X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default forgetting things mid-sentence

Don't know if anyone has this but when I am talking sometimes I become unable to follow up the rest of my sentences because I forget what I wanted to say so in order to avoid the weird silence of trying to remember the rest I just make up something related and it all comes out weird making me feel like an idiot, sometimes I change the subject abruptly which throws people off. It's not that I am not paying attention to what I want to say because I tend to analyze my thoughts very well, sometimes I feel like I need to repeat things in my head almost to the point of memorizing whole sentences out of fear of losing focus. Sometimes my conversations don't feel natural or fluid. Anxiety worsens this but even when I am comfortable it happens, it is really bothersome. I am not sure if this would labeled as a speech disorder.
Bouffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Anxiety does affect memory and concentration. I do the same and end up trying to describe things as can't remember the word or name, or just not finishing.
shychick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Same here. I often forget what I was thinking just a second ago.

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I do this also. This is a part of my ADHD as well as SA. I find that practicing mindfulness helps. Mindfulness is being present in the moment. I am very random and say random things also.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm so forgetful that I'd forget my arms somewhere if they weren't stuck to my body. I even forget what I want to do from one moment to the next. Then I'll remember it like a week later when it's completely irrelevant.

And yeah. I get stuck in mid-sentence all the time. I get stuck on words. Sometimes I have to stop and really think because I know what I want to say but can't think of the words for it. So I just stand there looking stupid and stuttering and stammering.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

First time poster here.

I'm going through the exact same thing, where I'll be talking to someone, and completely forget what I was trying to say. Then to cover it up, I'll change the topic or end the conversation quickly without it making any sense.

It's affecting my work a bit because I'm unable to explain things properly to people, or I'm not about to argue my opinion or explain my ideas properly.

When I think things through in my head, everything makes absolute perfect sense. But the moment I speak, I'm not able to articulate myself correctly. It's like my brain stops working as soon as I start speaking.
kraigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I forget mid-scentence too...but I think partly that's because I'm always trying to be more articulate and use less crutch words when I'm talking to someone new. I keep thinking "ok, I'm talking to someone ew so I have to articulate" ....when I try to talk to strangers, I imagine I'm a celebrity being interviewed on a talk show or something.... and I guess the pressure makes me forget what I'm trying to say.
arntk519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
dax

Yah, same problems. Hate it. Sucks at work the most.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

hey i have the exact same problem!!!!! omg i've been wondering for sooo long what was wrong with me. im glad im not the only one with this problem. i mean im glad i dont have to carry this burden on my own. While i was reading a book on ADD it mentioned briefly about other learning disorders and one thing mentioned was expressive language disorder, aphasia is another i dont know i dont think i had this problem when i was a kid but starting from high school which was like the same time my social anxiety started getting real bad is when i started forgetting what i was going to say mid sentence. i believe this problem has really really made my social anxiety a lot worse i know im not stupid but constantly not being able to express oneself thoroughly has given me serious doubts and is a reason why i dont talk to much and uh not socializing and talking much i believe (not a professionals opinion i still need to see a shrink) made my SAD worse. if anybody knows anything or has a idea a guess please post the answer. i hope its not something seriously bad like a sign of Alzheimer's.
slkjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

oh yea and exactly as Bouffon mentions it the problem happens to me EVEN when i am not under ANY type of pressure
slkjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shychick2 View Post
I do the same and end up trying to describe things as can't remember the word or name, or just not finishing.
I do this. The right word does won't come to me and I also end up trying to describe what it is i'm trying to say. I think the more you try to think of the right words, the more anxious you get, and the less likely you are to remember it.

I also trail off mid-sentence because i'm not confident in what I am saying, and don't think the other person is really interested. People must find this really annoying, but its a bad habit i've picked up over the years.
lastofthekews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

I do that often, especially when nervous. It sucks when you're talking to people and they look at you weird because you've completely derailed with your thoughts. On the other hand, sometimes it's funny to me. My boyfriend helps me to laugh at myself by turning it into a joke. Otherwise, it's just too embarrassing.
Jumplittlelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

The writers of 'The Sopranos' have this issue as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have the same problem. People end up finishing my sentences for me half the time because I can't even finish my own. I'll start saying something and then my train of thought will kind of die and there will be an awkward silence until they finish it off for me.
layitontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkjao View Post
oh yea and exactly as Bouffon mentions it the problem happens to me EVEN when i am not under ANY type of pressure
Yes, even when I'm relaxed, I have a strange problem where I can say the whole sentence up to the last word. Weird but true.
epril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Crazy View Post
The writers of 'The Sopranos' have this issue as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastofthekews View Post
I do this. The right word does won't come to me and I also end up trying to describe what it is i'm trying to say. I think the more you try to think of the right words, the more anxious you get, and the less likely you are to remember it.

I also trail off mid-sentence because i'm not confident in what I am saying, and don't think the other person is really interested. People must find this really annoying, but its a bad habit i've picked up over the years.
In a college English class, where of course I never talked, I wrote a paper and received an A, with 'see me' written at the bottom. I saw the teacher, she asked me if I had written the essay on my own! I was humiliated then, but now, I think I should have reported her.

My point is that I can write quite easily, but I can't talk worth beans.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

This happens to me too.

I think my smoking has at least a little to do with it in addition to anxiety. I've heard that smoking causes people to speak less clearly. I tend to mumble a lot and abandon sentences when they don't turn out right. I jumble up what I'm saying a lot too because I change the sentence structure once it's too late.

I also feel like I'm more articulate in writing than in speech. I think it's because since we speak less than most people, most of our communication is built upon being able to visually see what we are saying as we're saying it.

As far as speakings goes, it helps a little to try and think about what you're going to say beforehand. If you're analytical, you'll have the urge to want to sculpt a perfect sentence but it'll be a lot easier if you just let it happen the way it happens.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epril View Post
In a college English class, where of course I never talked, I wrote a paper and received an A, with 'see me' written at the bottom. I saw the teacher, she asked me if I had written the essay on my own! I was humiliated then, but now, I think I should have reported her.

My point is that I can write quite easily, but I can't talk worth beans.
I experience this quite often as well. Last year one of my managers read an email from me, a project proposal, and he didn't think that it was me who wrote it. He was surprised that the content of the email was so easy to read and understand, whereas I can never express myself that clearly when I'm talking, so in his mind someone else must've wrote that email for me.

He then went on to say that I express myself so much more clearly in writing that I do when I talk. I couldn't disagree with him on that point. But I'm trying to work on that.
kraigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

My point is that I can write quite easily, but I can't talk worth beans.[/QUOTE]

This is the same for me. I had an A average while studying and remarks about how well written my essays were, but I have not got the ability to speak the words that enter my mind. Or it even seems as though my mind goes blank on me. So many times, in relationships I have not been able to speak my thoughts or emotions, so I have had to write my thoughts out for the person in question, and then the words just flow.

It is as though my mind is disconnected from my mouth.

Quite often I will forget a word and stop mid-sentence trying for the life of me to think what the word is, whilst getting weird looks from the person I am talking to. I also notice that I will talk normally for a bit and then slow right down as I try to think of the words, which doesn't make for a great conversation either. It makes me feel like a bumbling idiot.

I can remember even as a child having this loss of words problem sometimes, especially when having to talk about my emotions. My mother would question me on something personal or slightly uncomfortable and I would not be able to speak. It was as though I had a physical condition that made it impossible for me to speak, while on the inside I would be screaming the answer over and over, but it just wouldn't come out. Problem was, that my mother was not a patient woman and would get angry at me for not answering, I'm sure it could have been coaxed out of me gently and creatively. Perhaps this is where my anxiety stems from? I think it has something to do with it. (poor Mum, gets all the blame!!!)
Vitruvia is offline   Reply With Quote