X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I smell from nervous sweating

Apparently when I get really nervous, I get hot and sweat. And even if I just showered and applied anti-perspirant, I still end up smelling within an hour or two. I smell worse from anxiety than I do from physical activity. I've tried different soaps and anti-perspirants. Heck, I've tried both men and women's anti-perspirants hoping it would have something to do with the pH. I've tried eating healthy and eating unhealthy and that doesn't make a difference either. This odor makes me very self-concious. I think it's coming from my armpit area, but I can't be certain. What I do know is that men's heavily scented anti-perspirants work the best. Anything that has a baby powder scent makes me smell awful.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd like to find a solution.
lilblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the same problem.
I go for the 24 hr one and it does help. Maybe Gold Bond on top of it would work, too.

Paxil makes me sweat, too.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know if I have this problem or not, but I found that the best thing for me was this line that Old spice makes. It's an antiperspirant and deodorant. It's in an off white container, part of their "Fresh Collection". I find that a deodorant still leaves me sweating a lot and I gets smelly anyways, and just the antiperspirant would mean that once it started wearing off near the end of the day I'd get smelly quick. Best of both worlds, lasts all day from what I can see.
GunnyHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Try sodium bicarbonate as a deodorant. Dab it on your underarms after a shower. People usually laugh at me when I tell them that - but it works wonders! Since using it I've never had BO, and it saves a lot of money. Works on feet too :-)

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
march_hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Fear-sweat smells much worse than regular sweat; I never found a way to completely mask it. Baking soda works to an extent. I pretty much just bring a spare shirt when I know it's going to be a scary day.
"I can't say."

A Tale of Two Cities
Addler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default I kind of have this problem too

Im my case, I think (unless my brain is screwing with me) it's coming from my feet although my wife doesn't seem to think so. It's worse when I'm in a stressful situation.

Have you looked at the possibility of it being caused by diet? This may help you
http://healthmeup.com/photogallery-h...ody-odour/6665

It didn't seem to work much for me (still looking for solution everywhere). Although eating kiwi fruit or juice seems to have eased up the odor a bit.

If the odor is indeed coming from your feet (combination of sweaty feet and your everyday stinky shoes which contain lots of bacteria), you might want to look into reducing sweat production from your feet. There are several products out there but I've had mixed success as well (e.g. those with alum and zinc).

This is a good place to start, but I think it's not enough with extreme cases of sweating (hyperhidrosis)
http://www.ehow.com/how_5126699_redu...at.html#page=0
http://www.stinkyfeetinfo.com/
jasonciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hate anxiety sweating,i've found the answer to underarm sweating is the stick deodorant for me,it blocks the sweat glands completely.
Still get facial sweating tho but aside from carrying a handkerchief there's not much i can do.
In a Lonely Place is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Arrid Extra Dry clear gel works exceptionally well to mask odor. The only one I've found that works 100%. Every other deodorant would leave me smelling musky after sweating.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nervous sweating used to be a huge problem for me. I feel for you, it's humiliating. I had to wear black shirts all the time ( I already wear black a lot out of preference, so not a big deal ). The sweating just suddenly stopped out of nowhere for some reason though. I hope it doesn't come back.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have the same problem... Anxiety sweat is horrible. I bring a change of shirt / top.. otherwise felt sticky and uncomfortable all day.. Recently I've heard of some kind of pads you can put in your armpits. sounds kinda strange, who knows might work? I'd like to try the sodium bicarbonate..
TrueColor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by march_hare View Post
Try sodium bicarbonate as a deodorant. Dab it on your underarms after a shower. People usually laugh at me when I tell them that - but it works wonders! Since using it I've never had BO, and it saves a lot of money. Works on feet too :-)
Where do I look for this in a grocery store? I hate asking employees for help finding something
always starting over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by always starting over View Post
Where do I look for this in a grocery store? I hate asking employees for help finding something
Look in the home baking area... it's commonly labelled as 'baking soda'. If you see baking powder , that is something a bit different, it contains sodium bicarb, but along with some other ingredients like wheat starch.

If you can't find it in home baking, check cleaning products. I think in the US Arm & Hammer sometimes market it as a household cleaning/deodorising product.
If you still don't have any luck, look in your local pharmacy/chemist/drug store. It will be sold alongside products that treat digestion problems like antacids.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
march_hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

I get real sweaty palms when Im in social situations and its embarrasing if I have to shake someones hand. I also get a little underarm sweat. I havent really found a cure for this.
6 Speed is offline   Reply With Quote