2. When should I hug them or kiss them?
3. Am I supposed to use both hands or 1 hand?
4. Am I supposed to go on the left side or right side?
5. Do I kiss both sides or just one?
6. Should I actually touch them or just pretend to touch them with my lips?
7. They kinda smell. I don't feel like going near them. Will they get offended?
8. Why do we have to do these stupid things, it's so damn confusing?
9. I can tell I look clumsy, why do others look so natural at it?
This stuff goes around in my mind all the time and makes me anxious when I have to go to weddings, funerals, baptisms, parties, etc. Also, I'm never sure what I'm supposed to say and then I have to watch that I don't say something that they might find offensive, etc. I hate formal socializations because the rules are very difficult to pick up. They seem to be a bit "fake" and/or artificial. I also hate not being able to swear or use "bad" words. I often get adults who are much younger than me tell me to watch my language, in front of kids, etc. I was always considered socially inept by my friends. I assumed that this was SAD but the distinction between SAD and Asperger's-related social anxiety seems like a very difficult one for me to differentiate. Maybe someone else can shed some light. I kinda go and forth from this forum and some Aspie forums and despite reading tons of stuff on it, it still seems very difficult to tell the difference. Maybe it's simple and I can't understand it. I'm not sure?