X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default facial muscles twitching when in social situation

Anyone have the problem that when anxiety is high their lips / cheek muscles start twitching, or even trying to smile its very twitchy, or eyebrows twitching? or is it just me? I hope I dont have some other disorder, im really hoping its just the anxiety.
sleepysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: facial muscles twitching when in social situation

I don't know if it's related to my anxiety but my nose and eyebrows used to twitch a lot...possibly?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysmurf
Anyone have the problem that when anxiety is high their lips / cheek muscles start twitching, or even trying to smile its very twitchy, or eyebrows twitching? or is it just me? I hope I dont have some other disorder, im really hoping its just the anxiety.
I remember having such a problem during picture taking day in the sixth grade. The photographer and a bunch of classmates that were watching made a big deal out of it, I guess I had a mini panic attack and got real nervous getting my picture taken with everyone watching. I should have stayed home that day.

I remember a model that posted here about having that problem during photo shoots. If it only happens in social situations that make you nervous then it's just part of SAD.
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know my eye tends to twitch.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I get this allllll the time when I'm starting to panic. It bothers me to know that people can see it happening so I often rub the area when it starts twitching and it goes away.
I don't think its a big deal really, but I'm sure its just the anxiety.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

My face twitches especially when I try to smile when I am nervous, especially when I am being one on one introducing myself or greeting someone
NJexplorer313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

my lips quiver when i am thinking of words, but i don't say them... well, at least they used to. my friends gave me hella **** for it, so that habit may have burned off.
ezpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

I call it mouth retardation
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

went to doctor, turns out I have Enhanced Phsyiological Tremor and Essential Tremor.... great
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
went to doctor, turns out I have Enhanced Phsyiological Tremor and Essential Tremor.... great
hmm does it happen even when you are alone? I know anxiety can make essential tremor worse but if you don't have any tremor when you are alone and relaxed I would doubt the diagnosis. Doctors do miss diagnose sometimes.
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

yes it does... not nearly as bad though.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had eye twitching a few times some years ago and it was because of being nervous: very wound up. In any case I would strongly recommend meditation. You can easily separate it from religion, in fact there is quite a lot of fascinating work being done by the scientific community lately starting to explain how it works. It is very easy to start, the resuts are immediate and very positive. It took me half an hour a day for a week to start walking around being so mellow and at peace with myself, everything and everyone that others were getting the impression that I wasn't taking life seriously enough. Meditation is an extremely powerful tool to control and shape your emotions, If you train a bit you can detatch yourself from the stress and move to a peaceful balance from where it is easier to accept reality for what it is and devise sensible ways to work with it.
joe_span is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

i'm experiencing the nose twitch feeling (though it isn't visible when i look in the mirror) and am very concerned. its on and off all day, and worse when talking to my boss or thinking about stressfull things. any change in your condition sleepysmurf?
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

well my doc says that it's stress. surprise surprise. it's actually not happening anymore, after two weeks. pretty good news i guess.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've noticed my eye twitch real badly these days. I looked it up online and sites said it's due to stress and anxiety.
Hellosunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

I've been having this problem with my eye although apparently it's to do with a lack of sleep instead of the anxiety that's evoked from social situations (well, mainly because I still have them but my anxiety has been much less so this is how i know)

Another peculiarity of mine is to have my eyebrows racing up and down involuntarily when in a dangerous or major stress evoking situations (this may include experiencing extreme anger or fear.)

I've heard that taking a magnesium supplement can help with facial twitched quite a lot. I can only assume it has something to do with restoring the ion balances within the synapses through which nerve impulses are customarily transmitted. I know for a fact that calcium can also aid in the proper upkeep of the nervous system.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
I remember having such a problem during picture taking day in the sixth grade. The photographer and a bunch of classmates that were watching made a big deal out of it, I guess I had a mini panic attack and got real nervous getting my picture taken with everyone watching. I should have stayed home that day.

I remember a model that posted here about having that problem during photo shoots. If it only happens in social situations that make you nervous then it's just part of SAD.
well how dare those people make a big deal out of that.

it really does not make any sense at all that those people would be angry at you for being under more stress than they are.
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezpk View Post
my lips quiver when i am thinking of words, but i don't say them... well, at least they used to. my friends gave me hella **** for it, so that habit may have burned off.
how dare your friends give you **** for that. they do not realize that you are under a lot more stress than they are when you do that anyway; therefore, instead of being angry with you, they should try to understand or empathize.
jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

That happens to me too! I thought I was just weird lol... well, I am:-)
Catlover4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

I get lip twitching when smiling for photographs.
Ash09 is offline   Reply With Quote