X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeling extremely depressed at night time?

Hi,

I have clinical depression so I'm depressed pretty much all the time, but I feel so much worse at night. I feel super lonely and hopeless.

I stay up until around 2 to 4 a.m. and wake up around 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. I would like to have a more normal sleep schedule, but for some reason I feel the need to stay up late, even though it makes me depressed that night and then when I can't wake up early the next day. But at the same time, if I go to bed early, I get depressed that I'm not staying up late.

Does anyone else feel this way?

What could I do? I know I should probably just go to sleep early, but I don't know how I'll be able to.
twinklebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used to feel that exact way quite often when I had depression. What do you tend to do when you're staying up? I always went online till early morning and that made me more depressed than if I read during the night or got things done like tidying up a bit, because I felt like at least I was getting something done.

Do you know why you get depressed that you're not staying up late if you go to bed early? For me it was that I felt terrible doing nothing while waiting to get to sleep, and it took me a long time to get to sleep because of bad sleep habits. If you improved your sleep habits you would get to sleep more quickly and that would be less of a problem (if that is a problem for you). You could try doing things like making sure you're not hungry before bed, trying to wake up before noon, not sleeping throughout the day, not using a laptop in bed, and not watching tv or using the internet in the hour before you go to bed.

I'm not sure about this, but it might be a good idea to make sure you eat healthily throughout the night too, since if you wake up at 3pm you might not be getting enough meals throughout the day and that would be contributing to your depression, and lack of energy if you have that too.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just go on really long walks until my feet have blisters and my toes start cramping, then I head home and have the best nights sleep anyone has ever had.

All that fresh air, combined with being around people, heavy traffic and society for a few hours, it really drains me.

As opposed to going to the gym (which I do sometimes)...the gym is good excersize but doesn't really push boundaries as far as SA is concerned.
NatureFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default feeling worse at night

i used to get this a lot from having little to focus on at night while not being tired enough to sleep. my darkest moods were usually at night/early hours.

going to the gym helped, as well as generally helping ur mental health its also easier to get to sleep. also, i sometimes take otc sleeping tablets (doxylamine) or magnesium, also i play videogames that focus my mind until i'm falling asleep, also sometimes relaxing audiobooks like alan bennetts reading of wind in the willows once im in bed, i tried listening to comedy audio books in bed but they just ended up keeping me awake cos they were too funny lol
upndownboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake View Post
I used to feel that exact way quite often when I had depression. What do you tend to do when you're staying up? I always went online till early morning and that made me more depressed than if I read during the night or got things done like tidying up a bit, because I felt like at least I was getting something done.

Do you know why you get depressed that you're not staying up late if you go to bed early? For me it was that I felt terrible doing nothing while waiting to get to sleep, and it took me a long time to get to sleep because of bad sleep habits. If you improved your sleep habits you would get to sleep more quickly and that would be less of a problem (if that is a problem for you). You could try doing things like making sure you're not hungry before bed, trying to wake up before noon, not sleeping throughout the day, not using a laptop in bed, and not watching tv or using the internet in the hour before you go to bed.

I'm not sure about this, but it might be a good idea to make sure you eat healthily throughout the night too, since if you wake up at 3pm you might not be getting enough meals throughout the day and that would be contributing to your depression, and lack of energy if you have that too.
Thanks for replying and sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!

I usually just watch TV, use the internet, eat, or other things like that when I stay up.

I think the reason I feel depressed when I don't stay up late is that I feel my day was unsuccessful, like I'm unsatisfied with what my day was like, because I woke up late so my day was short, and/or I did nothing. And I actually don't have trouble falling asleep, as odd as tht may seem. I choose to stay awake -- I do become tired, but I want to stay awake.

Lately I haven't really been eating while I've been up, and if I have, it's usually fairly healthy such as oatmeal.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFellow View Post
I just go on really long walks until my feet have blisters and my toes start cramping, then I head home and have the best nights sleep anyone has ever had.

All that fresh air, combined with being around people, heavy traffic and society for a few hours, it really drains me.

As opposed to going to the gym (which I do sometimes)...the gym is good excersize but doesn't really push boundaries as far as SA is concerned.
Thanks for your advice and sorry I haven't responded earlier! I think I might start doing some exercise while I'm up at night. At least I would be productive then!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upndownboi View Post
i used to get this a lot from having little to focus on at night while not being tired enough to sleep. my darkest moods were usually at night/early hours.

going to the gym helped, as well as generally helping ur mental health its also easier to get to sleep. also, i sometimes take otc sleeping tablets (doxylamine) or magnesium, also i play videogames that focus my mind until i'm falling asleep, also sometimes relaxing audiobooks like alan bennetts reading of wind in the willows once im in bed, i tried listening to comedy audio books in bed but they just ended up keeping me awake cos they were too funny lol
Thanks for replying and sorry I haven't gotten back earlier! My sleeping habit has gotten a bit better since posting this thread, but it's still a problem (it's actually 3:30 am now as I'm writing this). I'm going to try to do more productive things while I'm up at night and then hopefully, if my sleeping problem doesn't improve, I'll at least accomplish some things!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklebelle View Post
I have clinical depression so I'm depressed pretty much all the time, but I feel so much worse at night. I feel super lonely and hopeless.

Yeah absolutely, I feel this a lot of the time.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm the exact same way, can totally relate... I love staying up late, for some reason I just hate going to sleep early I don't know why, and on the days I can sleep in I usually do til 2, only wake up early on Tues & Thurs when I have school, and that's a bi*ch!
I always wondered if I was actually depressed, but I don't know, each day is kinda different for me in terms of feelings, well damn, every hour is actually different, but night time definitely gets me down sometimes. I guess cause you feel unproductive you wanna stay up later, you really don't want the day to end, or so what I think.. Always have to smoke some herb so I can feel ok and start getting drowsy... even kinda feel that way right now

If you need a Kratom vendor, PM Me
Zerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Most days I suffer from extreme depression myself. The night however (and I mean late at night) when everyone in my house has fallen asleep, and also get the feeling (illusion maybe) that most of the people I know are also asleep I tend to find a moment of temporary peace. that's why I end up sleeping after 4am, listening to music and surfing on my PC.
Lord Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

I love the alone time late at night to reflect on my day and relax by myself. But I think having a good nights sleep is also something important to someone with SA because you tend to think clearer and more open to socializing when you're not tired.
Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,

I stay up until around 2 to 4 a.m. and wake up around 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. I would like to have a more normal sleep schedule, but for some reason I feel the need to stay up late, even though it makes me depressed that night and then when I can't wake up early the next day. But at the same time, if I go to bed early, I get depressed that I'm not staying up late.

What could I do? I know I should probably just go to sleep early, but I don't know how I'll be able to.
Night time is when i get most lonely and depressed too. I think thats quite common.

I cope by absorbing myself in a computer game to take my mind off things, listening to "happy" music, i.e with good memories. Or I go on MSN and talk to people or try and make friends on here.

Have you tried maybe having a bath, then laying in bed and reading? you'll feel relaxed and the book will take your mind off things until your tired and sleep, you will think about the book as you drift off. Maybe worth a pop?
geon106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, I know how you feel I feel that way at times. I noticed the days I do or feel like I did something productive it goes away but if I'm home all day doing absolutely nothing, especially during the warm months I just feel I'm wasting my life away and get in all depressed mode.
Whatev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

It always takes me forever to go to sleep, and sometimes in the time I'm awake my mind generates all these depressing thoughts. Then I start crying and stay awake even longer.

Stupid brain, I just want some sleep!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Feeling extremely depressed at night time?

I get super depressed at night too. I think it's cause it's so quiet that it makes me feel lonely. As others have said going for a walk or working out helps. I text with my friend sometimes late at night and that helps a bit too but I don't wanna be a burden and do it every night.

I stay up late, like OP, and have trouble waking up early and regret staying up late every night. I smoke weed sometimes and or take Nyquil to fall asleep but really need to find a better way.
FTFADIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,

Staying up between 2 and 4 is not good if you are feel down hun, you could try changing your sleep pattern and move the things you do late at night to maybe in the morning or later in the day. You could build in a routine that you follow before going to sleep and have something planed to do in the morning that requires you to get up early.

What other people think of you is none of your business

L-O-S-E Y-O-U-R-S-E-L-F
Lasair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,

Yeah I have the same issue. I can be tired, but I can't close my eyes and relax. I end up watching something on netflix even though my eyes tell me to go to sleep, my mind keeps moving. Thats when I start to get lonely and wish someone was there to hold me and to fall asleep with. Even if I had a great day, being alone at night by myself just makes me feel down.
laura1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that maybe you can go for a walk or do some exercise so you will be tired and just sleep instead of being depressed?
Amna25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for all your responses

Sorry about some of you who have the same issue.

I've been feeling a little better at night, which is good. I tried to exercise a couple nights ago but was too lazy lol. I'm going to try again though!

Good luck with your nights!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

last 10 yuears+ most of those years I don't sleep at night!!, I enjoy watching TV! it helps a lot ! trust me
straightarrows is offline   Reply With Quote