X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Highly Sensitive Person

I am a HSP and i have seen that several others here are too.
I don't know if SAD and HSP are related but i believe so.
I am deeply affected by many, many things: from loud noises to someone's dead (i didn't react "very well" when my grandfather died, even if i wasn't very close to him). Not to mention my passion for music.
I was kind of ashamed of being a HSP, now i can embrace it and accept it.
Are you a HSP? What kinds of things have affected you?

- Fyodor Dostoevsky Notes From The Underground

"Lifeguard, save me from life
Save me from life
Save me from life
Save from the ails, or the ills
And from other things...

- Morrissey Lifeguard On Duty

"I lose my voice i know
but i've nothing left to say
nothing left to pray
no echo in this place... "

- Deerhunter Agoraphobia
max87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Trust issues.
Bloody Pit Of Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

My mom repeated a joke of Bill Cosby's: "I brought you into this world + I can take you out" and I cried...
nessersqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I am one too. Not quite embracing it though! My therapist gave me an opening to quit attending and my eyes started watering! I had been wanting to stop going but I was like OMGSH MY THERAPIST DUMPED ME

Also loud noises eeep
Cashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Used to be HSP, but not as bad anymore. I guess I desensitized myself to most horrible things that are said to me. I may not have used positive coping strategies, I just accepted the horrible things that were said to me, so it didn't bother me and I didn't have to argue about it.
Syndacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Personally Im very sceptical about this HSP thing. I know many psychologists don't acknowledge the condition and to me most of these symptoms can be explained in other terms or by other conditions.

Still I suppose if it helps you to think in those terms then by all means go ahead.
UKPhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am a highly sensitive person, whether it's a recognised/acknowledged condition or not... cos I'm a person... who is highly sensitive, heh heh. But in all seriousness, I think maybe it is a personality trait for some, a condition for others, symptoms of some other condition for yet others, or even side effects of meds! So many possible reasons with similar results.

It's wierd, the thing that I'm the most sensitive to, (there's heaps), is upsetting others, putting them out, getting in their way, not living up to expectations, etc. If anyone I know gives me the slightest indication that I have done anything like that, I get abnormally upset/distressed/anxious. Then GUILTY!! Then it causes me to avoid social contact so I don't do it/feel it again, but the funny thing is, avoidance can CAUSE them to be upset! So it's a real vicious circle for me.
honeybee131275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

me too! the thing I am most sensitive/anxious about is upsetting others
Osmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not a HSP myself, but I did visit a highly praised psychologist once, and she told me that those who are Highly Sensitive will by nature experience social anxiety.
Brennenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee131275 View Post
It's wierd, the thing that I'm the most sensitive to, (there's heaps), is upsetting others, putting them out, getting in their way, not living up to expectations, etc. If anyone I know gives me the slightest indication that I have done anything like that, I get abnormally upset/distressed/anxious. Then GUILTY!! Then it causes me to avoid social contact so I don't do it/feel it again, but the funny thing is, avoidance can CAUSE them to be upset! So it's a real vicious circle for me.
this sounds exactly like me.
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

As a highly sensitive person myself, I expperience agoraphobia and anxiety. I'm even sensitive whenever someone teases me in a joking frinedly kind of way. I have no idea why but it offends me so much. Also when babies cry. It gets on my nerves. I hope I don't sound b*tchy from what I just posted.
Farideh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

My councelor told me I might be an HSP. She had me take the personality tests which came out to be like Intuitive smth.. and that might be realted to HSP.

I have given this thought many times since I seem to be more alert then most people. For example when I have walked through forest with a group I am the one that will spot a deer in the bush and point it out to others. It is rare that people point things out to me. WIth that I thought that like with any animal group there are more sensitive types that might even be used as the watch guards for groups. Its biologically sound idea.. maybe.
On the other end, what if HSP was produced by my parents that are crazy and I contantly had to be wary of my environment. Which then set off my amygala, and whatever other nerves to be always on high alert. My nerves are vertainly sensitized from too much life drama, that is a biological fact.
I am not sure what it really is. I am not that into labels, but then maybe they help to make ourselves feel good when we find out who we are and are cool with it.

My favorite is that my councelor thinks HSP are more evolved people. we just get it on a whooole another level. Kinda cool
katkat2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah... I'm tired of being sensitive. There's no benefit in my family with my luck in this world...

I just remembered something stupid I cried about when I was really young... hard to believe I didn't figure it out sooner.
Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every aspect of life, be it something to wear, something to eat, it's all been wrong.
minimized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

YES!I am HSP basically anything sets me off and i believe SA caused ti cuz i was never this sensative until my sa got worse
nikki1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is totally me. I'm sensitive to peoples emotions, any kind of change I will react. Sometimes even in movies where a really sad part comes on I feel a urge to cry. Anything effects me.
meganmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

I think there is a definite link between SA and high sensitivity. However, I don't think it's direct. I don't believe that being sensitive guarantees that you will develop an anxiety disorder. However, it probably makes it more likely.

I would probably be considered highly sensitive. I seem to feel stronger emotions than other people (although this is hard to know for sure). I have never ridiculed, bullied, or intentionally hurt anyone in my life because causing pain to other people is extremely painful to me. I dislike the visual chaos of clutter. I can't stand loud noises/music for more than a short time. I have a very low tolerance for physical pain. I am also very passionate about music, and love singing.

Being a highly sensitive person certainly has its disadvantages, especially in the modern world. I've been somewhat criticized for my sensitivity, and that's after I hide most of my emotions. I feel everyone would reject me if they knew how excessively emotional I was .
Shrinking Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think I'm ridiculously sensitive. People always tell me so. I've stopped watching movies for a few years now, because the drama thing always upsets me. I guess I've also eliminated social life for the same reason.
Slimeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yep, I've been that way for years. If I get upset by my family I have to go to my room to calm down. My parents call it pouting, that has alway hurt too. I've always wondered why I'm like this.
TheQuietGirl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Brick Tamland is definitely an HSP

But back on topic, I do think I have HSP symptoms, although I don't think I'm full-blown in that regard. Loud noises can startle me, I tend to hate when people sneak up behind me without me noticing, and I'm not very good at taking criticism/judgment from other people. Definitely linked to my SAD.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think I am. Just today something really weird happened while I was with a friend at a coffee shop. The guy working there said to me why are you staring at me?! but I wasn’t, I was just ordering. It was such an out of place thing to say and so rude even though he said it with a smile but still I guess If I’m writing about it now it’s because it really bothered me.
bluec91 is offline   Reply With Quote